Old 01-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

City: Ball Ground, GA
Training

We would like to eventually have a live aboard trawler but we have no experience. We have 8-9 years to gain some before I retire. Iím looking for some advice on what some of the first steps should be. We thought it might be fun to rent a boat with a Captain and spend a few days to a week on it one summer. Does anyone know where we might find a boat and Captain for some training? Thanks.
pnh2atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum!

These people are in the Fort Myers area and have been around for decades. They have a good reputation on this forum and offer boats for charter and have training available.

https://www.swfyachts.com/

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Check into this couple and their business:

https://www.captainchrisyachtservices.com/

They have helped many 'Great Loopers' identify the correct boat and offer training for everything from maintenence to navigation to operation of their boats.
Nancy and Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. The first thing I would do is to take some boating classes. That way you will have some basic knowledge about boating and be able to talk to the captain without him/her having to explain everything basic to you. Good luck!
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard.
I would look for a Americas Boating Club (ABC... AKA US Power Squadron) chapter near you. Their courses are varied and well done. Join and you immediately gain a network of like minded boaters many with extensive knowledge and experience.
Their courses are available live, virtual and online on your own depending on what works for you. Many ABC chapters are doing on the water training as conditions permit.
For chartering there are a few around east coast. FL around Fort Meyers, Chesapeake Bay and LeBoat in Canada on the Rideau Canal. Having sine ABC courses under your belt will make chartering easier and more rewarding.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:52 AM   #6

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
One good bet are classes through U S Sail & Power Squadron, having recently changed the name to America's Boating Club. There is a couple who joined our Chapter a few years ago in preparation for doing the Loop. They completed a string of courses culminating with Advanced Piloting and did complete most of their Loop in one year (2020/2021 season). Their boat has spent the winter in Sturgeon Bay, WI and they plan to complete the Loop in 2022. Since they started in Dubuque, IA they need to go down the Illinois river from Chicago to the Mississippi.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #7

City: Seattle
OP: We are in the same position only in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to combine it with a trip to a beautiful part of the country you might consider these. They charter trawlers too. I have no affiliation other than doing a NW Explorations course in April - can report back.

https://www.nwexplorations.com/
Anacortes Yacht Charters
huruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:18 PM   #8

City: Ball Ground, GA
Thanks for all the input. We are going to take an online class or two first. Hands on second and maybe then try to go out with a Captain.
pnh2atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnh2atl View Post
Thanks for all the input. We are going to take an online class or two first. Hands on second and maybe then try to go out with a Captain.
I think that is a very good plan to start with.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:23 AM   #10

Report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by huruta View Post
OP: We are in the same position only in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to combine it with a trip to a beautiful part of the country you might consider these. They charter trawlers too. I have no affiliation other than doing a NW Explorations course in April - can report back.

https://www.nwexplorations.com/
Anacortes Yacht Charters
Hi: Iím interested in hearing about your experience. I attended a course with Anacortes Yacht Charters and didnít have the level of training from the captain that I had hoped for. The captain wasnít familiar with the boat we were assigned that weekend (June 2020) and therefore we spent more time doing loops in the marina and none of the advanced skills of docking.

And it is worth sharing that at the end of the training, youíre asked to fill out a survey. One that you complete and hand to the captain before you leave (and before you learn if you passed or not ).

That said, I was smiling the entire weekend.

Brad
BradBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #11

Hi Brad, Thanks for your experience. I'll do the same. It was a close decision between Anacortes & NW Exped, who had the right course at the right time. My first sailing lesson in Ballard I broke a bone in the wrist of the instructor (her first time teaching) so fingers crossed I don't do any material damage to another human! I'm looking for smiles
huruta is offline   Reply With Quote