Trawler Courses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruth1960

Good morning.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 3 to 4 day trawler course. We are thinking about buying and want to make sure we will enjoy the experience and are prepared before we do so.

Thank you

If you already have boat handling skills, then I suggest you try chartering for a week. oFten, you will get some hands-on before they let you go solo. Then try it for yourselves. Admittedly, you will have limited options for the type of vessel but probably enough to see if you like the 7Kt slow lane.

Hi Ruth - I responded to this same item on CruisersForum. Thought I would cut/paste here too for others.

See below - and good luck! Peter

1. Definitely suggest you consider Trawler Fest if you haven't already. They do not have a liveaboard training, but is a good indepth experience where you can customize your experience via different seminars.

2. Chartering. Most of the charter companies will assign a captain for you for as long as you want. After a day or two, chances are you will be comfortable enough to head off on your own without the captain. Prime trawler-charter grounds are in PNW - Anacortes WA. But there is also a few others around the country such as Southwest Florida charters, I believe out of Ft Myers on the Gulf coast (I know nothing of them, so not an endorsement).

3. Crewed Charter. Nordhavn lists several boats that are crewed charters, though there are others too. https://nordhavn.com/resources/charters/

4. Sea Sense. Operated by a pair of captains (both women), Sea Sense has been teaching people beginning boating skills for 20+ years. They know how to teach you what you need to know. So an option would be to charter a boat and hire one/both of their captains to fly to you. Or ask about their next charter/training course - either take berths on that, or ask about extending their charter for an extra few days for you to have private instruction. They really are the best in the business. Also, if you are the typical cruising couple where the man has the passion and the woman is a bit luke-warm, they do all-women courses that are simply superb at building confidence.

Charter with a captain from one of the charter companies specializing in trawlers either in the PNW or SW Florida.

I can second the Trawler Fest if you are new. They usually have quite a few classes on cruising and buying and maintaining boats. BTW, welcome aboard.

There used to be a womens course in Sarasota on a Grand Banks. They (about 8 students) practiced docking in the slip next to me in Marina Jacks. Been quite a while ago.

There used to be a womens course in Sarasota on a Grand Banks. They (about 8 students) practiced docking in the slip next to me in Marina Jacks. Been quite a while ago.
Most likely Sea Sense - the two captains I mentioned. They really are brilliant instructors. I used to teach all-women docking classes. By far, my favorite classes. But having a woman instructor with other women, well, that's a killer combination. Women are so supportive of one another.

I don't know the sea sense people well, but I am still 1000% comfortable recommending them as instructors. They really understand how people learn to run a boat. Men and women.

There is not really a ton of difference between sailing and trawerling. Lots of cross overs.

Do you know anyone with either a trawler, sailboat or cruiser? A couple days on the water should tell you if you like it or not. If you do like it, buy the boat of your choice and learn to captain it, either with or without help.

It's not brain surgery. If you are careful, sober and motivated, just about anyone can do it.

pete

careful, sober and motivated!! sound advice and sound encouragement!

I"m there 100%.

Welcome aboard from over here too.

I have to ask if you have ANY boating experience at this time?

If not then find and join your local Power Squadron. Canadian Power Squadron, CPS, has a website which whoul;d help with the local squadron and contacts.

They do basic boating training. They don't teach on boat handling BUT the instructor and proctors often know some of those people locally. It will also put you in touch with other like minded people which, from my wife's and my experience, was worth a lot.

And welcome aboard again.

Thank you everyone for the great suggestion. I have years of sailing experience but my husband has none so that is why the idea of a course. The suggestion of a crewed charter makes huge sense and is a great way for hands on learning. If anyone has one they recommend specifically. That would be great. We will also follow up with the other suggestions

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom