Trawler needing Teak/Holly flooring....advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn James Brett

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
2004 Grand Alaskan 65
Hey all, looking at a trawler that has carpeting down in the main salon and althoguh it feels good, I want T/H to match the rest of the boat.
So my question, what price should I expect to pay for roughly a 12'X15 section?
I have seen the fake teak, not really my thing but may change my mind once I see the $$$ real stuff. I am in the PNW area.
Appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice here.

A sheet of 3/4” 48”x96” teak and holly plywood goes for about $265. 1/2” sheet is about $225. Are you going to DIY or have it done?

I would prefer to do it myself since I have wood working skills....question, where is the best place to buy this?
Thanks.

I just googled teak and holly plywood. The place I got the price was World Panel but I think they are on the east coast so shipping might get expensive.

I just googled teak and holly plywood. The place I got the price was World Panel but I think they are on the east coast so shipping might get expensive.

shipping 1 stick of ply from east coast would probably be more than the wood. Got to be a ply supplier locally on the west coast.

Hey all, looking at a trawler that has carpeting down in the main salon and althoguh it feels good, I want T/H to match the rest of the boat.

Have you pulled up the carpet to see what is underneath? I found hardwood (parquee) underneath my carpet and its in pristine condition. Will be pulling the carpet this spring.

For marine woods, give a look at Edensaws in Port Townsend (just across the Sound from you). Largest local selection of marine woods, including plywood:

Edensaw Woods - Quality Marine Plywood & Lumber Yard Supply

The usual "teak and holly) plywood overlay has about 1/16 of an inch of pretty surface , and is difficult to repair or refinish .

And does not offer the no skid ability of a traditional T&H where the holly strips stand proud .

Capn James,

I usually install 1/4" (Teak and Holly plywood) over an existing floor as that sole has already proven to be plenty strong enough. This thickness is easier to work with and sometimes gives the flexibility of twisting the sheet a little to allow installation with fewer seams.

Sorry Fred but I would disageree about 1/16" being too thin. I usually strip and refinish 2 of these per season and have yet to sand through the face veneer. I do however mention to the owners that it is a possibility. The goal is to remove finish not wood.

My experience is that the sole will last 15-20 years before refinishing if reasonable care is taken. Refinishing will extend the life the same amount of time provided care is taken. The life of a solid floor (the wood not the finish) will generally be the same as the life of the boat.

The best way to extend time between refinishing is to keep the floor clean. A rug outside and inside the the door will catch most of the dirt that does the damage. Clean under the rug. Re coat the traffic areas before it obviously needs it. In other words as soon as it looks different from the rest of the floor. The most common mistake I see is people wanting a recoat after the finish has worn off leaving gray areas where dirt has been worked into the wood. Too late then. These techniques will work for floors at home as well.

Rob

The real question is, what trawler have you found?!?!?

I use to order large quantities of wood from Edansaw when I was building. They are very accommodating and will surface, I'd order from them in a heartbeat have them 3 side surface and you finish with a planer the forth prior to install, make sure to acclimate the wood to the boat prior to install.

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
I would prefer to do it myself since I have wood working skills....question, where is the best place to buy this?
Thanks.

If you are a woodworker, purchase the teak and holly from Edsensaw, Crosscut Hardwood or my favorite - Architectural Wood in Tacoma.

I've priced lumber and plywood from all three and AW is usually lower. They purchased Tacoma Plywood, so they stock several types of marine plywood including teak and holly in various thicknesses.

Be sure to be sitting when you hear the price per board feet for teak lumber. Teak is very very expensive.

I buy the wood unsurfaced and machine it to size. A lot less expensive.

Advantage to buying dimensional lumber is being able to see color, grain etc before buying.

It's more difficult seeing the color and grain of unsurfaced lumber.

Last edited:
I went through this a few weeks ago looking for some 1/4 Teak plywood with teak on each side. Edsensaw wanted to sell a min of 4 pices. I only needed a 1/2 sheet.

I found a local company that had what I needed in stock, and when I arrived I told them what I was working on and the size I needed, he came back with a 1/2 sheet for me, said they just bought out a lumber store down the road and ended up with a lot of "Boat Stuff"

www.midwayplywood.com

Midway Plywood
14004 Highway 99
Lynnwood, WA 98037

Mine was for a few door panels, I then had a local guy laser etch the Egg harbor logo into it and I will varnish over it all.

Keep us posted on how it goes if it goes, I would like to do something like this in our boat as well.

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom