Trip from North Michigan to NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTCT

Vessel Name
Belvedere
Vessel Make
Viking 60 CPSY
Hello all, new poster but long time reader.

I'm looking for advice on marinas and points of interest for my trip from St. Ignace MI heading south on the east shore of Michigan, through Detroit into Lake Erie, through the Welland Canal into Lake Ontario, then taking the NYS canal system from Oswego to the Hudson river.

A little information that may help:
Planning to start on Friday 7/23 with my first reservation at Presque Isle State Harbor for a few nights
We have the rest of the summer to make the voyage
New to me 60 ft. Viking - cruise 10 - 20 knots
Can do 60 - 120 miles per day
My experience on this boat is limited
Family of 5 + small dog
Wife with limited boating experience + 3 teenage boys
21' - 6" air draft (could be a few ft. less w/ dome removal)
5' - 0" water draft
I have a captain available if needed to assist with the Welland Canal transit, although I just read that the Canadian border may be open to Americans in early August, but not counting on it
Eventual destination is NC area in Sept - October, then to Florida for few months

Shout out to Peter (Pau Hana) Novamar Insurance
Strongly recommend!
Thank you Peter!

Any Advice is much appreciated!
Craig

Welcome aboard. We brought our last boat from Virginia to Michigan but we went through the TSW in Canada. Finding marinas wasn’t really a problem but your boat is larger so that may make it a bit more difficult. We didn’t usually pick a marina until a few hours before we wanted to stop. Occasionally we did make reservations the day before but sometimes had to change them due to weather. I am not sure they are letting tourists into Canada yet in order to do the Welland. Better check on that. Good luck with the trip.

NY canals are problematic currently as many sections are closed due to high water.... which limits are draft.
Welland is not open yet to recreational boating AFA IK.
We are stuck on Lk Ontario waiting for canals to reopen.

Isn’t Canada still closed to US recreational boats? Meaning you have to be able to clear the low vertical clearances of the western end of the Erie Canal to stay in the US.
Also Erie Canal speed limit is 10 mph.

Last edited:
He will absolutely not be able to do the western Erie Canal with his air draft. He will have to do the Welland. I believe on the AGLCA web site they have Canadian captains that will take the boat through the Welland but you can’t be on the boat. Americans have to stay in the US at least until August 7th, maybe…

Welcome aboard. No specific recommendations, but there is a sizable migration of loopers on the same route but opposite direction. You might consider joining the AGLA. If you and your family are eligible to enter Canada in August you could consider the Trent Severn route.

Thanks for the info everyone. Fingers crossed regarding Canada border opening on 8/9 +/-. See the article link below.

https://poststar.com/canada-will-op...a231924.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

I would love to do the Trent-Severn, but I have had several people say that my boat is a little big. Any thoughts?

Either way, I will avoid the western section of the Erie canal and do the Oswego canal section south, then pick up the eastern section of the Erie canal at Oneida Lake. I'm told that as long as I'm lower that 22 ft. air draft, I'll be ok. Can anyone confirm this route and bridge clearances?

I realize that I might need to slow things down for the Canadian border and the NYS canal flooding issues. Luckily I have all summer to do the trip. I will definitely look into joining the AGLA.

Comodave, any recommendations for marinas and other must see places (or places to avoid) for the family in your neck of the woods and down through Lake St. Clair?

Your boat falls within the TSW stated size limits.
About half of the TSW is 6' max draft and the balance 8'.
I have plans, logs, photos of our 2019 TSW cruise on my Bacchus website... Cruising notes... 2019 TSW cruise.
I highly recommend the route as parts are spectacular including Georgian Bay that is the "Gateway" to the TSW. We connected with several TF members along the way and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I understand that the TSW admin folks are helpful at answering question and providing local / current water level info that can have a bearing.

Your boat falls within the TSW stated size limits.
About half of the TSW is 6' max draft and the balance 8'.
I have plans, logs, photos of our 2019 TSW cruise on my Bacchus website... Cruising notes... 2019 TSW cruise.
I highly recommend the route as parts are spectacular including Georgian Bay that is the "Gateway" to the TSW. We connected with several TF members along the way and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I understand that the TSW admin folks are helpful at answering question and providing local / current water level info that can have a bearing.

Agreed. You'll find other boats of similar size on the waterway. Some of the narrow passages may be a bit white-knuckle if you're new to the boat, but it's all doable. North Channel and Georgian Bay are spectacular cruising grounds. Southern Lake Huron, the Detroit River, and Lake Erie is almost all marina-to-marina with relatively few natural attractions.

Agreed. You'll find other boats of similar size on the waterway. Some of the narrow passages may be a bit white-knuckle if you're new to the boat, but it's all doable. North Channel and Georgian Bay are spectacular cruising grounds. Southern Lake Huron, the Detroit River, and Lake Erie is almost all marina-to-marina with relatively few natural attractions.
Which is precisely why the folks doing the Great Loop this year are experiencing what is pretty much a ho-hum trip. They just have no way of knowing how much better, spectacular even, the Canadian heritage canals are.

Back
Top Bottom