Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

City: San Diego
Transporting a 45' CHB- CA to RI

We are in the process of buying a 45' CHB Tri-Cabin in San Diego. We plan to liveaboard. My husband is in the Navy and in the same week we put an offer on the boat, he got verbal orders to Newport, Rhode Island for next summer! So, we've looked at trailering the boat cross country, and the prices are coming in at about $30,000 due to the height of the boat. Too high for us. Another option would be for us to take it ourselves. The current owner has offered to transport it on her own belly for us next year for a cost of $5000, plus fuel and expenses, which he estimates will be $10,000 and it will take about a month. The price is very fair, to me. Does anyone have experience with doing anything like this? Is a month a reasonable amount of time? Has anyone done the Pacific to Atlantic trip, either way? Thanks.
melroughwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
It would be less expensive to truck it cross country, than going thru the canal. Transiting the CZ is not as cheap as it used to be. We avoid it whenever possible, as in earlier this month.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
A month may be pushing it. But $30,000 sounds about right for across country. Take the guy's offer!!

How long will your husband be in Newport, RI?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: NH
I dunno. I would get some more opinions about time frames and expenses from experienced Captains. One month and $15,000 all in seem mighty conservative. Is it by coincidence that the number is exactly half of what you were quoted for overland transport? It is a nice offer by the owner but if the time and numbers are unrealistic then it starts to look like someone is trying too hard to close a deal. Good Luck! You will find your answers.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Tell the current owner that you will close the deal on the East Coast, offer to foot all expenses up to $20,000 and pay his $5000.

For over the water transport check with Anthony Utley at Raven Marine, they use a ship transporter between coasts with many happy customers.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melroughwater View Post
We are in the process of buying a 45' CHB Tri-Cabin in San Diego. We plan to liveaboard. My husband is in the Navy and in the same week we put an offer on the boat, he got verbal orders to Newport, Rhode Island for next summer! So, we've looked at trailering the boat cross country, and the prices are coming in at about $30,000 due to the height of the boat. Too high for us. Another option would be for us to take it ourselves. The current owner has offered to transport it on her own belly for us next year for a cost of $5000, plus fuel and expenses, which he estimates will be $10,000 and it will take about a month. The price is very fair, to me. Does anyone have experience with doing anything like this? Is a month a reasonable amount of time? Has anyone done the Pacific to Atlantic trip, either way? Thanks.

I'd truck it to Duluth or Green Bay, or maybe Menominee, Michigan. Then put it in the water and figure out a way to do at least a portion of the best part of the Great Loop (in reverse). If you couldn't get enough leave to do it all at once, then take two summers, or hire someone to do the last bit of the trip. Bet there are folks on this forum who would fight for the opportunity.

Talk with M&B Yacht Transport out of Menominee...good folks, family operation, used to haul for both Cruisers and Carver when they were still building a lot of boats. No affiliation, but I did check them out with those two companies back when we moved our boat from Texas to Green Bay. Rave reviews. Unfortunately, they were booked solid in those days, so I couldn't use them. I have a hunch that moving it across that far northern part of the country would be a lot easier and less expensive than dropping down through Chicago. This was my plan when I was looking at boats in Seattle. And consider stripping the boat down to a lower height by doing most of the grunt work yourself.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Would it be better to ship it across to FL or GA and run it north from there on the ICW? States like NJ are full of 13'6" highway bridges that the hauler must work around. Down south, 15' bridge heights seem the norm.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
tell the current owner that you will close the deal on the east coast, offer to foot all expenses up to $20,000 and pay his $5000.

this!!!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If I were going to truck the boat and being its in San Diego I'd truck if from San Diego to Houston.

Then you're on the ICW and can take your time getting it the rest of the way
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Guru

Whoops....for some reason I was thinking the boat is in Seattle when I made previous post. Yup, Houston makes more sense than the Great Lakes from San Diego.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by melroughwater View Post
I'm a huge fan of moving on the water, but that's when I can enjoy it. I don't know the age of the boat or engine hours or the speed or even the value of the boat. But a few comments. If the $15,000 is correct then you add to it the wear and tear, you add equipment failures that may happen over that range, you're rapidly increasing the cost.

You are talking over 5,000 miles. Assuming 8 hour days at 7 nmph plus a bit of distraction for 50 miles per day, thats 100 days. Was he planning on running it 24 hours? If so how can he possibly be paying a crew and himself to do so on $5000. If so you're talking 33 days plus time for fueling, provisions and food plus a week for the Panama Canal plus days waiting for weather windows and soon you're between 40 and 50 days with no issues developing. If the captain has underestimated the time then likely he has the cost and about half way there may be seeking more money. Remember the boat is totally out of your control on the way, in other countries even.

Fuel for 5,000 mile assuming it gets 2 miles per gallon so 2,500 gallons (now it may get better mileage, I don't know) but that would be 10,000 without other supplies and there would be others needed as you're putting 800 hours on the engines.

What happens when it breaks down in Mexico? How long to get it repaired? What cost? How much more to the delivery captain?

If you add $30,000 into the purchase price is it still a good deal? If not, is it too late to withdraw from the purchase? If you already own it then it more likely justifies the $30,000 than if you're buying it.

The whole idea of starting a trip like that on a boat I wasn't familiar with or having a captain do so scares me. Had I owned it, cruised it extensively, I might feel better.

The captain who gave you the great price, references? Bonding? Insurance? Has the survey been completed on it?

If it still makes sense to take it with you, I'd transport either on truck or barge. Now whether I'd transport to NJ or elsewhere, depends on savings in cost.

Obviously I have great concerns but feel that you asked so I have to answer honestly. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Just the canal fee alone is $ 2000.00 + -

+ fuel
+ moorage
+ maintenance
+ his fee
+ customs fees
+ insurance ( hurricane season is around the corner)
+ wear and tear

There is no way he can make it that fast. just won't happen.

The $ 30k would appear to be a better deal.. and less wear and tear.

If it doesn't make financial sense to move the boat east.. and you wish to back out of the deal.. you might be able to resend because it is a Military order..

Military orders can get one out of some agreements as you have no control over them. Most decent folks would also let a serving service member out of such a agreement as long as the sale has not been completed.

It is worth a shot to ask, if they decline and you want out look at the legal aspect.

Good Luck!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Remember the driver asking directions told "if I was going there, I wouldn`t be starting from here".
Getting out of the deal appeals. What if in 2 years hubby gets posted someplace equally inconvenient? Might you be buying the boat a little early? Any chance "relocation expenses" extend to a boat?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
FF
Guru

and it will take about a month.

Not very realistic.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'm still wondering if anyone has explored rail?

I think I read of a company in Mexico that trucks across to just shy of the Yucatan...much shorter distance, less bridges permits, lower overall costs....but doesn't save as much time, wear and tear...just some $$$.

I'm going to research a bit myself..was just wondering if anyone knew off hand.??

..especially interested in why rail hasn't stepped in to yacht transport or hasn't advertised it....maybe too few intercontinental trips???
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #16

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
You said you are " in the process..." I would stop the process and not buy the boat. As others noted, the wear and tear of taking it on its own bottom are huge and the cost and time are way greater than your assumptions. Find a boat on the east coast. Close friends shipped their boat from Texas to Seattle and spent an extra 20 grand repairing damages caused by transport.

Is your husband retiring at the end of his stint in Annapolis? If not, what will you do with the boat if/when he gets transferred again... And again?
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
You said you are " in the process..." I would stop the process and not buy the boat. As others noted, the wear and tear of taking it on its own bottom are huge and the cost and time are way greater than your assumptions. Find a boat on the east coast. Close friends shipped their boat from Texas to Seattle and spent an extra 20 grand repairing damages caused by transport.

Is your husband retiring at the end of his stint in Annapolis? If not, what will you do with the boat if/when he gets transferred again... And again?
We had our 44 trucked from Austin, Texas to the Great Lakes (nearly ten years ago). Dinged a prop during loading. The hauler's insurance paid with no problems...including removal, repair, rebalance and reinstallation. Otherwise, zero damage unless you count dead bugs and road grime on the transom. Being on scene with a digital camera and recording every step in the disassembly and loading is a must, however.

That said, it does make more sense to buy a boat in the Northeast. Have to wonder about living aboard year round in Rhode Island, though.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #18

City: San Diego
Hello everyone and thanks a lot for the responses. I am melroughwater's husband.

The boat is 45' long, 15' wide, and approx. 16' tall. I figured this would be good info to add since that will impact over-land shipping options.
CHBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Height may increase once on the trailer. Some boats the high stuff can be (relatively) easily removed, some boats that removal is a monumental PITA. Consult with a shipping co, they know the height restrictions on various routes, and permits needed, etc.

Sounds like a good moment to reconsider the whole purchase. Both by water and by land are expensive and fraught with risks. The money may be better spent on a local boat or maybe the whole thing should be delayed.

Transport by ship is also an option.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'm still wondering if anyone has explored rail?

Dependent upon the route, rail tunnels and bridgework limit the height and width. Normal container width is close to max and height can go up to say 14 to 15 feet overall including the car.

Sea carrier transportation in this case seems the most likely, if done at all.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote