Trawler or MotorYacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A trawler is a motor yacht. However, a motor yacht is not necessarily a trawler. ~: )
???

i dont now annymore

we have a trader 54 with 2 cat 425hp we fully feuled we have a range of 2000nm vruising is at 10n top is app 26n we have a good stability deu the keel over the length of the boat, we stay almost permenant on it and are very glad for us a type name is not so important but was is it now a yacht, a cruiser or a trawler

Wath do you think

Best regards,
Patrick

Trawler vs. MotorYacht vs. Trailer

I live on a MotorYacht, not a floating singlewide!:whistling:

a single wide is somthing different to me more a dutch floating home who are for anker all the time and only move by tug

My Definition of a Trawler:

A motor boat with a keel, ballast and a full displacement hull is my opinion of what makes a trawler (in my opinion). Trawlers are limited to Hull Speed due to their full displacement hull. A trawler pushes through the water. Since they are limited to their Hull-Speed they typically have very low horse power diesel engine(s). They can have one or two engines. Because of their low HP engine(s) they sip fuel and because of their Full Displacement hull they can carry more fuel which, allows a trawler to travel very long distances, typically 2000 miles or more. A couple examples of trawlers would be Nordhavn and Kadey Krogen.

There are trawler like boats that have a keel but do not have ballast because they have a semi-displacement hull which, is designed to travel at speeds above Hull-Speed by riding (more) on top of the water instead of pushing through the water. My boat would fall in to the later category. Examples of trawler like boats would be Grand Banks and Fleming.

I'd like to reiterate that the above description of what a trawler is, is my opinion. **MY OPINION ONLY**

DD trawlers mostly don’t have ballast.

Patrick,
Nice try but assuming it’s the boat in your avatar .... no.
Probably not as heavy as a trawler and probably has no significant keel. Dosn’t look like a trawler. Trawlers don’t have sundecks and even your FB isn’t like a trawler .. far too raked back.

There’s nothing except perhaps the diesel power that smells like a trawler. But now-days most big cruisers (like yours) have diesel power.

No Patrick you’ve got a big cruiser .. looks like a nice one too.

or boat is the one in the avatar
thanks for your remarks, its difficult for the name, its a heavy boat (26ton poly) but even a block of stone and a big motor will move. most important is we love the space we have a the long running at 10nm at low fuel consumtion the name of the type is not so importend but nice to now,

Best regards,
Patrick

still love this forum, have found a lot of interisting advice and other things +

Last edited:
Dirtdoc1,
Very few trawlers are FD, not many have ballast and few (due to being FD) are limited to hull speed. Any boat “pushes through the water” going slow. Trawlers don’t sip fuel .... sailboats do though ... and a few FD trawlers.

Dirtdoc1,
Very few trawlers are FD, not many have ballast and few (due to being FD) are limited to hull speed. Any boat “pushes through the water” going slow. Trawlers don’t sip fuel .... sailboats do though ... and a few FD trawlers.

Per my definition of a trawler I disagree with you. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Cheers!

No and lastly most all trawlers are limited to hull speed because of their excessive weight (that is the measure of a trawler) and drag due to wave making resistance and parasitic drag from hull surface area and the keel .. that planing boats lack.

But most significantly weight and hull design together are the most significantly defining elements of what makes a trawler a trawler.

And of course you get equal space here so let the most credible statement prevail.

Hmmmmm. And to think,.....all this time,i thought that my 1969,42ft Grand Banks (weighing in at 38,000lbs+-)was a Trawler.
Mast,diesel motors,slow,ect,and,Robert Newton started out making fishing boats,and then converted to making"Trawlers"for the general public.
IMHO, i feel that GB is the true definition of the word.

I'm coming back to my earlier definition of trawler. It's a type of motoryacht with full displacement hull, raised pilothouse with forward sloping windows, mast & boom, no fly bridge. It's no tragedy or cause for hurt feelings if your boat doesn't meet that definition. It's simply a cabin cruiser. Now, that ain't so bad, is it?

I just can't see so any boats lacking these requirements called trawlers, esp. with back sloping windows in a "lower helm" that's not a pilothouse. Yeah, back sloping front windows make you look like a boat built for speed. That's ok, but it's not a trawler. Trawlers are not about speed, as so many here have said. You want speed, you don't want a trawler, at least a trawler as defined above. I apologize for sounding so "dictatorial." I'm really a nice guy, but I do get hung up on word definitions now & then. :hide:

“Trawlers”

Since most of us do not troll for fish, shrimp, etc., let’s agree that our use of “trawler” means trawler-like pleasure boats. As one writer said decades ago, a trawler should have a whiff of workboat about it. So, work boat design similarity should be a factor. And if “form follows function” is a design factor, sea-keeping influences should be considered, especially a hull that stands up to a variety of winds and seas with safety and some degree of comfort while remaining on station or on mission. Long legs appropriate for extended transits or exploring remote areas well beyond comfy marinas surely is a must. Reliability beyond most other boat designs and their on board systems should be a factor. Diesels surely fit. If you are planning to transit NW logging territory, the Dismal Swamp Canal or the Alligator-Pungo Canal, etc., a full keel with a skeg protected shaft, prop and rudder mean a lot. Fly bridge? Look at the tuna boats.

Efficiency at trolling speeds surely is a design feature. But many real trollers have get home urgency to bring in a fresh catch, or to wisely avoid dangerous weather.

Accommodations? Yachty is OK, but so is practical, once again form fitting function as true fishing trawlers are. Being able to sleep and feed captain and crew on extended voyages between marinas and resupply matter.

We can all think of boats that meet all of these criteria, some purposely fewer, and others with little in common with these criteria. So, interpret, disagree, apply in good conscience, and share your thoughts. It would be nice to have more consensus on what constitutes a recreational trawler, and accept that some really great cruisers aren’t trawlers, and some long legged Passagemakers aren’t trawlers. Let’s accept that the shoe should fit relatively painlessly, and that we have wonderful dock mates whose lovely boats are something other than trawlers.

Hmmmmm. And to think,.....all this time,i thought that my 1969,42ft Grand Banks (weighing in at 38,000lbs+-)was a Trawler.
Mast,diesel motors,slow,ect,and,Robert Newton started out making fishing boats,and then converted to making"Trawlers"for the general public.
IMHO, i feel that GB is the true definition of the word.

Don't worry...most all the credible and seriously involved boaters I have had the pleasure to speak with (for many years), both on a recreational and professional level.... call a Grand Banks a trawler. Yeah, they get the silly discussions...but go with what has been around for quite awhile.

Take most comments for what they are...just an opinion or a quote from a marketing ad.

The definition thing is a joke.... if you saw the latest words added to dictionaries every year...so I wouldnt use a dictionary as gospel as many time as I couldn't find other nautical terms in them either.

I agree with NUTIN FANCY and psneeld (I think). When someone says " I have a trawler," my mind immediately goes to a GB36/42 classic. Forget about fishing boat provenance. For 50+ years, these have defined the gold standard for me, even though they make no claim to be a trawler.

Where I got sideways is thinking trawler meant some level of passagemaking capabilities. The GBs are, in my opinion, great coastal cruisers capable of traveling from Maine to Alaska, so I thought TF would have plenty of folks doing just that. My mistake.

Peter

I agree w NUTIN FANCY TOO ... too. He get’s it.

All others don’t to some degree.
I can’t believe how many think trawlers are FD. In reality only about 5% are.
And there are a few that are really planing hulls that I think of as trawlers. Camano and now the descendants are Helmsman .. I think I see 2 or 3 across from me at the marina. One is blue. A beautiful color and the skipper is very active and apparently knowledgeable.
And there are surely a few others.

So a trawler can be a planing boat (can’t believe I said that) so I guess it states it’s whatever’s in one mind. To some extent ....
Does anyone else think of them as trawlers?

Let me understand something here. When I bought my trawler, I wanted a trawler. IF I would have know that a 42 GB is a trawler I would have considered them. But back in the day up to 36 GB was a trawler and then they introduced the motor yacht 42 which is a stretched out 36. From there they went crazy with 2 footitis. :socool: :whistling:

If you exclusively use it for work... it's a "work boat"

If you exclusively use it for enjoyment... it's a "pleasure boat"

If you use it for both purposes it's a "weasure boat"

For whatever reason you have it it's "your boat"!

I was told if you want to talk with your buddies, it's a boat. If you want to impress the ladies, it's a Yacht. That's all I needed to know!

thanks all for the discussion of what a trawler is,
the definition is what confusing if i see what boats are on this forum, but the one thing they have all in commen is they are all boats possible of longer or permanent stay.

Wath ours consern i will call it a long distance crusing yacht and hope it fits all it property
: we can go long distances, have room to live aboard and can impress the lady's :)

and its not a trawler in the original diffinition
as long we are welcome on this great forum we are happy

Best regards
Patrick

ps sorry for the bad englisch,

Very welcome indeed.

You’ll see many boats here that are cruisers and their owners have made many posts and most are probably members.
I’ve not heard of oostende ..... where are you from? You may be in an unusual place for a TF member like Iran or ??? What country are you from?
Could be you’ll have very interesting posts.

Re your boat you could call it a Heavy Cruiser. She looks heavy and a capable cruiser as well.

Oostende appears to be a city of Belgium. Glad to have you aboard.

Spent a lot of time in Breges. Rotterdam harbor is one of the most amazing places. Is your boat there?

we are in zeebrugge - belgium 51° 20′ NB, 3° 12′ OL
its not so far of Rotterdam have direct access to the Noordzee were we can go to londen or brigton in the uk, duinkerke in France, a lot of costal harbour incl. Rotterdam in the Nederlands, to go inland is difficult due fix bridges at 7m high passage there are also some interesting rivers nearby where we can go, so a lot of trips possible

Best regards, Patrick

Welcome Patrick - Boat on!!

Back
Top Bottom