Transport from Fl to New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but he excluded all suggestions in his request. He said, no captain, not himself, no trucking. That only left domestic freight ships and that's the least practical of all possibilities.

He didn't exclude running outside on initial post. He excluded ICW and hiring a Captain only.

I employed a Captain to help bring down my N46 from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale. He learned a few things from me and I learned he was a drunk.
We spent most of time outside at WOT. Every night, I'd go to bed (I had the day watch), he'd get drunk. outside, on autopilot, 4 mile out from shore, I was not too concerned. I still did not like it and I would not employ him again. Was a captain recommended by the broker.
Get references and check them too.

Nav aids are reversed on the ICW in a few places. When the ICW comes into a river, that become the predominate marker and returns to red, right, returning. The ICW normally has red markers on the mainland side with green towards the ocean but that changes when you go upriver in numerous locations.

The Jones Act prevents foreign flag vessels from transporting cargo from one US port to another US port. Shipping can be done from the Bahamas (Freeport) to the US northeast or from Florida to Canada but both routes are limited. I suggest checking with SevenStar to ask for suggestions,

Ahm, Because he asked for suggestions?

Questions generally have question marks at the end of the sentence, such as: "Does anyone know of a safe and reliable way to get my boat from Florida to NY? I'm leery about hiring a delivery captain, and can't get it up by myself? Is shipping an option?"

Instead of "Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water. Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat."

Questions generally have question marks at the end of the sentence, such as: "Does anyone know of a safe and reliable way to get my boat from Florida to NY? I'm leery about hiring a delivery captain, and can't get it up by myself? Is shipping an option?"

Instead of "Don’t want to go through the hassle of overland transport, just ship by water. Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat."

Then, invite a friend or two to assist you on the water.

Not sure of your point. Are you correcting my grammar, use of question mark or other?

Personally, I'd rather take it north on its bottom. If you don't have a week or two then you will miss all the fun of traveling the ICW and time outside at night. Go outside about 2 or 3 miles, put it on auto pilot and stare at the stars and the moon.

Consider inviting a boating friend.... or even a non-boating friend, to train.
Plan your marina stops, fuel stops and stops to replenish your perishables and special treats.

Of course you will share the cooking and cleaning.

Last edited:
Not sure of your point. Are you correcting my grammar, use of question mark or other?

Apologies SoF - no offense meant. I just don't think the OP is/was interested in insight or the questions would have been, well, questions. I should have just kept my fingers off the keyboard and moved on.

Personally, I appreciate the insight of the many very senior members of this forum.

I employed a Captain to help bring down my N46 from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale. He learned a few things from me and I learned he was a drunk.
We spent most of time outside at WOT. Every night, I'd go to bed (I had the day watch), he'd get drunk. outside, on autopilot, 4 mile out from shore, I was not too concerned. I still did not like it and I would not employ him again. Was a captain recommended by the broker.
Get references and check them too.
Of course now you can look back and laugh but I bet that was very frustrating.
I think I would have dropped him off at the next port.

Of course now you can look back and laugh but I bet that was very frustrating.
I think I would have dropped him off at the next port.

Nope, I don't laugh.

His next client showed up a day early, the capt and his wife chewed out the new owner for being early. Oh, he was drunk too. I suspect the new owners told him to leave the boat.

I have asked about the railroads and been told that no railroads won't ship boats because of too much motion that would damage the boat

But then many months later someone posted on here that they did ship a boat by railroad so I don't know if that's worth looking into or not so that would add another possible solution for the OP.

.....and for the new boaters ....remember what you were taught in some boating safety class.

The ICW is really marked by little yellow figures on other nav AIDS. So technically the markers don't change sides, they are marking primary channels and not necessarily the ICW....and if they happen to be on the wrong side of the ICW, the correct yellow ICW marking will be on that marker.

You might want to compare the cost of hiring a Capt and a mate to take it up and you just meet them on the other end, to shipping costs. The two scenarios are the same for you. You write a check and meet your boat where you want.

He already said "Will not hire a Capt’n to run my boat"

I wonder why he is so set about not hiring a Captain to travel and relieve him.

I am a little puzzled why we are continuing this debate.

The OP clearly said that he wasn't interested in truck or captain transport on its own bottom and since ship transport was not possible or unreasonably expensive, he would do it himself.

'Nuff said. Let him move it himself. But it is getting late.

David

I am a little puzzled why we are continuing this debate.

The OP clearly said that he wasn't interested in truck or captain transport on its own bottom and since ship transport was not possible or unreasonably expensive, he would do it himself.

'Nuff said. Let him move it himself. But it is getting late.

David

Yup, it is beginning to sound like the only option is to sell his current boat and buy one really close to his residence up north.

I wasn't sure about the "will not hire a captain" comment. Does that mean he doesn't want to take the trip with a hired captain....or no captain no how? It really is the same from the OP's perspective: You are hiring a professional to move your boat to a new location. What's the difference between a shipper or a captain ?

I got the impression that he meant not hiring a captain to move it for him without him present. And he didn't want to do the ICW run, so he didn't really want to go along for the trip.

I have asked about the railroads and been told that no railroads won't ship boats because of too much motion that would damage the boat

But then many months later someone posted on here that they did ship a boat by railroad so I don't know if that's worth looking into or not so that would add another possible solution for the OP.

I think shipping a boat by rail would be problematic. Loads often are limited to 10'6" or less.

Jim

I have shipped helicopters by rail with no problems. As mentioned earlier, rail has a very hard limit on width and height. It doesn’t take a very big boat to be over width for a rail car.

A PIA is best overcome in a short time period.

Get some crew , run North with the wind and current OUTSIDE , and it should be less than a week.

Thanks verified this morning.
Jones Act eliminates by ship.
Height eliminates by land.

Only option is to make the trip!

Jones Act not applicable if shipped to Canadian port.

Don't know what you're air draft is, but if you can get below 19', you could go up the Tennessee Tombigbee, ect. Basically doing the Great Loop in reverse to get to Lake Michigan.

Ted

I have no idea what speed the OP's boat is capable of, but based on my experience delivering an 8-knot vessel UP the rivers from the Gulf Coast through downtown Chicago, I would personally refuse any vessel delivery in that direction on a vessel not capable of 12-15 MPH in still water. Even then, there are just some years the Mississippi is NOT going to let you go that way. We didn't get a scratch on her, but going against the flow of the debris is not for the faint of heart nor do conditions allow for the least inattention. If the AICW is not to his liking, this trek is definitely so.

Don't remember the exact distance, but going up the Tombigbee has you on the Mississippi less than 100 miles. Certainly would aim to do it during a period of low flow.

Ted

Don't remember the exact distance, but going up the Tombigbee has you on the Mississippi less than 100 miles. Certainly would aim to do it during a period of low flow.

Ted

Nope. Not even close. It is a very long 220 miles give or take a bit from the Ohio/Mississippi junction to the Illinois River and then another uphill grind of 330 or so miles getting through downtown Chicago. With a 4-5 MPH adverse current in the Mississippi (about non-flood average AND for which we waited for almost two months in Green Turtle Bay Marina), it is a miserable run at 3-4 MPH made good ("Didn't we see that tree a half hour ago?"), and there are stretches of 30-50 miles with no useful anchorages meaning that if you screw up at that slow SOG, you are running in the dark. The swirling waters in a lot of stretches of the Mississippi we transited FREQUENTLY required stop-to-stop helm movement as the trawler (GB36) we were delivering got thrown around enough to land me on my butt if I wasn't being careful. Imagine trying to steer in that mess in the dark wondering what is in the water ahead. Very luckily for us, the Illinois was mild with only a couple MPH opposing current, but a few rain storms could have made its much narrower riverbed even harder to run against than the Mississippi, despite the dams. I pushed the Canadian owner hard to let me run around Florida and up the east coast rather than face this mess, but such was not to be, and I will not do it again. As we were doing the delivery more or less for the experience and received little compensation, he got a very well shaken down vessel with gratis resolutions for electrical charging and generator issue as well as installation of new electronics as he changed his mind about waiting until Canada to install AIS and new VHF radio by me as we trudged north over that summer. We were most envious of a group of four trawlers we saw going downstream on the Mighty Mississippi, and they were the only pleasure craft we saw on our five days on the river in July.

Rich, I wrote that you were on the Mississippi less than 100 miles. Said nothing about any other rivers.

In 2017 I did the Loop leaving Chicago around Labor day and arriving in Mobile in late October. During that time period most of the rivers had substantially reduced water levels and flows. The only rivers with 2 knots or greater flow were the short stretch of the Mississippi and the Ohio. Illinois was below a knot. I know this is unusual, but it does happen.

Ted

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom