Traveling to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansrr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Wing
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Is a yellow flag required to be displayed when entering Canada prior to checking in with customs? Also, is there a Canadian tow boat operator equivalent to Sea Tow or Tow Boat US that serves Ontario and Quebec?

C-tow operates in BC, Ontario & Newfoundland, here is a coverage map of Ontario from the website.

Attachments

• C-tow.jpg
    C-tow.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 64
It is traditional to show a yellow quarantine flag when requesting pratique. I've never seen a single boat do it entering Canada. I did once and no one knew what it meant.

It is traditional to show a yellow quarantine flag when requesting pratique. I've never seen a single boat do it entering Canada. I did once and no one knew what it meant.

Same here.

Also true of displaying the red Bravo flag while refueling.

Yes, you should fly the Q flag until you clear in. Lots of people don’t do it. We do it for the same reasons that people say yes sir to police officers. Your call.

If you had seen our boat entering Canada you would have seen a Q flag flying. Do you get into trouble if you don’t, probably not but it is the correct thing to do.

I'm going there this summer and bought one. Don't forget the courtesy flag. Both are a small price for a good first impression.

Ted

We also displayed the quarantine flag, however when we went via Champlain there's no sense as by the time you get the flag up it's time to take it down.
The courtesy flag remained for our entire time in Canada.

Does anyone Not fly a courtesy flag? I guess I’m not so surprised by not flying a quarantine flag, but it all seems so simple to do, why not do what you are supposed to do?

I'm going there this summer and bought one. Don't forget the courtesy flag. Both are a small price for a good first impression.

Ted

Make sure you are flying an actual Canadian flag. Many of the flags on the market are shaped in the ratio of 2 x 3, such as 12" by 18", as is the US ensign.

The national flag of Canada is twice as long on the fly as the hoist, i.e. 12" x 24".

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 41
Make sure you are flying an actual Canadian flag. Many of the flags on the market are shaped in the ratio of 2 x 3, such as 12" by 18", as is the US ensign.

The national flag of Canada is twice as long on the fly as the hoist, i.e. 12" x 24".

Good to know, thanks. I’ll check ours.

Thanks for this, must check the US flag on board which we fly. One would hope proper ratio is followed when making them for sale.

Thanks for this, must check the US flag on board which we fly. One would hope proper ratio is followed when making them for sale.

A non-scientific set of observations over many years suggests most of the Canadian courtesy flags are incorrect...but I suppose it's the thought that matters.

My experience of eintering Canada from the US on US boats too many times to count. Both professionally and as a recreational boater. I have never flown or seen the Q flag flown. Some will fly the courtsey flag, I did and do.

Professionally I was required to make formal entrance to and clearance from Canada. Often requiring a face to face visit by the authorities and occasionally an inspection. The officials don't give a hoot about either flag. What the officials cared about was observance of all of the paperwork rules and regs. And that all personnel aboard were allowed entry. DUI convictions being a big one I had to watch out for. Proper visas for non US citizens another. What went the distance with them was being ready, polite and a thank you when cleared. That way it went easier for me next clearance until staff changes brought new faces.

Flying the courtsey flag was more about being a good neighbor. Showing the Canadian boaters and the public, if they cared to look, that I respect them and their nation.

What I observed causing problems for others was a flagrant disregard for procedures sometimes coupled with an air of entitlement.

My experience entering and leaving Mexico though much more limited is similar. Be ready, follow the rules, be polite.

Much respect shown in this thread, thank you, one and all.

Maybe if the Canadian flags were actually "made in Canada" the measurements would be correct.

Much respect shown in this thread, thank you, one and all.

Maybe if the Canadian flags were actually "made in Canada" the measurements would be correct.
OK, we agree this time.
I checked the flag shop where I have bought many flags over the years. Most flags were the 2:1 but there were some off sizes. Same for courtesy flags.
Therein lies the problem, if a protocol is to be followed, why sell a flag that does not fit the sizing.

Soo-Valley; said:
...why sell a flag that does not fit the sizing.
It's the way it is now.

When was the last time you found an article of clothing that was true to size/
I have 3 Columbia jackets hanging in my closet; L, XL and XXL. They all fit the same.

Can't trust ordering online and often can't find it in a store.

I ordered my quarantine and courtesy flags from Defender.com. After the discussion, I measured my courtesy flag. It doesn't conform to the 2:1 length to height ratio.

Ted

WOW! I have the right one!!

Regarding the Q flag, before COVID I rarely, if ever saw it flying. The ones I did see were being flown by ex-navy, and ex Coast Guard skippers.

I buy mine when in Canada…they sell only the correct ones! :) ??

Flags on Amazon

Where’s a good place to order flags online?

Get your flag via Amazon. We have tried to get them in the US without much luck. Most recently we lost our Bahamas flag and a new one in the Bahamas cost us $30. We gladly paid in an effort to aid in hurricane relief. We lost it soon after and replaced it from Amazon to $7!

C-TOW and more

Is a yellow flag required to be displayed when entering Canada prior to checking in with customs? Also, is there a Canadian tow boat operator equivalent to Sea Tow or Tow Boat US that serves Ontario and Quebec?

Traveling to Canada is a breeze. I see you are in Baltimore. Check in on line prior to entry and then make a phone call. The best and easiest port of entry is Grand Mahnan Island just inside the border in the Bay of Fundy. There are no agents there so a phone call will get you your clearance number for the boat.

As far as any thing you bring in the key phrase is “Ships Stores”. That will cover personal items (wine, cigarettes and other stuff) subject to Canadian taxes.

Enjoy your visit. Do not under any circumstances try to drink and keep pace with any Canadian. You will regret doing so for the next several days. Should you decide to travel to New Foundland be sure to have some “Screech”. It is a local poison on a bottle. There is some tradition involving kissing a cod but for the life of me I do not recall the details of that event. Maybe it is a good thing I do not remember.

Also, Canadian Marritimes have total visibility of your travels. In the Bay it is “Fundy Control”. Off Nova Scotia it is “Halifax Control”. Should you need assistance ot information on tides or the reversing currents in the St Johns river give them a hail. Friendly folks. Here is a link:
https://www.coast-guard.gc.ca/mcts-sctm/vessel-traffic-trafic-maritime-eng.html

They are on channel 12.

Last edited:
I just bought four flags over the past three months coincidentally. Canada flag to fly at the house during the Canadian trucker protests. The other posters are right, I got a correctly proportioned one and the hem brushed on the shrubbery. There was a run on them for a while during that situation, took nearly ten days to get one. Then I had to buy a Ukrainian replacement (blue on top for pete's sake!). Then our boat's name is Xanadu which is long gone of course, but it's located in what is now Inner Mongolia, so I got a couple of those. One burgee size and one 2 x 3 because I'm not quite sure how to fly it on our boat on dress up days yet. Got them all on ebay ultimately. All were good quality except Inner Mongolia, but I was lucky to find that one at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom