Transient in South Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know what if any the maximum length of stay is in south Carolina for a vessel documented in Florida?

6 months

“S.C. Code section 12-37-714 provides, in pertinent part, that transient non-commercial personal property, including boats and motors, owned by non-residents acquires a tax situs within the state when it is within the state for sixty consecutive days or ninety days in the aggregate within a tax year. There is an option for counties within the state to increase the number of aggregate days to 180 days within the tax year, which all coastal counties within the state have done by county ordinance.”

Agree with the 6 months...that's what I found last year and had to clear out a couple days earlier than I had planned.

that is what I feared. my son (active duty military) is going to be stationed in sc for the next three years. he wants to live on a boat, he is a resident of Florida. would the boat need to be registered in sc of can it remain fl and just pay sc tax?
does anyone know if there might be a military exemption?

Contact the county tax department where the boat will be. The rates are pretty nominal.
Marinas would be another source of help.

Back
Top Bottom