Transiting the East River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Find anchoring easier than picking up moorings when by myself. Would consider that option. Plenty of places to anchor on this trip.

Unless you are in a big hurry, I'd suggest taking the route around the tip of Manhattan. Expensive but worth a stay at Liberty landing.

Which reminds me... That's a good fuel stop, too. Even as expensive as Liberty Landing is for dockage, fuel in NJ is cheaper than what you'll find in NY. We usually time our trip to avoid needing to spend the night in the NYC area. Liberty is nice, but not really worth it to us.

I remember the depth at the dock being a little shallow, but right near Haverstraw on the Hudson there is a big fuel distributor (Panco Petroleum) with a gas dock. Depending on the year, their prices range from decent to quite good. I just looked at the prices on their website, they're currently showing $2.99 for diesel, $3.35 for 89 octane gas, $3.99 for 93 octane. Considering gas and diesel are both well over $4 / gallon at my marina right now, I'd say their prices are pretty good.

Which reminds me... That's a good fuel stop, too. Even as expensive as Liberty Landing is for dockage, fuel in NJ is cheaper than what you'll find in NY. We usually time our trip to avoid needing to spend the night in the NYC area. Liberty is nice, but not really worth it to us.

With the increased taxes in NJ that had flipped around a bit over the years - checking here or other sources for prices can be helpful...
https://www.waterwayguide.com/fuel-price-report/3

With the increased taxes in NJ that had flipped around a bit over the years

Oh, I'd forgotten that. Will have to check prices before assuming anything next time I'm going that way, thanks!

rslifkin;1013773 right near Haverstraw on the Hudson there is a big fuel distributor (Panco Petroleum) with a gas dock.[/QUOTE said:
Good to know, thanks! I've also used Alpine, the little park along the Palisades, for gas but not diesel. It's a small-boat marina and very shallow.

NJ and NY are only a couple pennies apart on average for gas and diesel prices for road vehicles, so I'd assume marine will be similar.

Back
Top Bottom