Trip South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtytom

Veteran Member
We plan on leaving Chesapeake Va end of February for Florida. I know boats travel the ICW all year just wondering about traveling south the month of March.

DT

The further north you are the more likely that the water to the docks is shut off. You might consider some extra hose on board if you have to run a longer line ashore.

Shouldn't be a problem...we left Jersey December 15th and hit Norfolk around the 20th and Oriental at Christmas. Many places didn't have water but more than half did or had it at the fuel dock or would help get water to your boat. Just plan on carrying a couple days worth in your tanks. Once you are down around Morehead City, NC...just about everyone had their water on.

We are heading back through the Cheasapeake in the beginning or April and I don't expect any problems.

We plan on leaving Chesapeake Va end of February for Florida. I know boats travel the ICW all year just wondering about traveling south the month of March.

DT
The point has been made that some marinas in the northern most part of your voyage may have the water turned off at the docks. By calling ahead, you can find out if you'll be able to get water (and pumpout services if needed).

If there's no ice on the water in Chesapeake, VA when you leave, I doubt you'll find any further south.

You can research long range weather forecasts at various points along your route to see what to expect.

You don't mention if you have heat on your boat or if you have a helm that's enclosed or protected from the weather. Those would be considerations. Bring warm clothing and blankets, especially if you plan on anchoring over night.

If you can find a warm week to leave, you'll be far enough south that cold temperatures will not be as likely.

One can travel long distances with minimum water , DIESEL however is required to get south.

I would be concerned with having enough fuel to make Norfolk Va with no effort , south of there enough pit stops will be open.

From Chessy VA , that should be no problem.

From further north NY or Boston open fuel stops is a concern, as not every commercial fish docks will bother with small fills.

A Baja funnel is good as many commercial docks have hose ends far too large to fit yacht style deck fills.

Last edited:
Any of the cruising guides or activecaptain.com will have marina listings with phone numbers so a simple call in advance will let you know if fuel and/or water are available.

I think you'll find from South Carolina south, all marinas will be open for business as usual.

In 2009, we took the boat to New Bern, NC in November. Then left there on January 11th enroute to the Keys. Had long underwear on until April. No real issues at all. If your bridge in enclosed, you will find that a sunny day is just like being in a greenhouse. Not a T- shirt environment perhaps, but certainly quite comfortable. At night, sleeping bags worked fine. It was a great trip during one of the colder winters in recent records. Only had one or two incidents where the marina's pipes were frozen & no water was available. Once we were out of NC that sort of thing was done with. Fuel was never an issue. Have a ball

Just a reminder, you will want to fill your fuel tanks in Norfolk. You will not see those prices anywhere else on the east coast.

A loud horn , a working cell phone , and a VHF are required at many bridges to wake the bridge opener .

During winter most have the TV on and never look outside.

Our 10G starting cannon has been required to wake the bridge person on more than one occasion.

No cell phone then.

Back
Top Bottom