Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Trinka Dinghy cradle options

Going to look at a Trinka 10' dinghy tomorrow. One of my concerns is how to stow it on the saloon roof. Currently there is a rack that consists of 2 rails for my fiberglass hulled inflatable. The Trinka hull looks to be curved bow to stern and likely won't rest on the rails except at one point. Curious what other people use for round bottom dinghies.

This isn't the boat, but it is a Trinka 10 to show the curves of the hull.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pictrinka10102e.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	61053

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Why not to screw a hook on the dinghy bow and stern wooden part to tie it to the rail. You could even mold FB rail on the dinghy hull to make a tight fit. Just a thought
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Guru

The people who build the Trinka make a set of teak chocks for the dinghy.
They line the chocks with leather. Not inexpensive (do I remember $450?) but nice!
The stainless brackets are not included...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0228.jpg   IMG_0227.JPG  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Good luck on picking up the Trinka 10 . We have ours at home for some paint and repair. From the pick you can see they have a lot of shape . I bet Sean could built you a cradle that would be nice a maintenance free.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2357.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
TF Site Team

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2358.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

City: G
Chocks are the only satisfactory way for something with this much shape as post #3.
Not hard to make if you have the tools and the skills but will take time...if available for 4to500 then thats a fair price
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone beach View Post
Chocks are the only satisfactory way for something with this much shape as post #3.
Not hard to make if you have the tools and the skills but will take time...if available for 4to500 then thats a fair price
I will make a set for our Trinka when our boat gets home. I'm thinking that teak although pretty is not what I'll use. I do have some lovely teak I could use but...
Perhaps some nice maintenance free KingStarboard in white? I do like the stainless supports pictured in my earlier post.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
TF Site Team

I had davits made for ours . I wish I had the option to store it on the roof as well .
Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Don't know how robust the Trinka hull is, but I found a set of these Weaver chocks on Craig's List for a couple hundred $. If I buy the 11-ft Bluewater Baby that I plan to look at next week, I'll store it on them.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Don't know what your stern looks like, regarding a swim platform, but I carry my 8' Trinka on the swim platform with Weaver davits.
Attached Thumbnails
dinghy_davit-001.jpg  
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
On the subject of dinghy cradle options, do you Weaver davits users ever find the dinghy obscuring too much of your view from the cockpit? Does the convenience of easy on, easy off outweigh any impact on the view? Or lowering the dinghy back into the water virtually always part of anchoring and therefore not an issue? Seems like the best way for me someday, but I have no experience with the realities.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
On the subject of dinghy cradle options, do you Weaver davits users ever find the dinghy obscuring too much of your view from the cockpit? Does the convenience of easy on, easy off outweigh any impact on the view? Or lowering the dinghy back into the water virtually always part of anchoring and therefore not an issue? Seems like the best way for me someday, but I have no experience with the realities.
I don't find the visibility issue a big deal. When at the dock or anchored, I drop the dinghy 1/2 way to improve visibility, ventilation, etc. in the cockpit. We have brackish water here so there is a cosmetic benefit to keeping it out of the water as much as possible. The convenience of the Weaver brackets far outweigh any inconvenience IMO

Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
I like the halfway drop approach.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The only time I had a dinghy on the stern I had it on top of horizontal spars just aft of the transom and level w the sheer. Kind of an extension of the cap rail. I did it this way so as to not interfere w visability aft. I would'nt have a dinghy as Heron shows in post #12 .. because of the visability problem. Also there is reflected noise and diesel fumes asuming stern exhaust.

My dinghy is now on the cabin roof. And of course that presents it's own problems.

Re post #3 I can't belive anybody'd paind a dinghy black. I can say that as I'm fairly sure that's not a member boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I would'nt have a dinghy as Heron shows in post #12 .. because of the visability problem. Also there is reflected noise and diesel fumes asuming stern exhaust.

I always nose in to a dock and steer from the bridge 98% of the time so, as I said, visibility is not an issue for me. No noise issues noted, and maybe a bit of fumes on start-up, but overall it's not a problem..
Old 01-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Don't know how robust the Trinka hull is, but I found a set of these Weaver chocks on Craig's List for a couple hundred $. If I buy the 11-ft Bluewater Baby that I plan to look at next week, I'll store it on them.

Those would work for a Trinka I would think. Don't know what Bluewater baby is but those Weaver chocks seem versatile.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Those would work for a Trinka I would think. Don't know what Bluewater baby is but those Weaver chocks seem versatile.
Hi, Jack. Hope all's good.

A BWB is an 11-ft rigid dinghy, somewhat like a Whaler, but "lighter" (320 lbs). We're seriously considering one since fishing's a big part of our lives.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I always nose in to a dock and steer from the bridge 98% of the time so, as I said, visibility is not an issue for me. No noise issues noted, and maybe a bit of fumes on start-up, but overall it's not a problem..
Did'nt mean to offend and I read that I only did slightly. Everybody's boat and situation is different. The dinghy on the swim step is very very handy and it could be said (generally speaking) it's the best for most trawlers. Now that I'm not in Alaska I'd prolly have a step and a dinghy on it. The hard dinghy I have. But I do get in a 30' slip w/o paying for overhang w my dink on the roof. Soon I'll be trying out my aluminum canoe in that role.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #19
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I like it Ian, I'm only a fan of Trinkas on the dock or other peeps boats. Pretty as a picture but oh so tender for a tender. I'm a fan of flat bottom wide skiffs that can be stepped in from the mother ship into without much fear of going overboard. Boston Whalers are a boat I grew up with, have owned several and would never own again unless I had kids who wanted to play boats. I like big, herky flat bottom tenders that are capable of carrying loads and can tough it out at the dinghy dock without fear. Larry and Lena (Hobo) can vouch for the last one I built. A pram on steroids. Like your Bluewater Baby.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:41 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post

I currently have a 10' rib that can both sit on the stern with Seawise davits (similar to Weaver) as well as be lifted to the boat deck with a crane. I find that the rib on the stern doesn't hurt visibility while under way but I do admit that it can interfere with the view while at anchor. However, it is very easy to drop the dinghy down then raise it again.

I have a 10' hard shell dinghy being built now that I will put on my Seawise davits as well as put on the boat deck. I also am thinking about what type of chock would work. I would like to be able to use the same chocks for either the hard shell or the rib.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote