Old 02-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #1

City: Valparaiso
Trawler builder forum for Mariner?

Hi,
Wondering if anyone is aware of a forum, either here on TravelForum or elsewhere for the Mariner brand?

To clarify, I'm specifically referring to the Mariners built in China by Steve Smith and original sold under Island Yacht Sales.

My wife and I enjoy owning our (new to us) Mariner Orient 38 and would like to communicate with other owners. Thanks.
Salgado1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
You had me all excited. I own a Mariner built in Vancouver. There were a number built but I believe only a few remaining. I have been trying to get a history on the Mariners built in BC but not much luck so far.

I think the another Mariner brand was/is also built in Australia.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The Australian "Mariner" brand was created by Bill Barry Cotter in ?1970s. He progressed to building under the brand Riviera, and now Maritimo. Riviera continues under other ownership.
The Mariner Orient 38(and PT Cruiser)seem to bear similarity to later "Clipper" branded boats sold here. So do some North Pacific, which I understand are built in the same factory as "Clipper".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

City: Sarasota
Salgado1
I paid for a survey on a 38 Mariner Orient, yesterday. I was very disappointed to find that even with 440hp, the boat will only do 7.5 knots. I assume from this experience that the hull is full displacement.
Is this the max speed of your boat as well?

Also- the surveyor found wet wood on the deck near the bow and going aft down both sides. Have you had similar issues?

Thanks,

Dave
Djacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #5

City: Sarasota
Salgado1
I paid for a survey on a 38 Mariner Orient, yesterday. I was very disappointed to find that even with 440hp, the boat will only do 7.5 knots. I assume from this experience that the hull is full displacement.
Is this the max speed of your boat as well?

Also- the surveyor found wet wood on the deck near the bow and going aft down both sides. Have you had similar issues?

Thanks,

Dave
Djacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mariner, orient