Old 02-22-2023, 09:07 AM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Adventure Awaits
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Heritage 43EU
Tying up on a “short” dock..?

Hi all - we’ve moved west and are planning on shipping our Grand Banks 43EU to join us there (Bainbridge Isl WA). At the moment, marina dockage is crazy tight on the island, and not much better in the surrounding area. That said, I have two immediate options that may be ok, but would appreciate your advice. Specifically, we have a very good floating dock at our home, but its length is only 35’. Our boat is 48’ LOA, and about 43’ at the waterline. I’ve never tied a boat to a dock that’s shorter than the vessel, and wondering if this is something we should even consider. I’ve received varied feedback on the notion. We also have a mooring ball there that is sufficient (holding power / swing radius), but I’d prefer to be on dock for a host of reasons. Any feedback / advice you can share would be very welcome! Thank you
JohnS211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
If the floating dock is solid and riding up and down on pilings, I would not hesitate to tie up a 43' LWL boat to a 35' dock. If there are no pilings and the dock was only anchored to the bottom somehow, I would hesitate -- especially if the boat/dock are exposed to possible strong winds. Perhaps uploading a picture would help you get better advice?
Old 02-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
There is no single, short, correct answer. It can be done. But. Consider cleat placement on both the boat and dock. Strength of the dock and attachments to shore and bottom. Think about where the prevailing storm winds blow from. Are the storm winds going to try to tear your boat off the dock? Or worse the the dock with boat attached off it's connections. Overhang in the wind will increase leverage on all components.

What about access? If depth dictates you dock bow to shore but your access is the swim step how will you board the boat?

Also consider maneuvering room for your boat and others around you.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
Guru

I could not resist taking the opportunity share my experience of tying to a short dock for the night in Southern Norway. It was short in the extreme and I would not have done it if the weather had been anything other than picture perfect. In addition to many fenders, we needed long lines tied from the midships cleats to trees/logs on shore.

The only "problem" we encountered was an apparently mentally-deficient swan who, upon seeing his reflection in the polished stainless steel anchor protector on our hull, assumed he was encountering another swan to attack. Furiously banging his beak on the stainless steel was not very entertaining for us, as this was all going on about 4am and he kept coming back after each time I got up to shoo him away. The solution in the end turned out to be the simple activation of the bow thruster, which happened to be located about right where he was attacking. Fortunately, my thruster has a remote control which I could take to bed with me and activate when necessary throughout the rest of the night ;-)

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Attached Thumbnails
P7192893.jpg   P7182872.jpg   P7192886.jpg  
Old 02-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS211 View Post
Specifically, we have a very good floating dock at our home, but its length is only 35’. Our boat is 48’ LOA, and about 43’ at the waterline. I’ve never tied a boat to a dock that’s shorter than the vessel, and wondering if this is something we should even consider.
Any chance of adding piles further forward, and maybe on the offside?

-Chris
Old 02-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Got room to run lines to shore from the offshore end of your vessel? Not sure if your plan is to bow or stern in.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
It isn't so much the length as the sturdiness of the dock. If it is well anchored to shore and is of stout construction it should work.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
A 43 foot LWL boat on a 35 foot floating dock should not be a problem, provided as stated above, the dock and pilings are in good repair and sound condition. Bear in mind your cleats are probably not all of that 43' LWL apart, probably slightly shorter than that.
You may need to upgrade the size of the cleats on your dock.

In addition, if the spacing of the pilings allows (I'm assuming that the dock DOES float up and down on pilings) you might consider using Perils, such as those sold under the name "Tideminders".

https://www.tideminders.com/about.htm

You can purchase these and others in many locations on line. Amazon, and West Marine are two sources.

We use them as our boat has especially high cleats. The perils help the pull to be more horizontal, especially when the wind is blowing off the dock.

Note: Unless your pilings are really small diameter, you will need 1.5 sets for each piling.

Posting a picture of your dock would help a lot with member suggestions!
Where in the PNW did you buy?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #9

Thanks all. This is a fairly new (2016) floating dock that sits at the end of a long (150’) steel pier. Very well engineered - steel pilings buried very deep. Mind blowing for me is the tidal change in this area - 10+’ (!). Good depth. I’m in a fairly protected harbor (Eagle Harbor) and in a well-positioned space - generally do pretty well re: prevailing winds. This will be a side tie. I have side boarding gates so can use dock steps to gain access, which would allow me to “center” the boat on the dock- leaving about 6-8’ projecting beyond the dock at the bow and stern. Dropping in some pix here per Scott’s suggestion. I may be able to permit an extension on the floating dock, but will take a minimum of 2 years (very slow process). Not sure about dropping additional pilings, but will check. In addition to feedback on the pros/cons of tying to the dock, would also appreciate any thoughts about how to best tie the lines (especially from the bow and stern coming “back to the dock”). Thank you!
Old 02-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #10
Guru

Sounds like you have a very promising setup, JohnS211! Yes, a picture would help focus the suggestions. Perhaps it would be possible to have the aft(?) end of the boat aligned with one end of the dock and somewhere forward, add a new cleat (or similar) on the boat to facilitate mooring that end. (Or vice versa). It could be a lot less expensive and less wait to add a cleat than to extend the dock...
Old 02-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #11
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
For a side tie where you can split the overhang between both ends, I'd consider it less of a problem.

For side ties in general, I'm a big fan of everything being long spring lines anyway, no short breast lines. So I'd probably start with a forward and aft spring off the spring cleat on the boat. Then a forward spring from the stern cleat and an aft spring from the bow cleat. Adjust the angles based on which dock cleats they go to as needed to get the boat to sit well against the dock and to keep the lines from being too much of a trip hazard when getting on/off the boat. Being a floating dock, the long spring lines method should allow you to tie the boat pretty tightly so it'll sit close to the dock but still allow enough give to absorb any movement.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:13 AM   #12

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1&d=1677082341

Dock photos (hopefully!) attached….
Attached Thumbnails
C323A31D-157D-42CC-A909-DA9AA1DF88F2.jpg   A02C6571-C105-4BB3-90FC-653D57096E2A.jpg   349D0214-2226-4EE7-A12B-5A6CC76E9EFB.jpg  
Old 02-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #13
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Welcome to Bainbridge Island! I agree with the other comments about the type and quality of dock construction. Also, be aware of the tidal depth changes. We live in the Crystal Springs/Lynnwood area. If your dock is located in one of the more exposed areas such as Rich Passage, I would be much more cautious than if it's in Port Blakely, Eagle Harbor or Port Madison. Our own solution was to keep our boat in Poulsbo until we decided in 2006 to leave her in Alaska as that was our ultimate cruising ground.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS211 View Post
Thanks all. This is a fairly new (2016) floating dock that sits at the end of a long (150’) steel pier. Very well engineered - steel pilings buried very deep. Mind blowing for me is the tidal change in this area - 10+’ (!). Good depth. I’m in a fairly protected harbor (Eagle Harbor) and in a well-positioned space - generally do pretty well re: prevailing winds. This will be a side tie. I have side boarding gates so can use dock steps to gain access, which would allow me to “center” the boat on the dock- leaving about 6-8’ projecting beyond the dock at the bow and stern. Dropping in some pix here per Scott’s suggestion. I may be able to permit an extension on the floating dock, but will take a minimum of 2 years (very slow process). Not sure about dropping additional pilings, but will check. In addition to feedback on the pros/cons of tying to the dock, would also appreciate any thoughts about how to best tie the lines (especially from the bow and stern coming “back to the dock”). Thank you!
Sounds like you have an ideal situation with not much to worry about. Tidal swings can be greater than 10', in summer we get very low tides. Extending the dock may be possible, new pilings probably not. The regulations in this area are just too tight.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
If you are in Eagle Harbor and a new Steel pier and pilings, I wouldn't hesitate. That is an extremely calm bay and sounds like the dock/pilings are plenty sturdy.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #16

Ok- not super intuitive, but hopefully I have the image upload process licked. I’ve attached a few photos of the dock in question - had to show the tidal change. As a former NJ guy, pretty mind-blowing range from high to low tide. You’ll see that the dock is anchored by a series of steel pilings that are super stout and well installed. Floating dock runs up and down with the pilings inset. https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1&d=1677087956
Attached Thumbnails
2B2EB585-EC78-4EFC-B8D3-817C5F138C9E.jpg   A7B66070-26AD-47D0-BEA1-A0BCBF947020.jpg   E73FB861-3E45-4B01-A812-4CA1D3A5AC4A.jpg  
Old 02-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #17
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Looks like there's a good selection of cleats there, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a working tie-up. And if you can get an extension approved, you might just be able to add on to one or both ends of the dock without having to replace it all.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:53 AM   #18
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post

The only "problem" we encountered was an apparently mentally-deficient swan who, upon seeing his reflection in the polished stainless steel anchor protector on our hull, assumed he was encountering another swan to attack. Furiously banging his beak on the stainless steel was not very entertaining for us, as this was all

Good swan story from New Yorker magazine: "...swans are considered the azzholes of the bird kingdom—aggressive, bitey, belligerent."
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Good swan story from New Yorker magazine: "...swans are considered the azzholes of the bird kingdom—aggressive, bitey, belligerent."
Interesting and sad stories...
Old 02-22-2023, 12:21 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Looks like a good, well built dock. Not quite sure from the photos, but you might consider adding larger cleats and make sure they are preferably
through bolted or have very long lag screws.

Also, you might want to check with the state as you might have a lease with them for the ground under your dock and might be restricted as to how long of boat you can keep at the dock.
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote