Old 01-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #21

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
You are looking at boats that have spent 40 years in salt water and exposed to the elements and probably cruised for thousands of hours. Boats nearing the end of their useful life.

Unless you would rather be working on a boat than cruising on one, I suggest you confine your search to boats less than 20 years old.
Well at 80 I'm worried I will lose too much if I need to sell in 2-3 years, my last sailboat depreciated way faster than I could fix her .... as monohulls fell out of favor to Catamarans in the used sailboat market............ all boat buying is a gamble I recognize that for sure

geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
all boat buying is a gamble I recognize that for sure
No, there is no gamble. Gamble is when you can win or lose. Buying a boat will cost you, plain and simple. You will lose money.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Well at 80 I'm worried I will lose too much if I need to sell in 2-3 years, my last sailboat depreciated way faster than I could fix her .... as monohulls fell out of favor to Catamarans in the used sailboat market............ all boat buying is a gamble I recognize that for sure

Mate at 80 stop dreaming and just do it .You cant see around corners
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That's what insurance is for. Buy the boat you can and live without worries today. You'll be happy tomorrow. Life is good.

Cheers!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #25
Guru

You seem to want turnkey, no maintenance, no depreciation, on a restrictive budget,and have some odd deal breaker ideas, like dirty bilges which many people would accept and clean after purchase, not having prop/rudder protection, and who knows what else.
I think it`s too big an ask. You might be better keeping your sailboating memories, and your money.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
I am also 80....er....actually 81, but I am looking at a Mainship 34 (stepping down from a old 44 foot ketch. It took me years to make it almost nice. Sold it for half what I bought it for but considered a loss of $2500 a year payment on the enjoyment I got from it) that has some problems, but fixable and currently usable. I expect to live to 191 years of age. But I have no illusions about making money on a boat. Never did and dont expect to in the future. I use the boat and pay for the use n depreciation.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #27
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
80+! Go for the boat you like to be aboard. Scrub it when the spirit moves you.

BTW, we 'sold' out of our '70 38' lovely sailboat by having to gift her to a museum for resale (she wasn't getting any prettier or maintaining her value on the hard). We bought an '84 38' TT with issues to discover in time. We're still discovering and there's still time...
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
The reason we scrubbed the sailboats was simply age, not the boats. My wife could no longer man the foredeck in a gale.....or on a calm day.....so from now to 191 it will be trawlers.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Get what you can afford both to purchase and to maintain. Do the very minimum required to get on the water. That's the objective. Doesn't matter if dirty or ugly, just will it take you somewhere. Don't postpone boating to work on cosmetics. There are alternatives. For the price range, there are boats that would be very enjoyable on lakes. Perhaps also staying on very protected waters. If what I could afford was a 20 year old, 19 ft Sea Ray Bowrider, then that's what I'd have and I'd be boating on it. There are many boats in my neighborhood that never leave the ICW. They're docked on canals and cruise the canals and rivers, primarily day trips. Sunday afternoon, they'll load up and go to a restaurant on the water for dinner.

Boating changes at every stage and age of life. What we're all forced to do is forget what we can't do, can't enjoy, and find that which we can. It might not fit our dreams. I don't know what it's like to be 80. I do know one thing though, it beats not getting old. For anyone 80 today, their life expectancy was 58 years if a male born in 1937. So celebrate 80. You didn't just win, you zoomed right past it.

And there also comes a time if we live long enough, boating just isn't practical. We can find a day cruise of some sort to satisfy the occasional longing. We can spend hours watching others and remembering all the good times we had. However, that's still all worth celebrating. I sure hope to live to 80.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #30
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Yes indeed-- there are around 12 or so 34-40 Mainship (are they built in Taiwan?) old boats for sale in Florida in varying stages of avalanche condition that seem like deals--looked at one and the entire overhead was falling down.
No, the Mainship brand started in New Jersey as a single boat model from Silverton. Later, Luhrs Group spun Mainship off into it's own company, and moved production to FL.

The early "trawlers" were 34' (original, then Mk II, then Mk III). Then Mainship went west or some such, producing non-"Trawlers" from later '80s through mid-'90s, returning to "trawlers" in approx '96 or so.

As with many builders, production quality usually improved over time... as they learned more about what worked, what didn't, what lasted, etc. Coring would be an example; decks cored with wood and then with penetrations improperly finished can leech water, core goes south.... whereas coring with Divinacell (sp?) isn't necessarily as unforgiving.

There is a whole class of "trawlers" built in Taiwan, various designers, brands, and yards; not connected to Mainship, and not all that similar.

-Chris
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #31

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
is this what you are looking for .it has some water damage and a Volvo . but when I looked at it a remember the engine being very clean . I got the feeling it could be bought for less.

1986 Ta Chiao CT-T35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #32

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
oops I found a video on my phone not too clean. sorry it was cleaner than the one before it .but anything would be cleaner than that one. but this one was on our list to thank about .

timb is offline   Reply With Quote