Trawler / Explorer Manufacturers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WorldTraveler

It's time to travel the world...by way of water.

I currently own a sportfishing boat and as much as I hate to admit it, I have lived in a sportfishing bubble -- I'm not too familiar with trawler/explorer-type boats. I met one couple last year who travels extensively on their Nordhavn and they couldn't say enough good things about the boat and the company. Obviously they have a stellar reputation.

I spoke with a few sportfish owners who have long-range boats and they all swear by the Dutch. However, they do own Feadship, Hakvoort, etc. -- all of which are in a whole other category. I forget where I've heard the name Van Der Valk, but those look interesting. But, there is very little information on them.

As respected as Nordhavn's are, there is something about steel that sings to me. I've heard of the brand, Bering, but nothing in depth other than the fact that they're made in Turkey and China. A boat made in China (I know, Nordhavn is) is not preferred (For personal reasons) but who knows.

Do you have any recommendations for quality trawler/explorer shipyards? Any experience with Van Der Valk compared to say, a Nordhavn? Any hands-on experience with Bering? Thank you in advance for all of your help - it's greatly appreciated.

You sound like a Diesel Duck kind of guy. I feel the same way about steel hulls.
Fortunately there quite a few passage making steel trawlers for sale at any given
time on Yachtworld and other sites.

You sound like a Diesel Duck kind of guy. I feel the same way about steel hulls.
Fortunately there quite a few passage making steel trawlers for sale at any given
time on Yachtworld and other sites.

Thanks for the reply, KnotYet! I just took a peek at their site and unfortunately, they're a tad too small. I currently have a 62' sportfish so I am looking for something larger where I can travel great distances. There is a yacht called Dorothea III which is a 45M Cheoy Lee and is the "Mothership" to a 63' (I think) Hatteras Sportfish. I'm looking for the same setup, except not in a 45M package. I have two captains currently so I would need three berths for them alone (One has a family). I would be the fourth and I would like a minimum of two guest berths.

I know what my wants and needs are; I just don't know much about the various builders and their quality. I'm seeking a bombproof design. If there is one thing I've learned in boating, it's caring more about the structure than the "small" things that go wrong: broken appliances, pump failures due to zip ties on a new delivery, etc. All of this can be fixed; the hull / design cannot.

Thanks again!

I currently own a sportfishing boat and as much as I hate to admit it, I have lived in a sportfishing bubble -- I'm not too familiar with trawler/explorer-type boats. I met one couple last year who travels extensively on their Nordhavn and they couldn't say enough good things about the boat and the company. Obviously they have a stellar reputation.

I spoke with a few sportfish owners who have long-range boats and they all swear by the Dutch. However, they do own Feadship, Hakvoort, etc. -- all of which are in a whole other category. I forget where I've heard the name Van Der Valk, but those look interesting. But, there is very little information on them.

As respected as Nordhavn's are, there is something about steel that sings to me. I've heard of the brand, Bering, but nothing in depth other than the fact that they're made in Turkey and China. A boat made in China (I know, Nordhavn is) is not preferred (For personal reasons) but who knows.

Do you have any recommendations for quality trawler/explorer shipyards? Any experience with Van Der Valk compared to say, a Nordhavn? Any hands-on experience with Bering? Thank you in advance for all of your help - it's greatly appreciated.

I suspect you would immensely enjoy Yachtforums.com

Bering yachts moved their operations in 2017 completely from China to the maritime free trade zone in Antalya, Turkey. Their yachts are around for more than 12 years and have cruised more than 100,000nm around the globe in all sea states. They have now 8 vessels in build for owners between 70 and 145'. In 2021 4 of them will be delivered. There is a recent video tour summarising the activity at their shipyard.

Steel is good. Steel boats have been made all the way down to around 25 feet. The old Chris Craft Roamers and WWll era "steel craft". But fiberglass has certainly taken over the market.

You may end up paying a premium in maintenance and insurance on a steel boat. Not to mention the high cost of the purchase.

If there was a reasonable priced steel boat in my size range and which fit my needs I would probably consider it.

pete

Been to the Bering yard in Antalya - they know their business and are quite innovative. A few 65's come up on the resale market but as of yet they are the older designs. Dutch yard turn out some good steel hulls also, costly but good quality. Saw one in Palm Springs a few weeks back, 60 foot odd. Nice design but a bit out of place amongst all the Down East types. Good luck.

Any Bering owners here? How would you rate the ventilation below deck in 30C climate?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom