Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Trawlers in Cuba?

I went to Cuba in January for a week on a World Afairs Councel trip. The whole time I was there I was thinking about how this whole new word is at our back door. So much to explore via the coastline on a trawler. Has anyone been there by boat? Our local guide told us of many boaters who come across and hand out on the outlining islands. He said a large number of them are Dentists....go figure.

I do think there are some big changes in the air regarding Cuba and those changes may coming in the not to distant future.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
I went to Cuba in January for a week on a World Afairs Councel trip. The whole time I was there I was thinking about how this whole new word is at our back door. So much to explore via the coastline on a trawler. Has anyone been there by boat? Our local guide told us of many boaters who come across and hand out on the outlining islands. He said a large number of them are Dentists....go figure.

I do think there are some big changes in the air regarding Cuba and those changes may coming in the not to distant future.
Good can't wait..Cuba is a great island and will take a while to overdevelop like Florida.

Lot's of US citizens go down there...many "off the books"...but some with US approval. A few years back a flotilla of Grand Banks (I think) went with an all women crew...it was written up in one of the boating mags.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

I sailed to Cuba in 99', as part of The Tampa to Havana Race. We were given free electric, water and dockage for a week being we were "Fully Hosted".
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sea View Post
I sailed to Cuba in 99', as part of The Tampa to Havana Race. We were given free electric, water and dockage for a week being we were "Fully Hosted".
I think you have to be sponsored if not part of a government deal...i's not illegal to go to Cuba...just to do certain "commerce" with them from what I've heard/read....
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Guru

We have been there on our sailboat. As soon as it either become legal or we get a writing assignment from a major publisher we will be there again on our trawler. The Trawler Beach House: Cruising the South Coast of Cuba – East to West. Right now we're enjoying the Bahamas. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
We have been there on our sailboat. As soon as it either become legal or we get a writing assignment from a major publisher we will be there again on our trawler. The Trawler Beach House: Cruising the South Coast of Cuba – East to West. Right now we're enjoying the Bahamas. Chuck
Cuba is a HUGE land mass. So much coastline. It will be a tremendous economic boon for the country if all us diesel-drivin' fools are open to gunkholing it.

What's the fuel infrastructure like? Quality of fuel? Costs? Anyone know?

Ai Carumba!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Cuba is a HUGE land mass. So much coastline. It will be a tremendous economic boon for the country if all us diesel-drivin' fools are open to gunkholing it.

Ai Carumba!
Fuel doesn't seem to be an issue, but I'm sure it's because of faily low demand down there for the last 40+ years.

As when travelling anywhere outside the states except Canada or big yachting centers... I would use a Baja filter and/or only fill 1/2 my tanks at a time and have a good polishing system.

I hope Cuba opens up by the time I fully retire!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
I went to Cuba in January for a week on a World Afairs Councel trip. The whole time I was there I was thinking about how this whole new word is at our back door. So much to explore via the coastline on a trawler...............
There was a magazine article a couple years ago (I think it was in PassageMaker) about the possibility of the US Government allowing travel there by US citizens and the opportunities for travel to Cuba by boat.

It talked about a "loop" of Florida to the Bahamas, Cuba, and back to Florida.

Sometimes when people ask me where I'm taking my boat next I'll tell them "Cuba" but then I'll admit that I was kidding.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Ai Carumba!
Ben, We never had an issue with fuel but we filtered everything that went into our tanks. You arrange for the fuel a couple of days in advance and it's brought to your dock in 55 gallon drums. You pay for what you order whether you use it or not. The fuel is siphoned from the drums into your tanks usually by a plastic hose and a little manual suction. It's an interesting process and all part of the adventure. There aren't really any fuel docks for you to pull up to. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Good can't wait..Cuba is a great island and will take a while to overdevelop like Florida.

Lot's of US citizens go down there...many "off the books"...but some with US approval. A few years back a flotilla of Grand Banks (I think) went with an all women crew...it was written up in one of the boating mags.
If Nicolas Maduro is elected president of Venezuela (and it looks like he will be), expect nothing to change in Cuba. On the other hand if the opposition candidate is elected, look out Cuba.....change is a come'in.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
There have been several big threads on Cruisers' Forum about visiting Cuba. It is currently illegal for a US Citizen to go there except in some very narrow State Department approved circumstances. That said, many people do go. One of my employees spent most of December there, flying to Mex City and then on the Cuba. The Cubans are accommodating in that they do not stamp your passport to show entry/departure. Going in by boat is another issue. You can and may well be tracked by either the CG or Homeland Security. As someone noted, the legal issue is mainly spending money there, the "Trading with the Enemy Act". Under Bush II, enforcement was quite strict and the penalties are onerous, i.e. boat confiscation and huge fines. The last few years, enforcement has slacked off but the penalties do remain. If you go and are one of the unlucky ones stopped on return, you can lose your boat and face very, very substantial fines. To me, until the law changes, the risk is not worth the trip.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
It is currently illegal for a US Citizen to go there except in some very narrow State Department approved circumstances. .
The current government in Cuba can't last forever. I really feel a "Velvet Revolution" is in the near future. If it can happen in the Middle East, it's not long for Cuba, 90 miles off our shore.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #13

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
It is illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba. However, in case of an emergency, you could stop there for repairs and then continue on to your destination. I don't think your vessel would be seized upon departure, unless a case of cigars find their way aboard.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Guru

Bilateral Economic Relations
Remittances play an important role in Cuba's state-controlled economy, with much of that funding coming from families in the United States. In 2009, the United States announced the lifting of restrictions on family travel and remittances to Cuba, expanded the list of items eligible for humanitarian export to Cuba, and announced new regulations for U.S. telecommunications companies to expand the flow of information to Cuba. In 2011, the United States announced regulatory changes that increase purposeful travel including religious, cultural, educational, and people-to-people travel; expand the individuals and groups eligible to send and receive remittances; and allow all U.S. international airports to apply to provide charter services to Cuba (previously only three airports were authorized).
Travel to Cuba is restricted by U.S. regulations to licensed travelers engaged in a set of specified activities. All U.S. travel to Cuba must be licensed by the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and must fall into one of 12 categories. Further information on the licensing process can be obtained from OFAC or at its website. Those contemplating a visit to Cuba should consult the consular information page about the country.

Cuba