Trawler Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reinisch

Hello!

I am not new to boating but certainly to the "Trawler World". I have spent the last year researching mainly online as where I live not many interesting vessels can be found.

The plan is to use the boat in Thailand and Malaysia for cruising and live-abroad about six months a year.

My requirements are long range, comfortable accommodation for two, genset, AC and bow thruster. Open to both single and twin screws. Decent storage for scuba/fishing gear and dinghy.

Both length 30-44 feet

I am happy to consider both a little bit older (but fresh) boat as well as a newer one. Budget is USD 150-250k (inclusive of any repairs/upgrades needed for an older boat)

I would love to hear some pros and cons for the following boats:

DeFever 44

Mainship 43

Menorquin 120

Mainship 390

Mainship Pilot 34

Nordic 32

Seapiper 35

Great Harbour TT35

All comments and recommendations are more than welcome!

Thank you
Fred

Last edited:
Having a Mainship 430 aft cabin, I'd argue the 430 Sedan would be better for your situation, but a bit over your budget.

Would think a cockpit would be an advantage.

Youve cast a pretty wide net. Fishing and diving will restrict your choices to sedans or aft cabin + cockpit. Unclear whether you're looking for a US boat that you will ship to Asia, or purchase there.

Good luck and welcome to TF. Lots of dreamers on this site who love nothing more than prowling Yachtworld to assist

Peter

My requirements are long range, comfortable accommodation for two, genset, AC and bow thruster. Open to both single and twin screws. Decent storage for scuba/fishing gear and dinghy.

If you find otherwise acceptable candidates that have no thrusters, you can usually add those via aftermarket installation.

Genset, sometimes ditto. AC, maybe, although adding the ducting could be tricky.

-Chris

My Albin 40 was used as a home base for diving instruction for over 10 years in the Bahamas. Aft cabin and 2 steps to swim platform. Had an onboard compressor rigged.

Fishing is like off any commercial, party fishing boat.

Don't see this style as unlovable, but certainly not best for either.

My thoughts in bold to your wish list:

DeFever 44 Good choice, probably the best in your price range. But will be an older boat

Mainship 43 Good too, but as noted above, probably too expensive.

Menorquin 120 Don't know much about it.

Mainship 390 Older boat. The 40 or 43 would be much better.

Mainship Pilot 34 Too small for full time live aboard.

Nordic 32 Also too small.

Seapiper 35 Too narrow at 8-1/2' for live aboard comfort.

Great Harbour TT35 Good choice now that glitches have been worked out, but too expensive

David

I believe that most of those boats (except for the DeFever) are not common in Thailand and Malaysia. The majority of the active users on this forum are in North America and while these boats are commonly discussed on this forum but I would focus on boats that are on the market in your area.

Last edited:
Thailand and Malaysia maybe consider a wood boat. would certainly fit in your budget and you can choose what you like.

in your target cruising area there are many and relatively inexpensive resources for wood boat repair etc.

For your. I’d get you could build new - a heavy wood trawler in India. Send me a PM is you’d like to explore

I am looking for a fuel, efficient, 15 mph, trawler. The TT 35 seems to make sense. What is the downside of this boat? Is there any other boats like this that you would recommend with outboard engines? Or that have a shallow draft? Thanks.

I lived full time in a 45ft Newport Trawler, wood 1970s boat. A little small but doable. I have a Mainship 350/390 and would not recommend it to anyone as a liveaboard. Love the boat for few week excursions but not full time. Had a 70ft Halmatic which was just too big to maintain for husband/wife crew. At this time I would feel good with a 50footer, not recommending but like a Defever of GB. I am happy with single screw but depending on what your cruising requirements are, a twin might be better. Too many variables to get that specific.

I am looking for a fuel, efficient, 15 mph, trawler. The TT 35 seems to make sense. What is the downside of this boat? Is there any other boats like this that you would recommend with outboard engines? Or that have a shallow draft? Thanks.
A bit smaller, but check out Rosborough 265

Peter Screenshot_20230925_101434_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom