Trawler speed on a Tolly or Uniflite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run my Tolly 45 at both hull and planing speeds, depending on. I have the 3208TAs.
At 1050-1100 rpm it runs at about 8 knots. It steers and handles very effectively at idle speeds, about 4.5-5 knots.
When you need the speed it will get up on a plane at about 1700, and run at 14-15 knots at 1900- 2000rpm. That is far short of WOT.
This summer I ran a lot at hull speed, and the fuel economy is startling. I do bring it up to turbo speeds for at least the last half hour of a run.
It seems to me to be the best of both worlds.

I run my Tolly 45 at both hull and planing speeds, depending on. I have the 3208TAs.
At 1050-1100 rpm it runs at about 8 knots. It steers and handles very effectively at idle speeds, about 4.5-5 knots.
When you need the speed it will get up on a plane at about 1700, and run at 14-15 knots at 1900- 2000rpm. That is far short of WOT.
This summer I ran a lot at hull speed, and the fuel economy is startling. I do bring it up to turbo speeds for at least the last half hour of a run.
It seems to me to be the best of both worlds.

Tollycrafts' are the best of one world... Called, Happy Tolly Life! :dance:

https://www.tollyclub.com/the-tollycraft-song

31 Uniflite sedan with single diesel I have fine ride and handling and I usually cruise at 7.5, sometimes as slow as 6 kt.

Nate,
Do you know Al in Ketchikan?
He had a great boat named Tenacious.
Was kinda like a GB.
And yes he’s a member here.

One further comment. Tollycraft hulls changed through the years. The 43' and 48' designs from the last 70's to early 80's really were semi-displacement (semi-planning) designs with soft chines and deep keels. When fuel prices went down again Tollycraft changed again with the 40/45 double chine design. These returned planned fairly easily and are lighter than the older models. Appearance wise these newer ones look less 'trawler' like than the older 40/43/48 but are good boats and quite roomy due to the extra beam.

Uniflite Mk11 run very slow

Hi, i have a Uniflite Mk11 with a Detroit 671 450hp, but its run very slow. At full throtle it run at 9 knots. The foam around it is wet and maybe that makes it heavy and that's why it's so slow. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Not all Uniflites are planing hulls. we have a 37 coastal cruiser , which is quite comfortable at 8 knots. Twin lehmans, 3 gph. It was designed for fuel economy in the early 80's.

Hi, i have a Uniflite Mk11 with a Detroit 671 450hp, but its run very slow. At full throtle it run at 9 knots. The foam around it is wet and maybe that makes it heavy and that's why it's so slow. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

Please post photos of your Uni!! Thanks, Art

We had 1973 Uni 31' with really good condition twin 350 cid, 225 hp Chris Craft gas engines. Top speed was high 20's. Planing comfortably was mid to high teens. 6.5 to 7 knots was economy speed. Each was calced with average load aboard and clean bottom, rudders, props.

Great boat... we loved it! Cruising on plane...I called it my go-cart on the water!

Attachments

• UNI - Copy of 101_0042.jpg
    UNI - Copy of 101_0042.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom