Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Transport nightmare with a happy ending

I stumbled across an interesting thread on the Albin Owners Group forum this morning, Nightmare Overland Albin 35 TE Shipper/Transport.

It is a thread about a new boat owner shipping his boat from the east coast to the west coast. The owner did a lot of research into buying a boat, but relied on the seller's broker for a recommendation for transport. Needless to say, the transport company was not a good choice.

On page 3 of the thread the OP put together a nice 'Tips for Transport' list based on what he learned from his experience.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I stumbled across an interesting thread on the Albin Owners Group forum this morning, Nightmare Overland Albin 35 TE Shipper/Transport.

It is a thread about a new boat owner shipping his boat from the east coast to the west coast. The owner did a lot of research into buying a boat, but relied on the seller's broker for a recommendation for transport. Needless to say, the transport company was not a good choice.

On page 3 of the thread the OP put together a nice 'Tips for Transport' list based on what he learned from his experience.

Jim
I've always dreaded transporting boats and things, especially big things. I've had lousy experience with most shipping over the years.

Back when I was in business, I'd routinely have to ship heavy equipment across the country, stuff that weight from 500 lbs to several tons. (printing equipment). Over the first 5 years of business, 100% of the shipments were damaged, way late or they tried to add bogus charges. From then on, I hired my own guy, truck, riggers, fork lift and did it myself. Cost a bit more, but I was totally in control and worked well.

Surprising, there were several items that I shipped by air that was more reliable and picked it up from the air shippers warehouse, and was about the same cost as trucking.

====

Now, transporting a boat has got to be a big and delicate job. Proper loading, removal of fly bridges and/or radar arches, etc.

I'd sure NOT want to do it. I passed on a very nice boat in Canada because of the possible shipping hassles.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
For the last 15 years I've been shipping hardwood flooring and lumber all across the country. I've had two loads get stolen and several loads get water damaged because of crappy tarps. We've had trucks show up with no tarps knowing they have to have them. They try everything just to get the load . The last three years I've been stocking 3 full sets of truck tarps, $800 a set . We have a new rule and they know it before coming in. The rule is we are loading the truck and it will leave here with good tarps even if you have to buy them from us. I've weeded out a bunch of sorry trucks .
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
We used and have heard great things about Joules for moving yachts.

http://www.jouleyacht.com
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
We used and have heard great things about Joules for moving yachts.

Joule Yacht Transport | Yacht and Boat Transportation
Joules moves boats for many of the top US manufacturers and is very reputable. There are others as well with good recommendations from various members here. Finding the low bidder is a horrible way to pick a transport company. I can't imagine not being present, or at least having a trusted representative present, at the time of loading and at delivery.

Boat shipping is a very specialized area and not one that many are equipped to do right. To use a company that then farms the work out carries an inherent danger that they will just choose the low bidder.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I shipped our boat from Detroit to Portland, OR and it turned out OK, with just a couple of minor hiccups. I don't think the load broker made any money on this transaction because of some things he said/did.

First of all, before we shipped it he'd asked me when I wanted the trucker to be at the shipping marina. I asked that he be there a couple of days early in case there were any issues with the boat going onto the trailer. When the load got to Portland the trucker refused to unload the boat until he'd been paid $700/day standby time for the three days he stood around in Detroit. The load broker had failed to mention that to me.

We ended up on a conference call with me, the trucker and the load broker. They yelled at each other for about 10 minutes before I spoke up and got both of them calmed down. We ended up splitting the $2100 for standby time three ways (me, broker and trucker) and then the boat was unloaded.

The broker told me he'd shipped these 550's several times and was able to load the fly bridge on the bow of the boat once the boat was loaded on the truck. Didn't work and he had to buy the materials to build a cradle for the fly bridge, then ship it on a separate truck/trailer. That BOOBOO cost him extra for separate permits all the way across the country because the fly bridge is over 12' wide.

He said he knew the dry weight of my boat and calculated the cost of the permits in his bid. Well he figured the weight wrong and instead of just having to have Max Load permits he had to buy SuperMax Load permits for each state the boat went through. More $$$ out of his pocket.

What saved me a bunch of boat bucks was that I had a signed contract where the broker was responsible for delivery of my boat for the agreed upon price. That he had miscalculated a few things was not my fault and I stuck to my guns on that one.