Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

City: Manasquan
Vessel Model: 2007 Henriques 35 Express
Trolling Valves

I have a pair of Yanmar 6ly3-ETPs w/ ZF-280 gears.

There are electronic trolling valves installed but previous owner dissconected them at the helm control.

Anyone know why one would disconnect them ?

Any experience w reconnecting? There is no male plug in the vicinity of the empty female end of the plug
Moonzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If there is no matching plugs maybe they weren’t ever hooked up.
Question: How slow can you go at idle in gear?
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
If the valves are unknowingly turned on while traveling at normals speeds, expensive transmission damage occurs. One way to make sure this can’t happen is to disconnect them. Since I never plan to fish from my current boat, my valves are permanently locked close.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

I guess its possible
but there is a light on the dash that indicates when the troll valve is on and they are def installed on the gearbox.

About 5.5-6kts

Which can be fast for striped bass or even BFT when trolling downsea

Also would like to have the valves so I could creep forward if I had a fish on and needed to help for a few seconds in the cockpit
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
If the valves are unknowingly turned on while traveling at normals speeds, expensive transmission damage occurs. One way to make sure this can’t happen is to disconnect them. Since I never plan to fish from my current boat, my valves are permanently locked close.
Its impossible for this condition to happen w these electronic valves
Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Guru

5.5 kts is pretty fast for dead idle. If you have them and think you would use them, no reason not to hook them up again.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Its very fast.

I just need to figure out how to hook them up.

Not sure where to pick the harness up from the motors.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonzy1 View Post
I have a pair of Yanmar 6ly3-ETPs w/ ZF-280 gears.

There are electronic trolling valves installed but previous owner dissconected them at the helm control.

We have ZF 280-1A gears, and FWIW neither our gears nor our trolling valves are electronic. There's a separate cable running from manual Teleflex trolling valve controls at the helm...

Your 280s are electronic? Maybe the connection from helm controls feeds into
(or connects to) a harness that runs from gear levers to gears?

-Chris
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have ZF 280-1A gears, and FWIW neither our gears nor our trolling valves are electronic. There's a separate cable running from manual Teleflex trolling valve controls at the helm...

Your 280s are electronic? Maybe the connection from helm controls feeds into
(or connects to) a harness that runs from gear levers to gears?

-Chris
Yes, my valves and shift control are all electronically controlled. No mechanical cables. There is a wire bundle that runs from the helm control head (levers) and a disconnected plug that is also connected to the trolling indicator light on the dash. All wired together. This must get connected to a harness someplace but there is no mating end visible anywhere. Info is sparse on the Internet for this as well.

I think there should be an interface that plugs into the stbd and port Electronic interface modules. They are easily accessible. Need a manual but hard to find.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
On some, there is a pulse wheel and sensor on the output coupling that plugs into the harness. This way the system can actually monitor shaft rpm and vary the t-valve to keep the setting constant. Maybe that is what is missing.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #11
Guru

What brand controls? Is there an electrical drawing or installation manual for the controls?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 07-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #12

Yanmar electronic controls

Was just speaking w my mechanic

Should be a wire bundle that goes from he processor to he controls

I have the pigtail at the dash
Just need the one hat runs from the processor

Must be stashed in the dash somewhere
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Saint Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: Lisa's Island
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Trolling Valve

I am a marine controls distributor so here are the facts about solenoid shift trolling valves. These can only be used with electronic engine control systems (so if you look in the engine room you will find your processors), you can contact me with the info off the label and I will help you out. Almost all marine electronic control systems have built in safeties to prevent any damage to the transmission while in the troll mode. If you advance the throttle while in the troll mode the electronic controls will close the trolling valve in full lock up position until you come back to the lower rpm.

In the old days you had a manual cable that operated the troll and sometimes captains would forget they were in troll mode and throttle up to get on plane. If run like this for any length of time it would burn the clutch pack requiring the transmission to be rebuilt.

You can reach me at 904-260-9756 or at edr@controlmastersinc.com for assistance.

Safe Boating!
Raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:16 AM   #14

City: Lottsburg
electronic trolling valve for twin disc transmission or safety valve so dont damage

Is there any know devices made for twin disc that has a safety valve or electronic to keep from tearing up trans . Had mechanical cable and they went above rpm and now new trans is damaged any way to have a fail safe just wondering
Buddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
Is there any know devices made for twin disc that has a safety valve or electronic to keep from tearing up trans . Had mechanical cable and they went above rpm and now new trans is damaged any way to have a fail safe just wondering
I have TD gears with cable operated trolling valves that I use for salmon fishing. I made a lockout plate that that I screw into the top of the throttle binacle with wing nuts when I'm trolling. With the plate in place, the engines can't go above idle. I'd post a picture but I'm not presently near the boat.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:38 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Hayden
I reconnected mine by tracing the wires and finding the right connections. No male plug either, but a bit of DIY wiring did the trick. Just make sure you double-check the manual or get advice from someone who knows their way around those Yanmars.
26permacraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #17

City: Lottsburg
Could you send pic please
Buddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:16 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
Since my earlier post, we've changed boats... and now have Twin Disc gears with electronically-controlled trolling valves. Haven't worked with them very much yet; the control system had originally been incorrectly installed, took a while to figure that out and get it sorted.

The control mechanism manages degree of slippage, while engines stay at idle. Don't know if there's even a way to increase engine RPM with the trolling valves engaged.

-Chris
Old 01-12-2024, 10:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Saint Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: Lisa's Island
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Most of the electronic engine controls allow you to increase throttle in troll but at the same time start closing the trolling valves proportional to the increase in throttle. They have a setpoint in the controls so that when your rpm reaches the max rpm setpoint the trolling valve is disengaged and you go back to full lockup. It is a safety device to keep you from burning up the clutch packs in the transmission. Just remember you cannot use the trolling for docking as the response of the clutch packs is too slow.
Raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:13 AM   #20
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I've always wondered why transmission manufacturers don't just offer a 2 speed transmission for this purpose instead of a trolling valve to slip the clutches. Then you could just shift to low gear to go slower for trolling and docking if desired.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote