Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #21
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Sure sounds like a heat exchanger leak.

Just had a heat exchanger leak on my Perkins. Should be an easy fix. The end cap gasket on the heat exchanger was leaking raw water into the coolant tank. To be more accurate there was not a gasket on the end cap. Just some plumbers putty or goop to seal it.
Don't know if it was a quick fix by the PO or ??? I'll also be rebuilding the other engine's heat exchanger as well with the proper gaskets from TAD.

Hope your issue is an easy fix.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Put down the sax, stay beside the mechanic and watch what he does. Crack on your a bit simple and ask him politely to explain how he is diagnosing the fault.
Because the boat/engine set up will be new to him he will check each circuit and by a process of elimination isolate and identify the fault, watch,listen and learn to help build up your own knowledge.
The reference in an earlier post to radiators is because a radiator repair shop can also fix heat exchangers too.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Transmission fluid heat exchangers are pretty cheap. Many consider them throw items as the cost to repair exceeds buying new. What dimensions and shape is your transmission heat exchanger? I couldn't quite make it out in the attachment.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #24

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
I'd just change trans fluid and freshwater coolant and monitor them. You can also pressure test the fresh water system for leak down. Then you'd know there is a leak. The only place that I can see for mixing of fluids is in the trans cooler,
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #25

City: Biloxi
Really appreciate the input I'm getting from so many on the trawler forum. Based on your input I've come up with a game plan... 1. Get the oil analyzed, 2. I am expecting (and hoping)that it is trani oil, if that's the case I will replace the heat exchanger and the oil cooler, then 3. flush the cooling system. So far not a major problem, if it's engine oil in the water....well that's a different beast! Thanks again for the advice, I will keep you posted.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Do you have an 'oil absorbent sheet'. Specifically the type that ONLY absorb petroleum? If so tear/cut a couple inch long strip. Dip it into the radiator. (Don't drop it it1). Let it sit there for a while. When you remove it if there's ANYthing on it then you have: 1. Crank case oil (head gasket block or liners cracked). 2. Bad tranny cooler.

For there to be petroleum IN the coolant it has to be coming from somewhere.

Are oil levels in block or tranny dropping? If the oil level's changing that's where the source is.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #27

What a difference a day makes! Put a sample of the liquid and gunk from the radiator into a mason jar and went to the best diesel people around, walked into his shop and said I need a oil analysis on this, he took it from me, leaned back in his chair, smiled and asked me why and I proceeded to tell him, he interrupted me and said, "there's no oil in that" I asked him how he could tell and he said "it's it's a glass container and there is no oil on the glass, he said all it is is coolant that hadn't been changed in a long time. Asked where the boat came from I told him Washington and also Alaska. He went on to tell me that up there they put all kinds if fluid in the coolant, just flush the heat exchanger out several times and everything gonna be alright. A good example of plain ol common sense, an in the field oil analysing test! Tom Petty said it best "most things we worry about don't happen anyway!" Gonna sleep good tonite! Thanks to all who participated in helping me out, it's appreciated.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
FF
Guru

Best flush is with 2 part cleaners.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #29
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Ain't that good news! But, keep an eye on it for a while just to be safe!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #30
FOG
Guru

Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Congrats on finding your issue.

I'm using this Hammerhead Marine Descaler – Bright Bay Products to flush mine.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Boston Area
I'm always impressed by people who have a chance to sell you their services when you don't need it, and tell you so. It's just nice to see and would make me feel pretty good about going to see him next time help is needed. ( assuming his advice is correct ....) should should tell everyone you know this story. I would have put his name up here, and gone to his website to give him a positive review.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Someone please tell me what's going on! !!!?!
Just for future reference, and to save receiving a lot of potentially misleading but honestly intended suggestions, I suggest in future just taking the time to present a clearer picture at the outset of the perceived issue. Explain what exact parts you are talking about, (a heat exchanger is not a radiator, eg), and the boat or vehicle it is in, and if possible pictures via the ubiquitous smart phone camera app, (wonderful things), so right from the get go, advice received will be relevant. Just sayin'...
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #33
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
And typical for owners (including me) to start sweating worst case scenario when reality says most problems are very simple.

One thing I don't believe that got mentioned was that if certain types of antifreeze are mixed, all sorts of sludge like concoctions can result.

Maybe this was one of this cases.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #34

She is still on the yard, I've drained what I can and added 50/50 antifreeze for now. When she's in the water in about two weeks I will flush out probably 2-3 times. I'm checking out the
Recommended Hammerhead descaler. Until then it's back to cosmetics, my wife has almost completed sanding a sloppy paint job that had been put on the exterior teak. Planning on using the Penofin brightner on all of it, then Penofin Marine Oil which I am told is excellent and low maintenance. When it comes to teak I have to see it to believe it!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #35

Actually I think I learned a lot from the advice and direction that was given. If in the future a similar situation arises and it's more than old coolant, I have a pretty good handle on where to start. when it comes to boats I try to soak up as much info as possible, never can tell what comes up next.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #36
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Very pleased to learn your problem was small in comparison to what might have been occurring.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Turner

When messing around with boats I've found plan B is not a bad idea. Did you send your transmission fluid out check as well as testing coolant for oil residues?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #38
Technical Guru

Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
That engine has alloy head and iron block. Good coolant chemistry is important to keep head from rotting near head gasket ports. Flush flush flush that nasty stuff out of there and get a good quality coolant.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #39
FF
Guru

"Transmission fluid heat exchangers are pretty cheap."

Depends , like most marine equipment they come in a number of grades.

The OEM exchanger might be cheap, but way better can be had.

Look in a Sendure catalog.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Recently had two marine 350 cid gasoline engine heat exchangers rebuilt by radiator shop I've used for decades. Came out nice; less than 1/4 cost for two new ones!

Also, unless lucky... when you get new ones that may be exact match... there are modifications required that could run into additional hundred$ for getting all nipples and mounting brackets correctly positioned. Rebuilds slip right back into place!
Attached Thumbnails
Port Rebuilt Heat Exchanger.jpg   Starboard Rebuilt Heat Exchanger.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote