Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #1

City: Leeds
Smile Trawlerman needed for research!

Hello!

I am a University student currently studying the marine insurance industry and I would hugely appreciate any responses to the following:
(any responses I will record as anonymous in my project)

1. ) What do you look for from your insurance company chosen for your vessel?

2.) Which marketing do you prefer personally? (select one please)

Industry editorials (i.e fishing news etc)
Social Media (i.e facebook, twitter etc)
Newspaper advertisements/articles
Sponsorships
Direct Email
Phone calls
Personal client-constumer (face to face contact)
Television/Media

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Stephanie
Stephanie_AnchorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The "trawlers" on this forum are yachts that have zero in common with commercial trawlers.

Most of the recreation boaters look for the lowest cost and easiest to obtain insurance.

The fear of a tea spoon of oil on the water and an insane Gov overreaction with fines is also a reason for insuring the boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
FYI, there are no fines if you report the spill and do your best to stop it as soon as it's discovered. And no government over reaction as well.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The "trawlers" on this forum are yachts that have zero in common with commercial trawlers.

Most of the recreation boaters look for the lowest cost and easiest to obtain insurance.

The fear of a tea spoon of oil on the water and an insane Gov overreaction with fines is also a reason for insuring the boat.

Ditto on both.
Boat shows are very effective for me.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_AnchorC View Post
Hello!

I am a University student currently studying the marine insurance industry and I would hugely appreciate any responses to the following:
(any responses I will record as anonymous in my project)

1. ) What do you look for from your insurance company chosen for your vessel?

2.) Which marketing do you prefer personally? (select one please)

Industry editorials (i.e fishing news etc)
Social Media (i.e facebook, twitter etc)
Newspaper advertisements/articles
Sponsorships
Direct Email
Phone calls
Personal client-constumer (face to face contact)
Television/Media

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Stephanie
First, item 2. I'm marketing blind. I don't respond positively to any marketing but do respond negatively to some. Any contact I didn't initiate is one such negative. I don't read newspaper ads and certainly don't respond to television ads for something as important as insurance. Not quite as bad as marketing drugs on tv.

I'm not saying marketing is bad. We own retail and market and a magazine dependent on ads. Just saying it doesn't work on me. I personally don't respond to another trying to take charge of my buying process. I take control.

INTERNET PRESENCE

When I want and need something I want to be able to research it online, on my own time. Websites need to be informative and complete. I don't like half truths or half information. Don't just tell me how wonderful your policy is, I want to see exactly what it covers, doesn't cover, and what items are optional. Honestly, I wish the sample policies were available online.

Once I've done my research, then I'll make contacts. Perhaps initially by email, then phone or in person. Again, I do not want to be sold. I want to be educated on the company and it's policies. I want my questions answered honestly and directly and "I don't know" is far better than dancing around it.

As to insurance company I want one that is financially stable and I want one that has demonstrated marine knowledge and expertise. Also, one right for the specific boat. I would not use the same company for a 16' fishing boat that I would for a 70' trawler.

Ultimately, I want one that provides all risks coverage. I don't like exclusions. In my mind, they're "evil". Every exclusion is a potential conflict or argument. It's a possible dispute down the road.

Last, I want an insurer who pays the right amount and does it promptly. I've never had a personal boat claim so I talk to others with similar boats who have. I pay premiums, I don't want an insurer who stalls to try to get you to take less. And, if it's my fault, I want them to treat the other persons the same way. I insure against hurting others or damaging their property. I don't insure to see a boat owner of a boat I collide with have to fight, go to court, and go without a boat for 3 years.

Flash and neon won't get me. Solid facts and integrity and a record of performance will

One last thing. If I'm dealing with someone and they've done well by me for decades, I'm highly unlikely to change. I choose carefully people I trust and can depend on. Especially people who won't lie or mislead me. One lie to me and it's "The End."

Wifey B: Ok, yeah he's not normal but I love him and he's good at what he does....and take that anyway you want. My hubby does it like he runs a business, very businesslike, professional. Firm but polite. Appreciative of help but firm in approach. Control freak? Perhaps although he gives those who work for him huge freedom. More like....method freak or like procedure freak or something, do it right.

Gonna say this too. Small boats one thing, but trawler and yacht people often are business savvy and use to dealing a certain way. They don't react like the young person with a lousy driving record watching the ads for anyone who might insure them. And however they've done things for 20+years, ain't likely to change folks.

We freaking love the gecko and even more the Aflac duck (I named him Ben, Ben Aflac). He worked for the owner of the gecko and we have never had their insurance and we've never had Aflac either. Me, I'd probably buy the Aflac if they'd let me meet the duck.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
FYI, there are no fines if you report the spill and do your best to stop it as soon as it's discovered. And no government over reaction as well.
I have twice witnessed the actions you deny. Once in NY State and once in Michigan.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Hi Stephanie,
I liked BandBs response. I'd say sponsorships or boat shows are your best option for getting your name out there without being obnoxious about it. We chose our insurance because of the price, they offered liveaboard insurance, and had insured another boat we had looked at.

I believe it is a REDUCED fine if you report a spill. Somewhere near half.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm in the marine engine business, so have lots of contact with vessel owners and others in the business.

When it came time to purchase insurance for my personal vessel, I started asking around. In short order there became a common theme of one agent and a few companies that were well regarded. A few others were verbally trashed.

The highly regarded local agent got my call and soon got my business. No complaints since.

Marketing or the internet played no role in this. I guess it qualifies as "word of mouth".
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: When I saw this thread title I was wondering what she was going to research with this trawlerman. It read like he was going to be the subject of some research or testing in the labs of a mad scientist. Not giving my hubby for that...but now answering questions is different.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #10

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Thumbs up

Trawlerman ... not really a (dictionary) word ... I had to look this one up too make sure.

Wikipedia: Trawlerman can refer to a sea-fisherman who works on a fishing trawler.

Learning something new every day ...
Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
I need an insurance but my boat is in St Maaten. Can you help me?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance, insurance, marine, trawler men, vessels