Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Boat Yard Charges

I have just recieved a bill for some electrical work on the boat down here in Sydney, we(me) are paying about $99.00 an hour labour.this includes taxes, in our case a 10% consumption tax.This charge seems to be standard for shiprights as well.

I just wondered what the going rate elsewhere is, $99 p/hr seems pretty steep to me. (or am I being a bit of an old grouch?)

The OZ $ is about the same as the US$ at present.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: Boat Yard Charges

Yards in NC (east coast USA) are in the range of $60-$70/hr. for labor. About $10-$12/ft. for hauling out, blocking, and powerwashing. Some are as much as an extra $50/day to bring in external contractors. Hope this helps.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #3

We are a marina in the Pacific North West (Puget Sound) and our ABYC electricians and mechanics are charged out at $92.00. We have stiff competition from several local competitors so posted prices are*considered*long and hard.There are local independents that charge less but they do not have medical plans nor retirement. They can work in our yard but do pay a surcharge.
Overhead cost's for a marina on the water in Washington state would amaze most people.
An average haul out for a 40' boat is $260.00 and another $110.00 to pressure wash the bottom. The water from that pressure wash goes through our own water treatment facility.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

Andrew,

Here at the most southern end of Oregon, there are no union workers to service your boat in the yard, so we have the 'luxury' of doing the work ourselves, or hire from local labor. *Yard out/in costs for your size boat would be the $300 minimum and local labor normally runs from 10$-$25 an hour. Best kept secret on the Oregon coast!

Of course, if we were dealing with certified, card carrying union labor the cost would be much, much higher! Thankfully, we're a small port and don't have to worry about those costs.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

The going rate for the diesel shop in our area (Bellingham, WA) is in the $80-$90 an hour range, and I expect the same is true of the marine electric shop, the boatyard, etc.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

City: South Puget Sound, WA

I pay $100 per hour for my boat mechanic (mercruiser, gas, outdrive) at my property. He operates an independant marine repair facility but I get personal house calls. He specializes in and is very knowledgeable about my brand of boat. He also encourages me to do all the maintenance and repair that I can and will give me free advice.

I consider this a great bargin and Budds' Outlet seems to appreciate it also.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I am paying too much! Our yard on the TN River bills at $85 an hour!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Andy,
Yard costs in Mooloolaba Qld are pretty much like Sydney but possibly a little cheaper.
Radio Techs about $90/hr, S/S work $80.00/hr but once you get out a bit prices go down.
In the small coastal towns , Shipwrights and Diesel mechanics are about $50 to $60 / hr .
So it depends on where you live .
We all pay a penalty if we live in the big smoke.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Just as a note....everyone can complain or boast about the labor rate they are paying.....but also be aware of how the entity in question quotes the job. You could have two entities that have the same labor rate....but one charges much more for the job.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Just as a note....everyone can complain or boast about the labor rate they are paying.....but also be aware of how the entity in question quotes the job. You could have two entities that have the same labor rate....but one charges much more for the job.
John

I was waiting to see if anyone would mention the relativity of hourly rates. Are they honest hourly charges, are they working at equal speed, with equal quality considerations? Forget everything except the bottom line. Do you feel you got an honest price for the product received? There are so many variables, that you need only go with your final determination of value. It's all relative!!!
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Just a thought- we have a business that specializes in repair services on forklifts. Our labor rate is $87 per hour for the repairs and travel time. Scheduled maintenance is usually quoted- and service calls are time and material.
Years ago when I worked for the dealership in parts/ service sales I began to realize the increased cost to the customer when our service tech was unprepared and uncommitted. At $87 per hour that works out to $1.45 per minute. The tech could go to the bathroom, dig through a coffee can for a 3/8 nut or tell a fishing story and cost the customer $10- $20 in labor minutes.
My point is- I suggest you find a mechanic you trust and then understand his billing method to get your best value on your boat repairs.
Travel costs can vary. If you can wait, let him know that the next time he is at your marina to take care of your repair to lower these costs. If you are able to determine FOR SURE the necessary parts needed, ask him to have these when he arrives. Think about the 3-4 minutes it takes him to to get your floor boards up. $10. Putting the floor boards back in. $10. Disposing of the old oil, fuel, etc., offer to handle this if you want to shorten his labor time.
Heck, if he doesn't mind you you could act as his "helper", running to his truck for tools and such .
One last thought, it has to be good for you and him. I think it's better to get a qoute on parts and then an estimate on the labor. That way he can take the extra time to do it well if he encounters stubborn bolts, etc.. If he/ she quoted they labor the will be under pressure to finish the job and not loose billable time.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

Just a thought- we have a business that specializes in repair services on forklifts. Our labor rate is $87 per hour for the repairs and travel time. Scheduled maintenance is usually quoted- and service calls are time and material.
Years ago when I worked for the dealership in parts/ service sales I began to realize the increased cost to the customer when our service tech was unprepared and uncommitted. At $87 per hour that works out to $1.45 per minute. The tech could go to the bathroom, dig through a coffee can for a 3/8 nut or tell a fishing story and cost the customer $10- $20 in labor minutes.
My point is- I suggest you find a mechanic you trust and then understand his billing method to get your best value on your boat repairs.
Travel costs can vary. If you can wait, let him know that the next time he is at your marina to take care of your repair to lower these costs. If you are able to determine FOR SURE the necessary parts needed, ask him to have these when he arrives. Think about the 3-4 minutes it takes him to to get your floor boards up. $10. Putting the floor boards back in. $10. Disposing of the old oil, fuel, etc., offer to handle this if you want to shorten his labor time.
Heck, if he doesn't mind you you could act as his "helper", running to his truck for tools and such .
One last thought, it has to be good for you and him. I think it's better to get a qoute on parts and then an estimate on the labor. That way he can take the extra time to do it well if he encounters stubborn bolts, etc.. If he/ she quoted they labor the will be under pressure to finish the job and not loose billable time.
One more point.* Sometime letting them supply the parts and making a few bucks is not so bad either.* As long as they don't try to gouge you on the parts.* But then again the guy that is going to do that is not the guy you want to have work on your boat anyway.*

My point is if you buy the parts and let us say you save a few bucks through some parts house, he should be able to buy the same parts at a greater discount and then he makes a few extra bucks on the job*as well.

Again if a filter costs you*$24.00 and list is $$27.00 you saved $3.00 but if he buys the same filter for $20 he then makes the $7 profit and doesn't have to feel he is not being profitable.* Also if you supply the parts and it is the wrong one it's your problem and you may just own a part you don't need*but if he supplies them it is his.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote