Trucking an Atlantic/Prairie 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Sailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Atlantic Prarie 30 LRC
Has anyone had the experience of shipping a Prairie 30 over the road? She is short, fat & HIGH!! The windshield has to be removed, BUT there is a grab bar behind the windshield that is almost as high. I'll try to attach a picture. Has anyone removed the windshield & grab bar?

Attachments

• 5074481_20160610062641143_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5074481_20160610062641143_1_XLARGE.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 69
I think the road limit for height is 14', I seem to recall that from having mine shipped.

Most haulers try to keep loads as low as possible, 13'6" or less, as states generally have a 13'6" or 14' height limit. As this includes the trailer, many boat haulers have specially built boat trailers that are as low to the ground as possible. Above 13'6" (or 14'), things get crazy expensive!

You definitely need to get some measurements of the boat. Boat height is from the bottom of the keel to the highest part of the boat.

Jim

Thanks for your reply’s
My problem is removing the windshield and the grab bar, as in the picture in my first post. I’m not near the boat now to check it out. Does anyone know how the grab bar is installed? It is rock solid when you pull on it. I think that has to come out to get down to less than 14’.

Just looking at the picture, that grab bar is not mounted like a stanchion. It is bolted from the bottom. You can get to the front supports from underneath the helm but not the four side ones.

The grab bar looks like it was put on before the flybridge was installed. To get the last four off you will have to remove the flybridge which you undoubtably don't want to do.

You could just hacksaw/sawsall off the last two supports on each side, then later reinstall them using one of these stanchion support bases- https://search.defender.com/?expression=stanchion base&s=1

It would probably be just as strong as the original even if you just used lag screws into the fiberglass as those bases have four screws to hold them down.

But I am not sure that removing the grab rail will get where you want to be. Talk to a boat hauler about your route, what the height of the keel above the road will be and the maximum height you can live with. Then carefully measure and see.

David

Mine are attached at the bottom of the stantion with a threaded stud that is bolted through the fiberglass. mine can be removed along the sides through the holes that are in the side walls after the stereo speakers are removed. You can probably fit some inspection hatches in the sides to get access to the nuts.

So you gave up on the idea of bringing her up on her own bottom? That would have been a nice delivery run.

To get under the height restrictions you may have to remove the helm, helm seat and other furniture up there.

If you have to do that you likely will have to cut wires to lower the helm. Be extra careful to mark both ends of every wire so you know how to reconnect them.

If you're having the work done by someone rather than DIY, like I did, let me give you a tip. I flew the guy who was going to put everything back together from Portland, OR to Detroit to do the disassembly. He knew how to take it apart and was very careful to do it well.

Thank you all for your good ideas. Moondance is the same boat that Ddalme has. So
it looks like I can remove it. I will have to cut the holes in the side walls and then cover the holes with an inspection plate. I can’t get to the boat for another 4 weeks, but I feel better knowing the bar can be removed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom