Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pnh2atl

We would like to eventually have a live aboard trawler but we have no experience. We have 8-9 years to gain some before I retire. I’m looking for some advice on what some of the first steps should be. We thought it might be fun to rent a boat with a Captain and spend a few days to a week on it one summer. Does anyone know where we might find a boat and Captain for some training? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

These people are in the Fort Myers area and have been around for decades. They have a good reputation on this forum and offer boats for charter and have training available.

https://www.swfyachts.com/

Ted

Welcome aboard. The first thing I would do is to take some boating classes. That way you will have some basic knowledge about boating and be able to talk to the captain without him/her having to explain everything basic to you. Good luck!

Welcome aboard.
I would look for a Americas Boating Club (ABC... AKA US Power Squadron) chapter near you. Their courses are varied and well done. Join and you immediately gain a network of like minded boaters many with extensive knowledge and experience.
Their courses are available live, virtual and online on your own depending on what works for you. Many ABC chapters are doing on the water training as conditions permit.
For chartering there are a few around east coast. FL around Fort Meyers, Chesapeake Bay and LeBoat in Canada on the Rideau Canal. Having sine ABC courses under your belt will make chartering easier and more rewarding.

One good bet are classes through U S Sail & Power Squadron, having recently changed the name to America's Boating Club. There is a couple who joined our Chapter a few years ago in preparation for doing the Loop. They completed a string of courses culminating with Advanced Piloting and did complete most of their Loop in one year (2020/2021 season). Their boat has spent the winter in Sturgeon Bay, WI and they plan to complete the Loop in 2022. Since they started in Dubuque, IA they need to go down the Illinois river from Chicago to the Mississippi.

OP: We are in the same position only in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to combine it with a trip to a beautiful part of the country you might consider these. They charter trawlers too. I have no affiliation other than doing a NW Explorations course in April - can report back.

https://www.nwexplorations.com/
Anacortes Yacht Charters

Thanks for all the input. We are going to take an online class or two first. Hands on second and maybe then try to go out with a Captain.

Thanks for all the input. We are going to take an online class or two first. Hands on second and maybe then try to go out with a Captain.

I think that is a very good plan to start with.

Report back

OP: We are in the same position only in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to combine it with a trip to a beautiful part of the country you might consider these. They charter trawlers too. I have no affiliation other than doing a NW Explorations course in April - can report back.

https://www.nwexplorations.com/
Anacortes Yacht Charters

Hi: I’m interested in hearing about your experience. I attended a course with Anacortes Yacht Charters and didn’t have the level of training from the captain that I had hoped for. The captain wasn’t familiar with the boat we were assigned that weekend (June 2020) and therefore we spent more time doing loops in the marina and none of the advanced skills of docking.

And it is worth sharing that at the end of the training, you’re asked to fill out a survey. One that you complete and hand to the captain before you leave (and before you learn if you passed or not :facepalm:).

That said, I was smiling the entire weekend.

Brad

Hi Brad, Thanks for your experience. I'll do the same. It was a close decision between Anacortes & NW Exped, who had the right course at the right time. My first sailing lesson in Ballard I broke a bone in the wrist of the instructor (her first time teaching) so fingers crossed I don't do any material damage to another human! I'm looking for smiles:)

Back
Top Bottom