"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And all without you know who's narrow, egotistical mindset on the subject....

The sun may just shine another billion years despite mankind and TF threads.

Psneed

I've only been following here for a few years so I don't know who you are referring to but I haven't run into anyone who fits your description, probably best anyway.

Well...some would use that same description of me for many topics....just probably not this one as I try hard to stay out of the personality threads...I prefer the more techy ones.

Once a few get into a thread, I have learned to usually move on.as that reality thing has just exploded.

And of course, it all depends, very much, how you pronounce the word "pedant". Myself, I say "p`dant", opinions will differ, erroneously of course.:D

Nah, it just proves how pedantic we as a group really are. If we where not this particular thread would have died at post 4

The post above proves the word is reaching its own reality on TF. Heck... that's the second time today I've seen it used. Haven't thought of it nor seen that word in years! :popcorn:

The post above proves the word is reaching its own reality on TF. Heck... that's the second time today I've seen it used. Haven't thought of it nor seen that word in years! :popcorn:

I had to look it up...:cry::cry::cry:
Bruce

Well, it's not a very complimentary term to use about someone. LOL

So why argue with an owner that insists on calling his boat a trawler when your definition precludes it being called that? Just smile at him and let him enjoy his toy and call it anything he wants. Some of us may have very strict definitions of a trawler, others may be more flexible. If you take your pet out for a walk every morning and call it a cat but I know it to be a dog, in the words of Hillary "what difference does it make"?
One difference is that dog owners are usually required to pay for licensing their pooch in most cities. Not so with cats.

I beg to differ, under Obama you can change your gender or species just by declaring. LOL

One difference is that dog owners are usually required to pay for licensing their pooch in most cities. Not so with cats.

The places we've lived have required the same proof of rabies shot and licensing for cats that they do for dogs.

I read a comment this morning where someone almost apologized for their boat being not very trawler like.
Hmmm......

While we all obviously have something that comes to mind when the word trawler is uttered, I began to wonder what is considered acceptable outside the confines of this forum and some of its very opinionated participants.

I love poking around in Yachtworld and frequently search for boats by brand. Sometimes I search by keyword if I am looking for a broader spectrum of boats. This can generate a lot of results though, so typically, I add more restrictions to my searches so as to not be overwhelmed.

Anyway, I searched for "trawler" in 35' to 40' this morning and wow! There where something like 20 pages of results of very interesting looking "trawlers".
While it is a slightly overwhelming sample to look at in detail, a quick scan indicates that the rest of the world considers the term to include a wide range of designs... Yes, I understand that the rest of the world consists of manufacturers and their marketing departments, brokers and owners who are trying to cast a wide net but clearly, the definition is loosely defined as... a boat!

Lots of fun poking in that list this morning!
Enjoy your trawler!
Bruce

While my strict definition of trawler would include "displacement hull" as opposed to planing or semi displacement, I think trawler is really a state of mind or application. I have a planing hull but will be adopting a trawler lifestyle.

Nightsky,
Adopting whatever "lifestyle" won't change your boat at all. A boat is a boat whatever you do while you're aboard her.

You either have a trawler or not. Some trawlers are FD but the vast majority are SD. None are planing because they are not heavy ... heavy is not a feature of planing hulls. Some boats that their owners think of as having a "displacement hull" actually aren't. If you have a heavy cruiser she won't plane unless shes got a lot of power and more importantly a straight run aft. So the description of the trawler yacht is not really black or white. But if you can describe your boat as a heavy cruiser it's almost certianly a trawler.

As I understand it, not having a trawler is not a qualification to participate here.

Not everyone is trying to be called a trawler. The Diesel Ducks are creating their own marketing niche. They are terming their boats as "Trollers" rather than Trawlers. They suggest that they are more of a Performance Cruiser whereas a Trawler Yacht is a beast of burden. see concept

Not everyone is trying to be called a trawler. The Diesel Ducks are creating their own marketing niche. They are terming their boats as "Trollers" rather than Trawlers. They suggest that they are more of a Performance Cruiser whereas a Trawler Yacht is a beast of burden. see concept

Wifey B: I thought they were just ducks? :)

I'm happy to report that I know we do NOT have a trawler.

Not even a heavy cruiser.

:)

-Chris

Wifey B: I thought they were just ducks? :)

Yall can call your boat, their boat, or our boat anything yall like... jus don't call me late for dinner!! ;) LOL

"Floating Paradise" could be placed in Roget Thesaurus as synonym for any Pleasure Boat... including for what some persons (ad execs especially) term as Trawlers / Trollers... etc, etc :D

Last edited:
And who appointed Chapman's as the gospel on the subject? While it may be an informed opinion on the definition, it is just one opinion. The definitions of terms change over the years too based on acceptable usage. We could find a long list of words than no longer mean what they once did. There was a time where linguists were considered the ones to listen to, but not many of then are simply considered pedantic.

We live in a postmodern world, don't we???!!!!:hide:

Chapman's has always been the anchor of base knowledge for pleasure boats. It was in the 50's and is still. I find almost nothing to argue w in that book. However, I'm not up to date on electronics and perhaps some other stuff. I consider it almost the last word but all should think of Chapman's as the norm to accept before expanding one's knowledge and assuming knowledge a bit different. But Chapman's is updated on a frequent and regular basis so it's never out of date. I have four copies .. none of them very recent and can see the evolution clearly.

Chapman's has always been the anchor of base knowledge for pleasure boats. It was in the 50's and is still. I find almost nothing to argue w in that book. However, I'm not up to date on electronics and perhaps some other stuff. I consider it almost the last word but all should think of Chapman's as the norm to accept before expanding one's knowledge and assuming knowledge a bit different. But Chapman's is updated on a frequent and regular basis so it's never out of date. I have four copies .. none of them very recent and can see the evolution clearly.

Eric, do you know what postmodern means?

<<Postmodernism is "post" because it is denies the existence of any ultimate principles, and it lacks the optimism of there being a scientific, philosophical, or religious truth which will explain everything for everybody - a characterisitic of the so-called "modern" mind. The paradox of the postmodern position is that, in placing all principles under the scrutiny of its skepticism, it must realize that even its own principles are not beyond questioning. As the philospher Richard Tarnas states, postmodernism "cannot on its own principles ultimately justify itself any more than can the various metaphysical overviews against which the postmodern mind has defined itself.">>

IOW, the "truth" is dead. All previous explanations of our reality are thrown out the window. YOU determine your own truths...not some "outdated" book by some dude named Chapman.

PS...please realize lots of tongue in cheek here!!! I do not believe in postmodernity at all. But it is where our society is today. Where do you go for the truth??? Certainly not the news. They just make **** up for their own agenda. Not universities...the same hold for them. Even B&B has slammed Chapmans as "just an opinion"...hence my comment.

Last edited:
No. No "tongue in cheek".

You say "your own truths...not some "outdated" book by some dude named Chapman."
Well we know from that what you think. With a modern mind of course. I don't buy into you're thinking of if it originated before 1999 it can't be anything but BS. If that's the way "your" modern mind functions I hope I never acquire same. What would be the point of reading the constitution or the bible?

That said what reference would you send a new boater to for an objective base of information to learn from?

You say "your own truths...not some "outdated" book by some dude named Chapman."
Well we know from that what you think. With a modern mind of course. I don't buy into you're thinking of if it originated before 1999 it can't be anything but BS. If that's the way "your" modern mind functions I hope I never acquire same. What would be the point of reading the constitution or the bible?

That said what reference would you send a new boater to for an objective base of information to learn from?

Wooow - Chapman as comparison to Bible and Constitution - Woooow!

Eric, I do believe you missed the context of it all or you have a reading comprehension issue. Look at what B&B posted. Look at what I posted. Look at what you posted. Then look at what I posted. I do not believe in "postmodernity". It was B&B who slammed Chapmans as "just one opinion". That is along the lines of postmodern thought as I defined above.

You with me here???? To bring it down to one sentence....I hold Chapmans in high regard.

My "outdated book" remark was tongue firmly planted in cheek....which I declared to help you understand that I was being sarcastic. THen you denied me that declaration????

Last edited:
It was B&B who slammed Chapmans as "just one opinion". That is along the lines of postmodern thought as I defined above.

You with me here???? To bring it down to one sentence....I hold Chapmans in high regard.

For the record I also hold it in high regard and did not consider myself to be slamming it by stating that ultimately it is just one opinion, one resource. Very scholarly people disagree often. However, the smart ones retain a sense of humor and don't take themselves too seriously when it comes to such a completely unimportant subject as defining "Trawler". Chapman's is about Piloting and Seamanship, not a pedantic approach to definitions of terms.

My wife has based on Eric's other post officially labeled our 40 knot Riva as a trawler. It is heavy.

As to postmodern what is most interesting is that it's not postmodern itself.

So do I keep my Duttons, Bowditch and Chapman's or toss them overboard? :)

Back
Top Bottom