Trawler training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Experience is important but knowing HOW to teach us more important."

More worrying is the old reality,

If you can't do, Teach.

Get recommendations before dumping a boat buck for what might just be a joy ride.

I remember when I was about seven I would assist my Dad in docking. It was my job to stand on the forward side of the boat as my dad approached and jump off and secure the bow. Having done this many times I was a pro at the age of seven so I was balancing and not holding on as dad approached the dock. About four feet from the dock he decided he was coming in too fast and hit reverse hard. I ended up in the water holding on to the dock line. He had me swim to the stern so he could hoist me in but when he bent over his cigars fell out of his shirt pocket. He made me get each cigar before he pulled me in.

I thought my mother was going to kill him. LOL

:rofl::rofl: that was an awesome!:rofl::rofl:

Good ideas, I did a bit of that, but will do more.

Don't be in a big hurry and keep looking.
Just like that "perfect boat", you'll eventually find the "perfect trainer."

He/she/they may not be "professional instructors" by some standards, but you'll know them when you meet them. Personable. Confident not cocky, experienced yet humble. Give me an instructor that spends a lot of time talking about themselves, and I'll probably be looking for someone else shortly.

When we do intros at my courses, mine is about 30 seconds. On occasion I've been known to say simply, I'm Gordon, been an instructor for 30 years, here to help you get better at what you do and stay alive...period. We can (and usually do) chat a bit more over lunch or between strings if safety allows. Some of the leads at other places I teach get a little put off by it, but all that other crap is pretty much fluff. Show me what you've got. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

As far as knowing "your" boat, I wouldn't worry so much about that as I would knowing the systems in general. Every boat, like every car, motorcycle, aircraft, etc. will handle differently even if it's the same make/model. I've proven this through many years as a motorcycle and tactical driving instructor. And even when I was learning to fly it bore true. Same Cessna 150, different tail numbers...and there would always be "something" different. The basics are there, but there will always be little idiosyncrasies that set it apart from another.

Just my buck fifty on the matter. HTH

OD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom