Training captain wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know PNW training rates and assume Pau Hana does. Those who charge premium training rates are often more skilled at it.

In South Florida, I know many captains who will train for daily rates of $500 or so. However, training is not their specialty and others may be better at it.

I don't know PNW training rates and assume Pau Hana does. Those who charge premium training rates are often more skilled at it.

In South Florida, I know many captains who will train for daily rates of $500 or so. However, training is not their specialty and others may be better at it.

There are a lot of Coast Guard licensed captains out there. Very few teach and few are good at it.

It takes a certain type of individual to be able to teach boat handling in an easy to understand manner. There are so many things that a new boater has to learn prior to docking for the first time; wind, current, prop walk, momentum, pivot point, line handling, fender placement etc etc etc.

The captain also needs a calming demeanor to counteract the clients nervousness. The trainer getting excited, yelling or grabbing control away from the client in near misses during manuvering will certainly not gain the clients confidence. Don't laugh, those things have happened during training with training captains. And near misses will occur during training but a good captain will calmly tell you what to do with the gear levers to back out of trouble.

I don't know when the rules changed for obtaining a Coast Guard license but the CG changed the rules making it a lot easier to get a CG license 20 or so years ago. They are allowing the "License Schools" to give the test at their facility instead of at the CG examination facility. I've heard from too many Captains earning their license at these schools bragging about taking cheat sheets into the exam for the closed book "Rules of The Road" portion of the test and no one monitored them. They also bragged about being able to take the test multiple times until they passed. They also were able to take the other exams, one per day, or in any schedule.

When I took the test, it was at the Coast Guard station. For the closed book "Rules of the Road", they put me in an exam room. They took everything away from me and a CG person sat across the table from me during the test doing paperwork. If I did not pass, I had to reapply for the test and wait 30 days before I could take the test again. I signed up for three tests, a month apart, in case I did not pass the first time. I passed on the first try but it seemed like I forfeited whatever advance testing fees I paid. I also remember having to take all the exam modules in two days.

The schools also teach students how to "manufacturer" sea time according to a few sources.

I'm not accusing all the CG license schools for cheating. There were a few bad actors in the early years after the rule change when there were so many of these schools popping up. Most of the questionable schools have disappeared but the captains who earned their licenses at these schools still posses their license.

Last edited:
There are a lot of Coast Guard licensed captains out there. Very few teach and few are good at it.

It takes a certain type of individual to be able to teach boat handling in an easy to understand manner. There are so many things that a new boater has to learn prior to docking for the first time; wind, current, prop walk, momentum, pivot point, line handling, fender placement etc etc etc.

The captain also needs a calming demeanor to counteract the clients nervousness. The trainer getting excited, yelling or grabbing control away from the client in near misses during manuvering will certainly not gain the clients confidence. Don't laugh, those things have happened during training with training captains. And near misses will occur during training but a good captain will calmly tell you what to do with the gear levers to back out of trouble.

I don't know when the rules changed for obtaining a Coast Guard license but the CG changed the rules making it a lot easier to get a CG license 20 or so years ago. They are allowing the "License Schools" to give the test at their facility instead of at the CG examination facility. I've heard from too many Captains earning their license at these schools bragging about taking cheat sheets into the exam for the closed book "Rules of The Road" portion of the test and no one monitored them. They also bragged about being able to take the test multiple times until they passed. They also were able to take the other exams, one per day, or in any schedule.

When I took the test, it was at the Coast Guard station. For the closed book "Rules of the Road", they put me in an exam room. They took everything away from me and a CG person sat across the table from me during the test doing paperwork. If I did not pass, I had to reapply for the test and wait 30 days before I could take the test again. I signed up for three tests, a month apart, in case I did not pass the first time. I passed on the first try but it seemed like I forfeited whatever advance testing fees I paid. I also remember having to take all the exam modules in two days.

The schools also teach students how to "manufacturer" sea time.

The only ones I've seen teach students how to "manufacture" sea time are other captains. The school we use teaches the rules for sea time straight by the book.

As to your accusations regarding cheating on tests, I can speak only as to the school I've been to and they were very diligent.

I agree that many captains can't teach.

I can't speak as to the process 20 years ago as that's long before my involvement.

The only ones I've seen teach students how to "manufacture" sea time are other captains. The school we use teaches the rules for sea time straight by the book.

As to your accusations regarding cheating on tests, I can speak only as to the school I've been to and they were very diligent.

I agree that many captains can't teach.

I can't speak as to the process 20 years ago as that's long before my involvement.

The schools are owned and taught by captains.

As I stated earlier, the questionable schools have disappeared. Right after the CG rule change, when the license schools were accredited, there was an explosion of these schools in the PNW. Many of the schools were operated and taught by one captain, renting spaces at yacht clubs, marinas, community centers etc. They traveled around training in several cities. Most guaranteed obtaining a license in two to 4 weeks. The classes were in the evenings.

Our yacht club allowed one school to operate for a short time in our clubhouse but cancelled after some disturbing information about their testing practices surfaced.

Yea, at Chapman, the captain's exams were all proctored by instructors. None of it was 'open book'. All of it was 'no notes'.

Yea, at Chapman, the captain's exams were all proctored by instructors. None of it was 'open book'. All of it was 'no notes'.

Chapman's is an established maritime school. They would not tarnish their reputation. I'm referring to the schools that traveled around, holding classes in rented offices, yacht clubs, libraries.

On a Coast Guard exam, the rules of the road is the only closed book test. The rest of the modules are open book and reference materials are provided.

I think this is an important point. I am a terrible instructor. Just ask my wife and kids. Even stuff that I am really, really good at, I have a hard time teaching well.

A captain can be a great boat handler, but not be great at imparting that knowledge. I recall the same being true in general aviation decades ago. The OP is very wise to not only look for instruction but to ask for references. While a Captains license is an indication of training, qualifications, and sea time. It isn't an indication of their ability to teach.

I think this is an important point. I am a terrible instructor. Just ask my wife and kids. Even stuff that I am really, really good at, I have a hard time teaching well.

A captain can be a great boat handler, but not be great at imparting that knowledge. I recall the same being true in general aviation decades ago. The OP is very wise to not only look for instruction but to ask for references. While a Captains license is an indication of training, qualifications, and sea time. It isn't an indication of their ability to teach.

I worked with one training captain when I was learning to teach, who was really, really knowledgeable. But he would talk to the clients as if he was a Navy Chief and they as recruits. He didn't last long.

Chapman's is an established maritime school. They would not tarnish their reputation. I'm referring to the schools that traveled around, holding classes in rented offices, yacht clubs, libraries.

On a Coast Guard exam, the rules of the road is the only closed book test. The rest of the modules are open book and reference materials are provided.
And the travelling schools providing a service that Chapman's didn't are automatically different/more prone to cheating?

Modules that are closed book in "cheat schools" are easier than "open book" at the USCG exam centers.?

Met a lot of captains in my day, the ones that complained the most about the new system....well what can I say to explain that... :)

I got a great recommendation for a training captain from my marine insurance company. He and I became long time friends after that training.

And the travelling schools providing a service that Chapman's didn't are automatically different/more prone to cheating?

Modules that are closed book in "cheat schools" are easier than "open book" at the USCG exam centers.?

Met a lot of captains in my day, the ones that complained the most about the new system....well what can I say to explain that... :)

I think that some people saw an opportunity to make some quick money right after the CG rule change, opened schools and churned out licensed captains. When some of their students, who were guaranteed attendance until they passed the tests, were unable to pass and the school wanted to move on to the next location, the instructors, who were a one man show or a husband-wife team made some unethical decisions.

I'm not saying that all the schools cheated, just a few. But they churned out a lot of captains. The smaller new schools had less to lose than established ones. And pretty much all the traveling schools are gone now.

The cheat schools made it easier to pass the closed book Rules of the Road test by not actively preventing cheating. Pretty tough to cheat in an open book exam where memorizing is not required. Open book modules require you to know how to find and use information from CFR's, charts and reference books.

I've met a lot of captains in my day too. Most of them had no idea that these captain churning schools existed. And a lot of us spent time at a maritime academy before sitting for the test and took the test at the CG while a stern Guardsmen sat across from us watching every move.

It pisses me off that there was an easier way to get a license introduced after I got mine.

Like most things in life........ its more what you do with something than how you got it.

The only constant is change. I got my original issue in 1974, in my opinion it was harder then than it is now. My sea time had to be on inspected vessels of the appropriate size under licensed captains. I don't know if that was requirement was from the CFRs, from national CG rules or enforced by the local OCMI's rules.

When I wrote my exam there was no freedom of information act to provide the questions to all of the exams.

Interesting thing is the older captains I sailed under had the same complaint. "It's easier for you young pups than when I got mine!". The exam wasn't multiple guess. Some of them told me the Rules of the Road part had one question. - Write the rules of the road. -

Licensing isn't the only change in boating. With electronics navigation and collision avoidance are much easier now than when I started out. The list goes on.

My point being I can bemoan how much easier it is to get the license and run a boat than it used to be. Or when I get the opportunity to work with someone aiming for a license or whose license is a new issue with the ink still damp I can help them along. Teach them things the license prep schools don't cover. That also applies to sailing with non-licensed recreational boat captains / owners.

John,
I trained up in your area as well and i have a recommendation for you regarding a training captain and he lives in Anacortes.
I cannot say enough good things about Capt. Neil Harmsworth (360-774-1180).
Neil has a 100t license, comes from multi generations of captains. He is also friendly, extremely easy to get along with and flexible to meet the amount and type of training either you want, or your insurance company wants you to accomplish.
Neil blends a bit of salty old school knowledge with a little modern; how to use instruments, tie knots, deal with PNW fog and various weather, etc.
I don't remember his exact rates, but I remember they were quite reasonable and below what you would pay some of the Gucci broker outfits down in Seattle... ;)
I would send anyone in the PNW to Neil for training!

Funny, I guess I cheated my way into being a captain and still taught the old timers as much as the kids way too often.

Funny how much one forgets after graduating.

I remember as much from years of teaching those "cheat classes" as much as being licensed and on the water.

This has been a great excercise in "generalizations".....heck there's some rec boaters here that constantly bemoan suggestions from pros. :)

Last edited:
The only constant is change. I got my original issue in 1974, in my opinion it was harder then than it is now. My sea time had to be on inspected vessels of the appropriate size under licensed captains. I don't know if that was requirement was from the CFRs, from national CG rules or enforced by the local OCMI's rules.

When I wrote my exam there was no freedom of information act to provide the questions to all of the exams.

Interesting thing is the older captains I sailed under had the same complaint. "It's easier for you young pups than when I got mine!". The exam wasn't multiple guess. Some of them told me the Rules of the Road part had one question. - Write the rules of the road. -

Licensing isn't the only change in boating. With electronics navigation and collision avoidance are much easier now than when I started out. The list goes on.

My point being I can bemoan how much easier it is to get the license and run a boat than it used to be. Or when I get the opportunity to work with someone aiming for a license or whose license is a new issue with the ink still damp I can help them along. Teach them things the license prep schools don't cover. That also applies to sailing with non-licensed recreational boat captains / owners.

Thanks for your post. It puts a different perspective on my complaint since my experience was 15 years after yours and less difficult.

Yes, I had the benefit of having exam questions to all the tests. It would have been very difficult to pass the tests without them. It was on paper, not computer.

As for sea time, I was able to count all my pleasure boating experience. The CG did want to see ownership evidence for personal boats and sent an investigator to my marina to talk to my slip neighbors about how often I used the boat.

Us old guys either complain about the good all days or how tough the old days were.

Training captain

I have a possible connection for you in your area. We had a great experience with him. You can call me you’d like.
503-781-9558 Ken

We chartered a boat out of Anacortes Yacht Charters last September, and since we didn't have any twin engine experience, they made us hire a captain for the first couple of days.

Once he was satisfied that i could handle the boat, he said we could just drop him off in Friday Harbor. But he was such a good teacher, we decided to keep him an extra day so my wife could work with him and practice docking and maneuvering, etc. He was much more patient and relaxed than I would have been!

His name is Larry Byers - 425-205-0227. A really great guy and a great instructor as well.

Anacortes Yacht Charters has a number of captains they use, so you might also give them a call and see who they recommend.

I am near completion of the acquisition of my first proper trawler, and am interested in hiring a captain to provide some hands on training on my new boat. The boat is in the LaConnor marina so someone from around that area or Anacortes would probably be preferable.

I have boated all my life, but the largest boat I have owned was a 28’ Albin sport fisher (single diesel, bow thruster). I have done quite a bit of sailing on large keelboats, both round the bouys and offshore. The boat I am acquiring is 47’, twin diesel, bowthruster, 50,000lbs displacement. My son, age 34, would also accompany me for the training.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

John
Contact Jon Howe in Friday Harbor. Nice man, experienced Captain and superb instructor.

Funny how much one forgets after graduating.

For sure.

I spent days memorizing the Rules of the Road and two weeks after taking the test, could not remember very much of it.

I remember one of the questions was - if I saw three vertical white lights coming towards me in a narrow channel at night, who had the right away?

I probably don't have the question right and I certainly don't remember the answer. But, if I saw three white lights coming at me at night, I'd get out of the way no matter who had the right of way since any boat with three vertical light will surely be bigger than my boat.

Or look it up.

Training Captain

I had Galen do my survey work on a yacht I bought in La Conner. First class fellow, very knowledgeable and a licensed captain for deliveries and training. He has plenty of sea miles. Great person to work with.

Captains Marine Surveyors
Captain Galen Tyler
2415 T Ave Suite 207 Anacortes Washington 98221
Phone 360 202-1648⧫ Fax 360-293-8601 ⧫ Home Phone 360 466-3752
Email captaingalen@yahoo.com

Now, does anyone know of a good training skipper for motor yacht close quarters training on Vancouver Island?

I probably don't have the question right and I certainly don't remember the answer. But, if I saw three white lights coming at me at night, I'd get out of the way no matter who had the right of way since any boat with three vertical light will surely be bigger than my boat.

Or look it up.

I don't even care who has the bigger boat. It's like if a car is approaching you in your lane, are you going to stay simply because you've got the right of way?

I love how many captains are being suggested here. Clearly a lot available in the area with good reputations.

Have boat lust, will travel. Send airfare, and I will do it for free. Qualifications by separate correspondence. Can discuss this idea or just ship handling for the fun of it by phone. 850-271-8663. Advise by forum before calling because this phone is not otherwise answered.

P.S. My wife said I could go!

Oops

I looked at the OP without looking down the list farther at first and just jumped in with my friendly offer because the boat is so beautiful. I apologize to any commercial member here offering training captain service because I know what it is like trying to make a living afloat.

I looked at the OP without looking down the list farther at first and just jumped in with my friendly offer because the boat is so beautiful. I apologize to any commercial member here offering training captain service because I know what it is like trying to make a living afloat.

I'm just thinking of your airfare and who is going to pay it. Would seem a bit impractical unless you're really looking for a vacation trip in the PNW.

Contact Captain Chris in Vero Beach.He and Alyse are great teachers. We did 3 days with them and it was well worth the cost!

Enjoy!
Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

I'm just thinking of your airfare and who is going to pay it. Would seem a bit impractical unless you're really looking for a vacation trip in the PNW.

Maybe you missed the "send airfare" part. :) But that's all I'd want as "payment" for the opportunity to visit an old Naval Academy classmate in the area and have the fun of helping a fellow out on such a kewl boat. I found mentoring junior officers in shiphandling one of the most rewarding things I ever did in the Navy, and in my defense contractor job (1996 to 2012) I got to do it for even more years. Too bad OP's not within driving range!

Contact Captain Chris in Vero Beach.He and Alyse are great teachers. We did 3 days with them and it was well worth the cost!

Enjoy!
Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

I'm afraid Capn Chris won't work for the PNW, Even if he was willing to fly across country, there are so many excellent choices already up there, and they will tend to be more oriented towards the unique characteristics and places to go in the region.

Jack De Friel. Yacht deliveries NW. 425-802-1191

He is First Class. Well known and well respected. You will like working with him.

Back
Top Bottom