Which transom shower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopistn

Vessel Make
37' C&L Double Cabin
The whale sure looks cool but I suspect KISS of the scandvik will last longer.

good point, I was wondering if anyone had used one of them or had a transom/deck shower preferance

Well since the Whale Twist is cheaper and only requires one hole I'll probably go that route and can always install the other option later if it fails.
I also noticed some high end wakeboard/ski boats come with the whale twist.

Looks over complex and expensive for KISS

KISS is a ball valve, a plastic click garden hose conector some hose and a shower head.
Outlay? $20 max from the local hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_20170425_073257~01.jpg
    IMG_20170425_073257~01.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I'm looking at installing a transom shower before ripping up my minitub.
I don't like the large box design and was looking at these 2, one requires 2 holes and one requires only one.
does anyone have experience with the whale twist?
The 2 hole option from Scandvik looks a little better as is all SS in my opinion but the whale twist might work better.

Scandvik Double-Cap Recessed Transom Shower with Push-Button Handle

Whale "Twist" Deck Shower with Mixer

I installed wahle twist on my boat, I think ok. It is good to have a mixing valve that drops hot water from the hot water boiler in the coming feed line because there may be a risk of burning the skin with too hot water. My charger is one (isotemp).

Mixing valve Mixing Valve for Regular, Basic, and Slim Water Heaters [ITP-SFD00011AA] - $50.00 : Isotherm-Parts, Marine Refrigeration and Parts

And it is good 2 x thrue hull, Allows for different installations

Last edited:

Anyone looking at these should know that there are two kinds of tempering or mixing valves. What you want is a thermostatic mixing valve. These attempt to output a constant temperature, rather than a constant proportion of cold to hot.

I changed the one in my house to a thermostatic and couldn't believe the difference it made. So when I re-did the boat plumbing, I added one. It's even more important on a boat because the hot water temperature is much more variable. Just mixing in a fixed amount of cold water will give you wild temperature swings at the faucet or shower head.

I sold both the Scandvik and the Whale showers. Both are good. My choice would be the Scandvik, more metal.

I bought the Scandvik Euro unit from HopCar and installed in our wet het head for our permanent shower . Very nice well built heavy duty unit. I just took it out and installed something else , I can't remember the brand . I'm going to reinstall the Scandvik as a transom shower . Now I wish I would have kept it in and added a fixed button to the unit so you don't have to hold it down while showering .

I have the Whale on the aft deck (cockpit) and it works great, best shower I have had. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you have plenty of room for the feed hose to go back behind the bulkhead.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom