Trawler pre-purchase advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanuckCouple

Hi all,

New to the forum, and hoping for some advice from experienced mariners.

Wife and I currently have a 29’ cruiser which we use on the St. Lawrence here in Ontario Canada.

As we get closer to retirement are considering a swap to a diesel trawler in the 36 - 45 ft range and were thinking of cruising down the eastern seaboard of Canada/USA and on to Cuba, Bahamas, Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean.

As it will be just the two of us, the determining factor will be open water safety.

Some modifications would probably be necessary to make long range cruising possible.

Would prefer solar charging to maintain batteries and propane appliances.

Any advice or past experience with this type of cruising would be much appreciated

DnJ

Welcome aboard. When we start looking for a new boat we make a list of must haves and must not haves. Our list isn’t usually very long. We must have a boat with loose furniture due to bad backs, we go with recliners. We must have steps and no vertical ladders due to our love of big dogs, our current dog, Radar, id a black Lab that is 85 pounds but he is 40 pounds smaller than our last Lab. We must have outdoor areas that are shaded due to my skin cancer issues. We like the traditional lines on our boats so it must not have the lines of a clorox bottle. When we find a boat that meets our basic needs then we look at the condition of the individual boat. We usually like quite a few things to do on our boats because I love working on my boats but am getting older and physically less able to do some of the things I wouldn’t have given a thought about doing in the past. Anyway good luck with your search.

Comodave

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions.

We also travel with our 2 dogs, a lab and a beagle both about 75lbs

And yes at 55 we understand the physical limitations that seem to be creeping up on us.

Appreciate the reply

DnJ

Welcome aboard. When we start looking for a new boat we make a list of must haves and must not haves. Our list isn’t usually very long. We must have a boat with loose furniture due to bad backs, we go with recliners. We must have steps and no vertical ladders due to our love of big dogs, our current dog, Radar, id a black Lab that is 85 pounds but he is 40 pounds smaller than our last Lab. We must have outdoor areas that are shaded due to my skin cancer issues. We like the traditional lines on our boats so it must not have the lines of a clorox bottle. When we find a boat that meets our basic needs then we look at the condition of the individual boat. We usually like quite a few things to do on our boats because I love working on my boats but am getting older and physically less able to do some of the things I wouldn’t have given a thought about doing in the past. Anyway good luck with your search.

I have investigated a boat in your area that I am not prepared to act on at this time. I cannot say it would meet with your approval, but the work appears to be quite good and thorough. The price is right and would be prefect for a cruising couple. PM me and I will pass it along, although it is more than likely you have already seen it. I have information that would be helpful to you if you investigate. If you intend to explore as much as you indicate, this boat might be ideal. Bill

That is a big beagle. At 55 I was still pretty invincible, but not so much at 67. When you buy a boat if it has builtin furniture sit in it for more than a few minutes and see if it will be comfortable for hours to watch a movie or read a book. Have fun looking.

We were about your age when we began thinking about our retirement boat. Like you our boat at the time was a gas express cruiser. As others did we made a list of must haves and must not haves.
We wanted a trawler style, no exposed teak, no ladders, single diesel, bow thruster, separate shower in the head, needed a cockpit for easy line handling, a side door from the lower station for the same reason, good headroom throughout, teak and holly floors inside, full size fridge, easy access direct from the stern, generator.
Once we had the list we started hitting boat shows, both new and used to get on as many boats as possible.

Comodave

Thanks.

We had built-in in our cruiser and removed them in favour of more comfortable options.

The only thing we miss is the storage beneath the built-ins but as in everything depends on which compromise is more appealing.

We have been reading here and a few other forums and have gotten a lot of great formation and ideas

Our Beagle was a rescue used to push out puppies, she is about 12 now and hasn’t missed to many meals since joining our family.

DnJ

That is a big beagle. At 55 I was still pretty invincible, but not so much at 67. When you buy a boat if it has builtin furniture sit in it for more than a few minutes and see if it will be comfortable for hours to watch a movie or read a book. Have fun looking.

Last edited:
moparharn

Thank you for the link.

There are actually 2 43’ PCF for sale in the area

I had contacted the seller and tried discussing weld certifications and other necessities but ran into a brick wall.

Thanks against n.

I have investigated a boat in your area that I am not prepared to act on at this time. I cannot say it would meet with your approval, but the work appears to be quite good and thorough. The price is right and would be prefect for a cruising couple. PM me and I will pass it along, although it is more than likely you have already seen it. I have information that would be helpful to you if you investigate. If you intend to explore as much as you indicate, this boat might be ideal. Bill

Hi all,

New to the forum, and hoping for some advice from experienced mariners.

Wife and I currently have a 29’ cruiser which we use on the St. Lawrence here in Ontario Canada.

As we get closer to retirement are considering a swap to a diesel trawler in the 36 - 45 ft range and were thinking of cruising down the eastern seaboard of Canada/USA and on to Cuba, Bahamas, Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean.

As it will be just the two of us, the determining factor will be open water safety.

Some modifications would probably be necessary to make long range cruising possible.

Would prefer solar charging to maintain batteries and propane appliances.

Any advice or past experience with this type of cruising would be much appreciated.

We also travel with our 2 dogs, a lab and a beagle both about 75lbs

DnJ

Hi DnJ:

My hubby and I were so thrilled to find a liveaboard cruiser with outboards*, we overlooked the need for walkaround side decks for our two dogs, darn it. One of our beloved dogs does not like our boat for that reason; she's always been a bow hound and she can't trot up to the bow on the boat you see in our avatar.

Solar with propane appliances will work well until you get to The Carolinas/Georgia/Florida in the summertime. Then you really need a genset so that you can run your a/c at anchor. Or in the alternative, stay north in the summer.

*We are Floridians, and accustomed to much shoaling and skinny water so we prefer to keep our draft under 2 feet - we also think outboards are easier to maintain.

As far as open water safety, I imagine your experience on the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario has given you a good idea of the type of keel boat you want. Grand Banks, Kady-Krogen, Nordic tugs, Monk, ... Personally, I'm a big admirer of American Tug for keel boats. You have many, many options for open water safe boats with big keels.

Richard on Dauntless (revered TF member) has crossed oceans in his Kady-Krogen.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
Mix Trom

Thank you for the suggestions.

Twin diesels with extra large fuel capacity is what we are figuring for long range cruising.

Most boats up here don’t have a generator or A/C, unlike FL where you are fortunate to be able to boat 12 months a year our boat sits indoors from October- May. Although today it is 105, a little on the warm side.

Our search has taken us to SE USA and the Eastern seaboard. One problem is that the borders are closed due to COVID so travelling is out of the question.

And a walkway is an absolute must have not for just for the dogs.

DnJ

Hi DnJ:

My hubby and I were so thrilled to find a liveaboard cruiser with outboards*, we overlooked the need for walkaround side decks for our two dogs, darn it. One of our beloved dogs does not like our boat for that reason; she's always been a bow hound and she can't trot up to the bow on the boat you see in our avatar.

Solar with propane appliances will work well until you get to The Carolinas/Georgia/Florida in the summertime. Then you really need a genset so that you can run your a/c at anchor. Or in the alternative, stay north in the summer.

*We are Floridians, and accustomed to much shoaling and skinny water so we prefer to keep our draft under 2 feet - we also think outboards are easier to maintain.

As far as open water safety, I imagine your experience on the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario has given you a good idea of the type of keel boat you want. Grand Banks, Kady-Krogen, Nordic tugs, Monk, ... Personally, I'm a big admirer of American Tug for keel boats. You have many, many options for open water safe boats with big keels.

Richard on Dauntless (revered TF member) has crossed oceans in his Kady-Krogen.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Back
Top Bottom