Which Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmiii

Vessel Name
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Make
Mariner 40
After living aboard our 37' Island Packet Sailboat for some 6 years now, it seems that our cruising ideas and plans have changed.* We have not been able to 'take off' like we had planned due to family issues.*
Our cruising has been limited to running*from Bradenton to Marathon for the 2-3 winter months and then back.
I am thining for the type of cruising we are doing now and what we are likely to do in the future, a 38-44' trawler might suite us better.* Also it would be something comfortable to cruise Florida, the East coast ICW, over to the Bahamas and up the Tenn/Tom to Tennessee (our home).* Also to possibly do the Great Loop when conditions allow.
Question:* As I search for 38-44' trawlers, $80,000-$175,000, *1990-2005, in Florida,* I find several Mainship 390's and just a few others like 38' Marine Trader and a GrandBanks 42.
Should I go with a newer Mainship or look at 1980's model trawlers? A search of 1980-1989 trawlers shows 57 different options.
Another concern is resale value in 3-5 years.*
Thanks for you ideas.
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30

Unfortunately there is no right answer to your question. Every example of production boat made will be different than other examples of the same make and model. I see Grand Banks boats in outstanding condition and I see (a few in our marina) Grand Banks that are in deplorable condition.

As you know from having a boat now, there are two costs to boating. Buying the boat, and owning the boat. Ownership costs of a cruising boat like most of us on this forum have can be estimated (a rough guide) at ten percent of the purchase price per year as long as you own the boat. So whatever your boating budget is, it has to accommodate both costs.

Usually one comes across a boat that right off the bat seems to fit the person's requirements. The right configuration, the right power, and so on. At that point the buyer now has a "this make and model will work great for what we want to do" and then he can start the search for a specific example that is in the condition he's willing to accept and the price he's willing to pay. Whether that boat is a brand new Fleming, a 37 year old Grand Banks, a mid-80s boat, a newer Mainship--- only the buyer can make that determination.

Private message sent, please check your inbox Wmiii

Marin,
Thank you for your thoughts. I know the correct answer is: 'It Depends.'
At this point I am just thinking. And trying to get an idea of really what I want to do.
As I begin this journey, I'm sure I will discover many different routes to take and it will be a matter of finding which is best for us.
Thanks again,
Wm

I'm going to add another cost in Marin's formula....

I had picked a particular layout that I wanted...not necessarily a brand...so looking and deciding on a boat is going to have another layer I believe. I found boats to my liking either below what I was willing to pay or above....only one that fell into my initial purchase price range. Well what happens is you wind up knowing you'll sepnd a LOT of money on the boat if it falls around or below your price range unless you are lucky and have lots more cash than many. Even new boats take a lot of money to outfit and get the way you want them.

So to Marin's formula and in order...Buying, Refinishing/equipping, then year to year ownership...depending on what you settle on and ultimately demand out of your boat...step 2 can be costly and come fast and furious just to get the boat to where you'll start cruising her and then the "nice to have" improvements can come in the "owning" years.

Some people don't budget for long term issues... like the major expense of getting a new boat down the road (in case the current one just gets too worn out to keep up for ANY reason, replacement with insurance reimbursement because the 2 numbers rarely match, new engine/s, etc, etc....only you can decide after a couple years where that number should be monthly/annually...some may just factor this number into annual ownership...some may call it a 4th cost of ownership...but many never discuss it as if it were a dirty word.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 30th of October 2011 08:16:37 AM

Regardless of how carefully you budget your actual cost will probably far exceed your estimates especially if you buy an older boat.

In my case the cost to repair or replace two rudder logs, two rudder shafts, two broken thru hulls, 150 blisters, a GPS sensor, deck de-lamination, windlass replacement, and a raw water pump blew out my budget big time and I did most of the work. Most of these items were either not caught at survey or the repairs were under-estimated, and I don't blame the surveyor.

As has been said on this forum many times; buy the newest boat you can afford. It will probably be cheaper in the long run.

There are of course other considerations like type of hull and sea worthiness. Don't discount the planning hull, there is something to be said of being able to make Marathon in a day and a half from Bradenton, but certainly at a cost. On my boat I have that capability but don't cruise at 20 kts unless absolutely necessary. I cruise single engine a lot and that brings me within trawler range for fuel use, but I like the ability to go fast if necessary.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
I was fortunate to buy my 1995 37' Island Packet new over 14 years ago. Over the years I've added many, many improvements to her as you know not much came 'standard' in those days.
I have also been able to assist several people in buying and selling boats over the past few years and appreciate the value of a well taken care of older model boat. Even thought I have been primarily involved with sail, I have some experience with trawlers.
I'm sure as my journey evolves I'll be able to more clearly define my next 'perfect' boat.
Thanks
Wm

Back
Top Bottom