Trawler size advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have chartered probably fifteen times and we have our desired boat size down to a very narrow range. Dozens of meals prepared in a galley gives you a pretty clear idea of what you can accommodate to and what you must have. Spending a week or ten days on the boat affects your tolerance of cramped or commodious heads. A pilothouse chair costs a certain amount of length. Contortions in the engine room translate into economic choices.

With the "Yacht Controller", with bow and stern thrusters, a single screw 59 footer becomes less challenging than a lesser equipped 40 footer. Like many others here, I don't see handling as a decision point. The moorage and maintenance and initial capital outlay are significant issues, but a comfortable and livable boat will get used and lived on more than one offering a rustic experience.

We will save a little more, buy a larger but older, easy to handle boat, and do this with experience of many trips on many boats of different sizes and configurations

People look at charter prices and panic too, but that's just preparation for ownership. Chartering a few times a year doesn't cost any more than owning, perhaps less.

I think about 40 feet boat is close to the border, which is meaningful to take care of themselves. washing, waxing, antifouling paint and etc.

I would like a bigger boat, when I do this work themselves. if you have the money to pay for these services, then a larger boat can be a realistic option.

I like the fact that the boat is clean and looks good, it requires constant work and will limit myself in this size range, I would also free time to enjoy the rest, take care of the boat.

I charter on average 15 days a year at 1000 dollars a day. The boat, if I bought it, would cost about 800,000. It would cost about 50,000 a year to own it, considering moorage, insurance, upkeep, upgrades, etc. In addition, the opportunity cost of the 800,000 (given a 6% market return) would be about 48,000 a year. Things like fuel and marinas during the trip would be the same either way. Chartering makes sense to me unless I would use the boat 8 or more weeks a year.

I will eventually buy a boat for extended cruising, but the knowledge of what I want, obtained from trailing many different boats, will also result in significant savings down the road.

I charter on average 15 days a year at 1000 dollars a day. The boat, if I bought it, would cost about 800,000. It would cost about 50,000 a year to own it, considering moorage, insurance, upkeep, upgrades, etc. In addition, the opportunity cost of the 800,000 (given a 6% market return) would be about 48,000 a year. Things like fuel and marinas during the trip would be the same either way. Chartering makes sense to me unless I would use the boat 8 or more weeks a year.

I will eventually buy a boat for extended cruising, but the knowledge of what I want, obtained from trailing many different boats, will also result in significant savings down the road.

We chartered extensively in 2013 and early 2014 while waiting for a build.

From that history and more calculations, I came to the conclusion the break even was somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, and in some cases longer, depending on boat, age of boat purchased, etc. There is the intangible of owning your own, being able to use without planning, keeping your things on it, but just looking at dollars and cents, many people own who would save money chartering. On the other hand, chartering opens you up to a variety of boats in a variety of places.

How well a boat design uses the internal space can be as important as its length. My 36 wastes space on the galley, an IG 32 makes better use of interior space.
Apply the big TV purchase rule: for the first few days after you buy it you worry it`s too big, after that you worry it`s not big enough. (Could apply to lots of things.:nonono:)

How well a boat design uses the internal space can be as important as its length. My 36 wastes space on the galley, an IG 32 makes better use of interior space.
Apply the big TV purchase rule: for the first few days after you buy it you worry it`s too big, after that you worry it`s not big enough. (Could apply to lots of things.:nonono:)

How well a boat design uses the internal space relative to your needs.

I have an acquaintance boat shopping right now and the boat he is looking at over the weekend has an incredible galley. He never cooks aboard.

How well a boat design uses the internal space relative to your needs.

I have an acquaintance boat shopping right now and the boat he is looking at over the weekend has an incredible galley. He never cooks aboard.

Boats are such irrational things, it seems to me that we all warp reality a bit while trying to figure them out. From a galley that will never be used to any number of features designed and executed to make life interesting on the water, boats are often the subjects of amazing mind games.
Ask the average boat owner why his boat is special and it begins. Slack bilges for a kindly motion, beam for space, a stand up engine room, a brand "X" engine, this galley, etc, etc...

The fact is that boats are so expensive and so demanding of our time and resources that we simply rationalize what we have or want. I'm pretty sure that most of us would learn to love different features if we found ourselves in different circumstances. I'm sure we'd survive without our flybridge and Wifey B would not starve without her beloved microwave...well, maybe that's a stretch but you get the idea!
Bruce

I had my boat out 2 days ago. I'm getting good! Confident too! Oh and I wouldn't give up my galley for anything. I use it, it's huge and love to cook in it.

"Well, inner harbor floats in Camden ME, our CCA mooring in BI, inside harbor at Cuttyhunk, etc, etc. these are our regular hangouts and life would certainly be more challenging with a boat more than 40' long.
Even in Northeast Harbor there are more moorings available for 40' and smaller boats than larger...
Maybe it is a New England thing but this is home and it is what it is..."

I am not sure which areas you might be cruising in the NE nor what areas the OP may want to visit but we have had zero issues with 52' in our experiences within our typical range.
We are generally central Long Island NY on the north shore and cruise between Block Island and NY on both sides of the sound. We also spend a lot of time between NY city and Albany on the Hudson as well as the Ct river. Since about 1989 we have had hull lengths above 45' and overall lengths above 50' and visit so many ports each season in these areas with an occasional trip down as far as Atlantic city. We see no problems with getting a good anchorage, mooring balls or slips within these cruising areas. There are some areas where both draft and air space may come into play as some of the other boats we cruise with above 50' have higher air drafts and have been limited.

"Well, inner harbor floats in Camden ME, our CCA mooring in BI, inside harbor at Cuttyhunk, etc, etc. these are our regular hangouts and life would certainly be more challenging with a boat more than 40' long.
Even in Northeast Harbor there are more moorings available for 40' and smaller boats than larger...
Maybe it is a New England thing but this is home and it is what it is..."

I am not sure which areas you might be cruising in the NE nor what areas the OP may want to visit but we have had zero issues with 52' in our experiences within our typical range.
We are generally central Long Island NY on the north shore and cruise between Block Island and NY on both sides of the sound. We also spend a lot of time between NY city and Albany on the Hudson as well as the Ct river. Since about 1989 we have had hull lengths above 45' and overall lengths above 50' and visit so many ports each season in these areas with an occasional trip down as far as Atlantic city. We see no problems with getting a good anchorage, mooring balls or slips within these cruising areas. There are some areas where both draft and air space may come into play as some of the other boats we cruise with above 50' have higher air drafts and have been limited.

Well, next time you are in Camden Maine you will not be on an inner harbor float. That is something we enjoy. I'm sure you can find space in the inner harbor, there are lots of really large boats all over the place.
We draw the line at 40' for ourselves. It fits well with the ways we have cruised and with our intended use of the new boat.

There are lots of places we frequent where your 50' would be too large. As I said in another post people adapt to what they have and it all works.

Bruce

My wife and I are looking at buying a trawler, probably in 5-6 years after the kids go to college, and plan on doing the East Coast ICW +/- the great loop. I have been around boats my entire life (mainly Chesapeake Bay and both coasts of Florida), but have not owned or operated a 40-55 ft boat of any kind. Aside from initial cost, maintenance, and marina expenses, are there significant differences for a novice couple to operate and cruise on a mid 50ft trawler vs mid 40ft trawler? (Ease of operation, docking, marina availability, moorings, etc?) The larger trawlers seem to offer a more appealing layout for us to live on year round. For the sake of argument, let's say both are single engine, full displacement with bow and stern thrusters, and similar draft.
Thanks in advance.

Did you get your answer? ;)

"Well, next time you are in Camden Maine you will not be on an inner harbor float. That is something we enjoy."

We do not know anything about that area at all. My guess was that the OP would not be venturing too far outside the typical 'loop' routes and wanted to pass along the data we have on the major LI sound areas which tend to be popular for visitors.
It is a shame we did not get up as far as Camden areas but for us it would be quite out of the way even though I am sure it has much to offer.

It can be said that the only real drawback to trawler size is maintenance. And that includes moorage, insurance and all the like.

It can be said that the only real drawback to trawler size is maintenance. And that includes moorage, insurance and all the like.

As I do all of my own maintenance including waxing, there is definitely a limit to size!
For the record, I have nothing against larger boats and in fact there are times I envy them...
Bruce

Boats are such irrational things, it seems to me that we all warp reality a bit while trying to figure them out. From a galley that will never be used to any number of features designed and executed to make life interesting on the water, boats are often the subjects of amazing mind games.
Ask the average boat owner why his boat is special and it begins. Slack bilges for a kindly motion, beam for space, a stand up engine room, a brand "X" engine, this galley, etc, etc...

The fact is that boats are so expensive and so demanding of our time and resources that we simply rationalize what we have or want. I'm pretty sure that most of us would learn to love different features if we found ourselves in different circumstances. I'm sure we'd survive without our flybridge and Wifey B would not starve without her beloved microwave...well, maybe that's a stretch but you get the idea!
Bruce

OMG, OMG, OMG - Without fly bridge! Tell me it taint true. I gotta wake up, gotta wake up, gotta wake up.

I can't take it! This must be a bad-dream-post placed above!!

:rofl: :popcorn: :D

I don't know anything about The Loop and the waters in that part of the country (although I hear they are shallow, crowded, and full of low bridges). Good idea to check where you want to cruise. Here in Washington state there are over 40 marine parks, most with mooring buoys that are relatively inexpensive ($60 gives you a year long pass to use them at no charge). The limit on the park buoys is 45'.

Thank you to all who responded. A lot of good advice on here and much to think about. Yes, we are planning on going to trawlerfest. Maybe after that, I will look for a boat to charter that is similar to what we like. There are so many things to consider and I sure don't want to make a very expensive mistake. Also, I do not want to limit myself on the ability to get a mooring, or slip, particularly when we get up to Maine. I do worry about draft and would like to hear from the forum about what they think would be a maximum draft on the East Coast ICW that they would be comfortable with and not too restrictive on where you can go.

Thank you to all who responded. A lot of good advice on here and much to think about. Yes, we are planning on going to trawlerfest. Maybe after that, I will look for a boat to charter that is similar to what we like. There are so many things to consider and I sure don't want to make a very expensive mistake. Also, I do not want to limit myself on the ability to get a mooring, or slip, particularly when we get up to Maine. I do worry about draft and would like to hear from the forum about what they think would be a maximum draft on the East Coast ICW that they would be comfortable with and not too restrictive on where you can go.

Camden - Ya just gotta go to Camden! Rockport is delightful small town next door and Rockland is just down a piece. Nice harbors.

I have taken 6' draft sailboats up and down the ICW and east coast. It can be done but you better pay attention and even then...maybe have a dose of luck. Our boat draws just shy of 4 feet depending on loading. We have never had an issue but monitor areas prone to shoaling carefully (which you should do anyway). There are places you only want to transit on a rising tide just in case... Anyway, 4' is comfortable and gives you a lot of options. If you do ground you can at least stand up!

One of the reasons I am not sure I would do the Great Loop (at least at first) is missing places like Camden, Rockport, Southwest Harbor (and other places near Acadia) and possibly Nova Scotia.

Regarding size, I find the idea of a larger boat more attractive when it comes to big water and bad weather. I know that the Cheasapeake Bay can get ugly as can Delaware Bay, LI sound, Pamlico Sound, etc. I would avoid bad weather/wind when possible, but how do you avoid wind in places like Maine? I have to assume that there are times when you have to suck it up and go regardless of less than ideal conditions, not to mention those times when you get caught in a storm or bad tide/wind combination. However, I would never leave port under any condition that was borderline unsafe for my particular vessel.

As has been mentioned, don't look at length but look at features.
Heaven only knows that I have had my share of boats from 30' to 54'. What my wife and I have learned from all the boats we've had is stated in the quote above. Features! We like 2 cabins (one with side x side beds ), 2 heads, a really nice salon, drive from an enclosed fly bridge, cockpit, twin diesels, semi displacement hull, cruise at 15+ knots, no exterior teak, side door to the cockpit, fishable, full walk around, great electronics, satellite TV, no down helm & a small but well designed galley! (Whew!) It took us 3.5 years to find the model that had all that & when we found it, we pulled the trigger immediately! Size? It all fit in a 42' Ocean Alexander 42 Sedan.

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 186
I had my boat out 2 days ago. I'm getting good! Confident too! Oh and I wouldn't give up my galley for anything. I use it, it's huge and love to cook in it.

Great to see you gaining confidence and getting out on your boat.

I have taken 6' draft sailboats up and down the ICW and east coast. It can be done but you better pay attention and even then...maybe have a dose of luck. Our boat draws just shy of 4 feet depending on loading. We have never had an issue but monitor areas prone to shoaling carefully (which you should do anyway). There are places you only want to transit on a rising tide just in case... Anyway, 4' is comfortable and gives you a lot of options. If you do ground you can at least stand up!

We cruised up the ICW from south Florida to Virginia last summer. Our trawler draws 6'4". It was tough especially in Florida and Georgia. You have to work with the tides. Absolutely no way we could have made it through at low tide in many areas. Many moving shoals at every cut to the Atlantic, no matter how small. When we head south we will probably do most of it off shore. We have always enjoyed running the ICW, always interesting.

The best advice that I ever got on this forum (and I have gotten a lot of good advice from these folks) is when I asked for recommendations on buying a boat. That advice was "buy your second boat first" and "buy the smallest boat that will do everything you need". I did just that and have been completely satisfied.

4 1/2 foot draft is enough for me. East Coast of Florida.

The best advice that I ever got on this forum (and I have gotten a lot of good advice from these folks) is when I asked for recommendations on buying a boat. That advice was "buy your second boat first" and "buy the smallest boat that will do everything you need". I did just that and have been completely satisfied.

Sounds like very good advice.

Back
Top Bottom