Old 12-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Regarding Sea Rays, they are great boats for a young family getting started in boating. That is what we did with a Sea Ray 36 SunDancer. All 4 of us would spend every weekend, year round on the boat. Much of our time was anchoring out, in and out of the water all day. Put some wetsuits on, and Winter water as well. With kids, you can work out the sleeping arrangements if you are flexible. Gas engines, so I ran it like a Trawler most of the time in regards to speed. We, or I should probably say me not my better half, got one foot itis and moved up. Should have kept her longer in retrospect. Great boat, and never gave me any problems.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
Thanks, I watched with lots of excitement.... then hand to face 🤦*♂️when I saw they sold their boat due to the third child. Lol pretty much my dilemma, for lack of a better word, at the moment.

All good things, just have to keep looking at the options!
When I think back to the arrival of our third child and his impact on our boating, it was significant.
We had a 30' sailboat, small inside compared to current designs, and we kept it in Sidney BC, while living in Port Moody, a 3 hr journey or more.
With 3 kids, getting the ferry every time we wanted to go boating was getting old. Our moorage was 1 mile (walking the most direct route) from the ferry foot ramp to our slip. W quickly decided the extra cost of moorage in Vancouver would be worth while, and moved to Thunderbird Marina in West Van. It was another 5 years before a bigger boat became necessary, and we moved up to a 37, sail. More elbow room again became a priority as the kids became teens, so another 6 years later we moved up to our 44 trawler. Then the kids got summer jobs, interests in the opposite sex, etc and stopped coming along. We have kept the trawler, as it remains the right size for our family. Now, when the kids come along, they do so in their own boats.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Trenton
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin has the berths you need for 3 kids and a wife and a price that will not impact their choice of colleges.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Buffalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
When I think back to the arrival of our third child and his impact on our boating, it was significant.

We had a 30' sailboat, small inside compared to current designs, and we kept it in Sidney BC, while living in Port Moody, a 3 hr journey or more.

With 3 kids, getting the ferry every time we wanted to go boating was getting old. Our moorage was 1 mile (walking the most direct route) from the ferry foot ramp to our slip. W quickly decided the extra cost of moorage in Vancouver would be worth while, and moved to Thunderbird Marina in West Van. It was another 5 years before a bigger boat became necessary, and we moved up to a 37, sail. More elbow room again became a priority as the kids became teens, so another 6 years later we moved up to our 44 trawler. Then the kids got summer jobs, interests in the opposite sex, etc and stopped coming along. We have kept the trawler, as it remains the right size for our family. Now, when the kids come along, they do so in their own boats.

Which model trawler fit your family of 5? We’re also looking at trawler but seems most in the 45’ range have the v berth in the bow with an aft cabin. We could easily have one of them crash on the salon couch if needed, but I’ve seen a few with a third bunk.

Was there a major benefit of the trawler vs the sail?

Thanks!
Browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Just throwing it out there.....a Bayliner 4788 with the three cabin layout might work well for a growing family. Not a trawler, and bigger than the wish list....but worth a look for sure.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
An Alaska 45 often has 3 cabins. But does it have enough living space for a family of 5 or so? It`s not just about sleeping cabins.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Bigger than you have asked about but good deals can be had on older Hatteras 58 extended deck house Motor Yachts. Our 3 kids were in the 6 and under age bracket and grew up with it. Pretty easy to single hand and I did not even have a bow thruster. Very capable for almost all missions short of an Atlantic or pacific crossing. Stabilizers are ideal if you plan to do much offshore cruising. 4 great 2 person staterooms so as kids get older each can bring a friend. Can carry a good sized RIB or Waverunner for water sports.
I did not see it if you mentioned budget but they are in the $250k-350k range. Very frugal on fuel if you run 7-8 kts but can hit double digits if you need the speed. Fairly economical to maintain (if that can be said about a boat!). Good luck in your search.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If taking young kids to sea,consider the safety advantage of walk around decks and high solid bulwarks. Of course they offer a "let`s climb this" as a kind of child`s "allurement", but still better than a rail or wire barrier.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #29

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Do consider the Albin line of cruisers in your searching:
https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/...ts/43-trawler/

This is just an example. Most, if not all, Albins have aft staterooms.More models: https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...currencyid=100
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Never realized 3 and 5 year olds needed their own cabin.

You can stack them cordwood at that age, and they fit almost anywhere.

Space while awake, is much more important than space while asleep.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 AM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Ouch. Was I too honest? I do that sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 AM   #32
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

An older couple, who are some of my favorite people in the world, traveled with their six children. They bought a VW van in Europe and crossed borders everywhere. Took a big pickup truck to Alaska and back several times, rented houseboats here and there. It's all doable. Or you can stay home and watch TV and play video games, free country.

In my not so humble opinion, too many people raise kids as house pets and princesses. Let them live in the world around them. They conquer the world or the world conquers them.

Kids grow fast. Buy a boat two sizes too big.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't expect you will first buy your ideal boat. Probably will take one, two, or three, more boats to get it "right"

Especially as young as the OP is and the family.

Too many life changes ahead.

Even experienced boaters change a couple boats when the first is ought when they were 30 something.

Financial hits can be overcome with buying a starter boat and liking it ....then moving up ...rather than the other way around.

A young couple with kids and busy careers are not gonna have a lot of time for a fixer upper AND still enjoy boating versus yard/dock sitting.

Climate dictates having a boat with a lot of inside or outside space.... a small interior boat that will get used only a limited amount of time no mater what the weather is...better be "big enough" or the marina facilities better be accommodating to family activity.

There are so many variables...waiting to buy the right boat WILL take forever and valuable boating time will be lost.

BandB wifey has it right...till you can HONESTLY nail down how much you will use a boat...everything else doesn't matter...and even then getting a lesser boat is usually the better idea as few ever use the boat or can afford the boat that they "think" they want. The only time a boat gets used more than expected in my experience is by retired people or liveaboards.

Nothern Spy also had it right...all the way up through college....kids and floor sleeping go hand in hand. But the separate spaces when things get ugly....are valuable.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #34
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Thoughts:

1. Disagree with idea of getting the "Second" boat first. Sounds like you're a young family with busy schedules. You may think you know what your second boat will be, but chances are you'll be wrong (ancient Chinese saying: "You cannot tell a tadpole what it's like to be a frog"). Think swapping boats is expensive? Try buying a boat that's too big and too complex and too expensive. The most expensive boat is one that doesn't get used.

2. Figure out what style of boat works for you. Sleeping accommodation is less important - kids will sleep anywhere. The tri-cabin layout in the video is nice, but not much outdoor space. Somone else mentioned Mainship - 38-foot sedan would allow the kids to jump off the back, on/off dinghy more easily, etc. Downside is less interior space - just depends on whether you want to be inside or outside. With kids, you'll want room for water toys.

3. Speed vs Economy. Sounds like you're both active in your careers. Probably means weekends, maybe long weekends. 7-kts is economical, less than half the cost of 15-kts. Look at this way: for a weekend, you'll probably not go further than 3, maybe 4 hours away, especially with kids. Draw a 25-nm circle around where your boat will be (7-kts for 3-4 hours), then draw a 50-60 nm circle (15-kts for 3-4 hours). You can do the same math with a week, etc.

Good luck! Most important thing is to just get out and do it. You're creating lifelong memories for your kids - they won't remember the boat, but they will remember boating.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Good morning! No no, we can take the honesty. You’re absolutely right, they do not need their own cabins. My main purpose/concern was not having all three kids in a bow vberth for a week or two. I feel like no one would get any sleep. I’m coming to the realization that the baby will be with us for a bit, or in a pack and play crib in the salon, and the the oldest will most likely move to sleep on the couch. We won’t be living on this, so this should work just fine.

As much as I would love to be able to jump on a 4788 or Hatteras 58, we’re not in the position to make that sort of “investment”, if you can even use that term in regards to a boat. We’re looking in the ~40’ range with an aft cabin. Something that is able to handle Lake Ontario when it gets a bit rough and efficient enough cruise to the thousand islands (~150-200 miles) on a tank. I’d like to be in the $50-60k, which I understand limits us to older boats.

As much as I like the idea of getting our last boat first, it simply isn’t an option at the moment. One day we will keep a boat in NY for the summer and then head south for the winter but that’s likely 25 years (fingers crossed) away still. At this point something that is a part time cruiser/ lake house will have to fit the bill.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2020, 05:07 AM   #36
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Well Browny, I don't often say this however... with your limited planned usage of a vessel I do believe you would be FAR better off chartering, even considering the not insignificant costs involved.

As my boat sits here, with me living aboard her, SOMETHING is always breaking. Always. I have a modicum of knowledge as to what the problems are, and how to go about fixing them. Most recent was a new alternator and rectifier, a $400 (I bought a spare for the parts inventory) expense.

If you are not aboard things will still go wrong. They will require repairs. Little things can become expensive. Even stupid stuff -- like on Christmas I was at a neighbor's boat. I smelled electrical and was able to sniff out the problem. One of his cell phone chargers was overheating. Had he been ashore, that could have been Very Serious.

At this stage in your life with kidlets, if you want to have that week long vacation aboard a vessel, rent one. By the time yours are a bit older you will have experienced many different boat layouts. You'll know what you like, and more importantly, those things that are AWFUL for you.

I love galley up. My neighbor with the Hatt50 loves galley down. We each have the boat of our dreams.

In your rental/chartering times, do look into the engine room. If you cannot easily reach the impeller to swap it out, that routine maintenance most likely will not have been done regularly. Can you get to the batteries to check them? Thru hulls accessible? If you're going to have to fix it, make sure it's easy to do so.

Anyway, as much as I LOVED growing up aboard a boat (born and raised aboard a 40'er) this was our home. For you, if I understood it correctly, you want a boat to use but not live aboard. Unless you can pay for someone to take care of the routine issues, you're simply buying another project. I suspect you have plenty of those on your plate at present.

P.S. - Good luck with the newest. I'm going to be Grand again in a couple months. Yeah for babies!!!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #37

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Buy your FIRST boat FIRST!

Remember your first car? Your first boat will get some dings and scratches and there really isn't way to learn what it is like cruising until you are cruising.

That means getting a boat that is easy to get and easy to use - berthed close by so you can get to it without a ton of planning etc. Then get to it as much as you can

You already have a boat so you know the basics. If you don't enjoy changing the oil etc things cost more. If you like waxing, changing oil and filters etc then it is cheaper. The main thing is to get something you like but don't go crazy thinking it has to be the last boat you ever buy. Even if you don't care about the money the stress of having to find THE right boat can take some fun out of the process.

If you DO care about the money the beauty of an older boat is that it has already had most of its depreciation. And you get the fun of experiencing dealing with all the little things that will go wrong. If that doesn't sound fun then spend more money. But remember that until you go through all of it you won't know what you really want.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #38

City: GRAND ISLAND
Vessel Name: Tortue de Mer
Vessel Model: 36’ Grand Banks CL #615
Well I’ve been reading this forum for a few months now and this string caught my attention. I am from Tobermory Ontario which is up on Georgian Bay/Lake Huron but have been living on Grand Island NY through out my career for the last 40 years. I have a fair bit of experience on the Great Lakes and have a Grand Banks 36 CL. I would consider it a true Trawler and you are more than welcome to come aboard and take a look.
Hoppys GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks again for the feed back.

Andiamo - you more or less have written what our thoughts are. Get something that will get us on the water quicker and more often, and doesn’t break the bank. I’ll do all the maintenance on whatever we get. I don’t mind doing it and it allows me to learn. Doesn’t hurt that is keeps costs down too.

Hoppys- howdy neighbor. Thanks very much for the offer. Once the weather breaks I would love the opportunity to see the layout and pick your brain a bit. Which marina do you keep your GB at? We do 90% of our boating in the river launching out of Big Six.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #40

City: Hershey,Pa
I joined the forum about six months ago, and originally planned on buying a trawler for cruising. Like you I have found the forum members to be very willing to share useful information. I agree with the advice you've received regarding the choice of a boat to accommodate your growing family and the need to consider the kids activities as they get older. I'm a 74 year old with a lot of grand kids entering their teenage years, so I began to look at diesel cruisers that would allow me the range to travel longer distances at lower speeds when alone, but would also let me get up to 22 - 25 knots for the kids to enjoy skiing and boarding. I finally purchased a 1996 Silverton 402 MY that has ample room to accommodate family without crowding. From what you describe as your plans for weekend and vacation cruising in the Great Lakes and the desire for the kids to have room I would recommend that you take a look at the Silverton 453. It has a 15 foot beam and 3 staterooms plus a large salon. Additionally, unlike most boats this size, it also has a separate engine room so you don't need to lift up a batch to gain access. Plus it has large fuel tanks and diesel engines. The swim platform also can accommodate a RIB dingy with davit. Equipment the RIB with a good outboard and you will have the best of both worlds. Just something to think about.
LateStarter is offline   Reply With Quote