Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Trawlers 101 - Part II

TB,

" glass half empty mentally" is wayyyy below the belt and worse than anything I've ever said to anyone. But your'e right about the percentages part but from what I've read and heard Ted Bundy was a really nice guy to everyone he didn't kill. I threw my opnion out but as I said it's not my opnion that counts but what the rules say and perhaps what the members say. Well wev'e got your vote but you didn't need to cut so low. And yes I do expect Mike to know the rules and abide by them** .. and if they say 5% of ones posts can be comercial advertising*** ..* as I've said before, I'll support that.This is Nomad Willy over and OUT.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
RED

Nomadwilly
You might like to know that "over and out" is considered inappropriate for radio communications. The reason is the meaning of the terminology.
"Over" signifies "I have finished this sentence, thought, etc, and I am waiting for your response". It signifies you intend to continue on the frequency.
"Out" signifies "I have finiished this conversation, and am terminating" which then clears up the frequency for other users.
Another popular termination for marine radio is "this is 'boatname', clear to 16". This again signifies you have cleared the channel for other users and are returning to radio watch on the calling channel.

Just trying to be helpful...
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

I think it's up to the forum hosts, John and Doug, to determine what constitutes advertising and business solicitation and what doesn't. And to decide the limits of this sort of information.

Mike is taking every opportunity to promote his broker business--- otherwise why put the information in the signature line? I suspect any business owner would do the same given the opportunity. Like Eric, I took issue with some of the broad-brush statements in Mike's trawler definition posts, but, like Eric, these were just my opinions. The question of business promotion I'm happy to leave to John and Doug. Seeing what a person does for a living can be helpful in judging that person's credibility with regards to information, opinions, experiences, or suggestions they post to the forum.

So until John and Doug make a ruling to the contrary, I wonder if I can include a promotional blurb in my signature. How about:

C. Marin Faure
Boeing Sales & Marketing
http://www.boeing.com/

That way if anyone on the forum is thinking about buying a jetliner--- right now we have a few open slots on 777 deliveries--- they can contact me. Everyone knows yacht owners have more money than God, so how 'bout a nice jetliner to go with that trawler? Not that this would do me any good--- Boeing doesn't pay its sales people commissions.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"By the way mike that doesn't look like a 40' boat in your Avitar."

I don't know ,could it be 40 ft high?

It certainly is an example of a smooth brown water , "unsafe at every speed" , style vessel built as a house afloat.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Model: Steber Persuader
Trawlers 101 - Part II

Sometimes when I read a thread like this and some others I came across I question the little time I spend on this forum.
It reminds me of the condominum meeting of Seinfeld's father In Florida.... Particularly the few episodes about the Cadillac...

-- Edited by Marc1 on Monday 19th of October 2009 04:43:18 AM
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #26
Guru

I hate it when a guy goes to church and after the sermon at the coffee hour he passes out as many business cards as possible.
Marin and FF I agree w you 110% but you better take me off the waiting list Marin.
Marci... what about the Cadillac. You forgot to leave a business card.
RED I've said things more inappropriate than that on the radio. We don't get much radio practice up here except listening to fishermen and their radio propriety is from a different planet

over
Eric Henning
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Just for the heck of it why not read again Beede's Passagemaking tome (volume 1 ) and compare the list of his requirements for a passagemaker with the advertisers avatar.

FF
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #28
Guru

What for. This is a trawler forum not a passage makers forum.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

For fear of inciting a riot, and*taking into account*what Nordhavn is doing, I*pose this question in small print** *Is Beebe (1) not at all (2) a little bit (2) a lot (4) totally valid in 2009 or just interesting reading like Conrad?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
Guru

Trawlers 101 - Part II

Quote:
marinetrader wrote:

Lighten up people. My goal here is to help new trawler buyers. I deal with many people day in and day out who have no clue of where to begin. I'm simply trying to give them some direction. Oh and by the way, I own a 40 ft. twin screw so I do know a little about what I am talking about.

But if you want to split hairs on the the fuel consumption of a single vs. twin, go ahead; you obviuosly have nothing else better to do..
Well, I think we have the Trifecta winner. Arrogant - Lighten up people. Condescending - you obviuosly have nothing else better to do.. AND advertising.
Does it get any better?* "I am the best, I know all, see all, do all.

Put me in the offended column. I'm not here to be lectured to.

-- Edited by 2bucks on Monday 19th of October 2009 06:52:06 PM
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Model: Steber Persuader

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Marci... what about the Cadillac. You forgot to leave a business card.

over
Eric Henning
Erici Henningi you could not afford my business card.

Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #32
FF
Guru

Trawlers 101 - Part II

Is Beebe (1) not at all (2) a little bit (2) a lot (4) totally valid in 2009 or just interesting reading like Conrad?

The ocean hasn't changed ,4 is still totally valid .

The problem is PC speak.

At one time those fine Trumphy 60 -75 ft cruisers we all droll over were correctly called HOUSE BOATS.

Call some bloated shoe box a "house boat" and the owner gets mad.

Same nonsense with "fast trawlers",folks are looking at the house shape and deck, not the vessels underwater build and engine ,which if observed would indicate Motor Yacht.

Of course we can argue how many angels fit on the head of a pin, but to me a TRAWLER is a boat for economical cruising , not dockside cottaging.

The sad reality is many folks would be far better off looking at actual Motor Yachts for their particular use of a vacation house.

Once again a hammer is a better nail driver than a torque wrench ,
tho torque wrench sounds like its owner is more knowledgable and sophisticated.

FF

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 04:14:00 AM
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Trawlers 101 - Part II

.so, is a fast tug a fast trawler or a slow motoryacht or a pilothouse with a smokestack?

A look under water will decide if its a long distance , cheap to keep DISPLACEMENT cruiser ., or a speedboat for the PC.

A simpler coarse filter is to look at the HP .

When you see twin 300+ de fulers , it isn't a slow + distance boat , unless its 75 or 80+ ft.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 04:27:29 AM
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

FF* While your points on wasted HP are correct, today's diesels can be throttled way back with no apparent issues. A good case is the Flemming. Tony F has sold a lot of boats on the concept of displacement speed at about 1.2 mpg or 18 knots at*about 0.6 mpg. 55'+ *Offshore, Tollycraft, Symbol, and OA state the same.* Certainly Piers could add to this.

And this is one of the reasons Beebe is growing old, modern super reliable lightweight diesels. Compare a Cat 343 (I love em by the way) to a C9 or C12
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #35
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Sorry about not being around here for the past few days. I really have no issue with the last line in MT's post. It does quantify his experience....somewhat. I think I might have a beef with what is in the signature line. I will think on it....
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #36

Trawlers 101 - Part II

To Marinetrader
I AM VERY NEW TO TRAWLER FORUM, BUT I*READ YOUR COMMENTS REGARDING TRAWLER OPTIONS,I FOUND THEM TO BE GREAT*FOR PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF*LOOKING*TO GATHER*INFORMATION.
I AM A SAILOR GATHERING*ALL*SUCH INFORMATION.
THANK YOU,

-- Edited by GEORGE N on Monday 2nd of November 2009 07:10:53 PM
GEORGE N is offline   Reply With Quote