A trawler owner (in a few days)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks again all.

Hawgwash, I only strayed from two issues that I thought were important (but decided they weren't). One was that I didn't want a fly bridge. I will have one. Second was that I wanted side decks, I won't. On both counts, I am perfectly happy at this point.

Maybe some pics once we get the boat. Hopefully this weekend if all goes perfectly smoothly (what are the odds?).

8.777 to one

dhays; said:
I am perfectly happy at this point.
Now all you have to do is learn a whole new language, change up your profile and rework your fee schedule.
:whistling:

Now all you have to do is learn a whole new language, change up your profile and rework your fee schedule.
:whistling:
...and get used to your sailing buddies asking you "wow, so how much fuel do you burn?"

At least it will give you all a chance to revel in my ignorance. :)

Congratulations.
I'll be glad to share my ignorance with you.

...and get used to your sailing buddies asking you "wow, so how much fuel do you burn?"
Ask them how much the new genoa/main/kite cost. Sails are not cheap.

Ask them how much the new genoa/main/kite cost. Sails are not cheap.

That is just cruel Bruce. I bought a new assymetric a few years ago. I don't ever want to calculate the cost per use on that beautiful sail.:nonono:

That is just cruel Bruce. I bought a new assymetric a few years ago. I don't ever want to calculate the cost per use on that beautiful sail.:nonono:
Yes, but it will stop them niggling about the cost of fuel, which with many "trawlers" is not such a big thing.
Congratulations on your purchase. The good thing about an open mind is you can adjust your "must haves" for other pluses a particular boat presents. May you enjoy happy cruising and good times onboard.

Mental pictures can manifest results. Pleassseee rethink avatar! :eek:

Congrats-David!

And to followup on ktdtx-we have a lot of ignorance to share!

I had a very good friend through work who built "experimental" planes.

He used to laugh when I told him I got 0.7 miles to a gallon and compared it to what he got in his little plane.

My response always was "there are more planes in the water than there are boats in the sky."

He was in a plane being flown by another guy in his club when they went down over St Augustine and killed instantly about 6 years ago.

Broke my heart.

Hi Dave

If there one thing I know is that I don't know near enough about boats and boating. I figure that even the saltiest, most experienced boaters/marine-doers in the world only know (at max) 75% of what there currently is to know. Me... I fall in the lower 1/2 level of knowledge needs (and that's being optimistic - lol).

Boating/marine-doings are a constantly evolving learning experience. Luckily in forums such as TF... we're all capable of some how learning more, together.

Happy "New" Boat Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I had a very good friend through work who built "experimental" planes.

He used to laugh when I told him I got 0.7 miles to a gallon and compared it to what he got in his little plane.

My response always was "there are more planes in the water than there are boats in the sky."

He was in a plane being flown by another guy in his club when they went down over St Augustine and killed instantly about 6 years ago.

Broke my heart.

My dad flew Spitfires in WWII as a "Photo Freddie" for RCAF. Later in life he flew a Cardinal as a marine photographer... took pictures of big luxury boats at sea as well as launches of Navy boats in Bath ME. I've been in hairy small plane experiences.

ME - I don't fly in small planes (helicopters especially). Don't hang glide. Don't bungee jump. Don't parachute. Don't walk in front of high speed traffic trying to get someplace faster. In each of those instances I know people who either died or were grievously injured.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's plane death.

That said... IMO - Keep on Boating... Dangers of marine-life are manageable and greatly off set by pleasures received! :whistling:

Last edited:
I see the new avatar! Where did the previous owners find the non-regulated grid to get some bottom work done?

I see the new avatar! Where did the previous owners find the non-regulated grid to get some bottom work done?

There are a couple of nice facilities just outside Port Ludlow. They are well marked. You can't miss them. The only downside is that curious boaters come around to see what kind of work you are doing.

Attachments

• dreamweaver_aground2.jpg
    dreamweaver_aground2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 132
There are a couple of nice facilities just outside Port Ludlow. They are well marked. You can't miss them. The only downside is that curious boaters come around to see what kind of work you are doing.
Is that the boat you are buying?

Let's see. Sails versus fuel:

Catalina 36. 13 years, 4 sails (main, jib, genoa, assymetric) = $8000
Nordic Tug 42 7 months, 440 gal diesel = $875

The sails are in great shape, at least 5 years of life left
The diesel will be gone by end of May :)

Not sure how that math works out. I just tell them that I'm warm and dry.

Bottom line: money doesn't mean as much as time on the water, no matter how you do it!

Brittania, yes it is.

I was hoping that it all would be done by Friday, but time and space are conspiring against me. Being as how I and my wife are still working, we can't drop everything to sign documents. We will get the documents signed this afternoon, but it will be too late to get them to FedEx before their last pickup (much earlier on the West Coast than the East Coast) so the Lender won't get them in time to send the money to the seller. Maybe it will be mine on Saturday.

Port Ludlow, Birch Bay-:ermm: Two boats that almost look like twins in the inquiry/response..
Coincidental? :DJust asking.:socool:
A

Wifey B: Is it a few days yet? :ermm: Is it time? :whistling: Surely it must be? I know you're ready for the boat. :rofl: You want it NOW! Omg I'd be so freaking anxious and excited waiting. ;)

I'm excited for you. I know you'll have like tons and beaucouts and sh..loads and gobs and everything fun.

but it will be too late to get them to FedEx before their last pickup (much earlier on the West Coast than the East Coast) .

Yes, they work on Eastern time. Actually a lot centers around Memphis, which is on Central time. If they waited, things would never make the planes. They also have much earlier pickup for rural areas where it has to then be driven to the big city. In MS, we had a cutoff of 2 pm. As if that wasn't bad enough, they then decided they wanted to pick up earlier at the same time they delivered. Not good when often you're signing and sending something back. We drew the line there. It wasn't FEDEX wanting to but their contractor.

Congratulations! Welcome to the dark side!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Congratulations! Welcome to the dark side!

Thanks Jim. At the same time that my boat purchase was decided, I found out a fellow Catalina 400 owner and long time participant on the Catalina400/445 forum announced that he had sold his sailboat and bought a 1996 KK 48. I encouraged him to come try out TF but he is already posting on the KK owners site.

Wifey B: Is it a few days yet? :ermm: Is it time? :whistling: Surely it must be? I know you're ready for the boat. :rofl: You want it NOW! Omg I'd be so freaking anxious and excited waiting. ;)

I'm excited for you. I know you'll have like tons and beaucouts and sh..loads and gobs and everything fun.

You are so right Wifey B!

I just got home from signing and notarizing the documents. Need to get them to FedEx in the morning and send some folks large amounts of cash via wire transfer and bank draft tomorrow. If I am lucky, at this point I may be able to take possession on Sunday.

Congratulations Dave. We have some friends with an NP39 . Really nice boat. Looking forward to seeing you out on the Sound.

Long time poster

Thanks Jim. At the same time that my boat purchase was decided, I found out a fellow Catalina 400 owner and long time participant on the Catalina400/445 forum announced that he had sold his sailboat and bought a 1996 KK 48. I encouraged him to come try out TF but he is already posting on the KK owners site.

Dave,

I think you are talking about one of my neighbors, Tim.

Gordon

Dave,

I think you are talking about one of my neighbors, Tim.

Gordon

If his sailboat was named "Magic" and his KK is named "Acadia", Yup. Great guy. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

I remember seeing that 1996 KK48 on YW. It is a nice looking vessel.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Gordon, try to get Tim to join here. Who knows, maybe he is lurking. He is not a lurker type though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom