Trailer Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clivepc

Hello all,
so we are thinking we may want to spend a few years trailer trawling before doing the loop. Many might think that is backwards and we may change our minds again. But the thought of being able to take a "reasonably"' comfortable boat anywhere and anytime does appeal. Trouble is I'm finding very few.
No disrespect intended to the Cutwater/Ranger gang out there, but build quality seems pretty low considering the cost, although they are both pretty boats. The Helmsman 31 by comparison is a little gem for the same price, and I believe could be towed with some mods.
Does anyone out there know of a source for the Camano/Helmsman trailer idea, or even have some other good towable alternatives? I've searched the net and find very few. Maybe some European things but again all pricey.

many thanks.
The Bolton Wanderer.

Your thinking about towing a Helmsman/Camano 31? Got a Mack truck or at least an F450?

David

David,
Considering it.
It's been done before on the Camano and at 12000lbs 31 ft and 10.5 beam it isn't much larger than a Cutwater 30 or Ranger 31.
Frankly height is the bigger consideration along with the constant wide load issue, but weight is not. I live in Idaho and 2500/3500 trucks pulling 18000lb horse trailers are common.

TBW

Have you considered a C-Dory 25?

Only about 8000# on a trailer.

Clivpc,
Why such a big boat?
That’s an opinion not a question.
Small cruisers like the SeaDory are excellent. The whole reason for trailerable boats is handyness and convenience.

Nomad,
I hear you.
And in the end we may change our minds. But having been on some smaller boats, and the Cutwater/Ranger boats, I much appreciate the extra living and storage space a slightly large boat has. I imagine this boat (if we go this route) will spend 2 days on the road for every 30 in the drink. That's only an estimate of course, but I'd sooner have a lump to haul for a couple of days each trip and be more comfortable on the water rather than have an easy boat to pull and be cramped afloat. (And as a 40yr veteran CDL holder, I do like a challenge and a road trip) But, I do appreciate your point.

C-Dory looks great and appears a sound boat, and outboards can open up the season.. But the added living space of a flybridge and full queen berth is hard to beat. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I've never been much of a camper.. (To each their own)
Having said all that I'm not rich either so "needs must" may end up the order of the day.
Cheers TBW

Rosborough maybe would be worthy of consideration.

We used to RV to California and Arizona.

One year we saw and talked to a Washington couple parked in the local FLying J parking lot. They were sitting on the back deck of their Ranger tug, I think 27', heading for FLorida.
This was their second trip aboard and they loved it.
Once there they spent the winter.

Last edited:
Now I like this little boat.
Great pilot house concept with the sliding door. Nice swim platform more than the Dory.
Still a bit small for more than a week I'd think, (Foe me) but I bet someone has done the loop in one!
Bloody cool little boat though.
Cheers,
C.

Ranger Glenn,
Yes looked at this option and thanks so much for the reply.
The boat seems better suited for the French or English canals, (Which I would love to do) Head is a good size but feels awkwardly positioned and the berth feels that of a 22 ft boat.

Lots of good features but I don't warm to it compared to a Ranger, Cutwater, and particularly the Helmsman 31 for not much more $

BUT, I totally appreciate the input.. This is what I'm looking for.
many thanks Skipper.
TBW

I know of a couple of times a C-Dory 25 has done the loop. In one case a couple of guys from Australia chartered on and did it. In another case a couple did it and brought their cat and dog with them.

I'm sire there have been others.

Yes I guessed as much.
A very capable looking boat.
I imagine it breaching the bar and beaching after a long day of fishing off the great barrier reef.
I'm probably 20 years too late LOL.

All good stuff.,
TBW

26' Nordic Tug could be an option, less than 10' beam I believe.

One year we saw and talked to a Washington couple parked in the local FLying J parking lot. They were sitting on the back deck of their Ranger tug, I think 27', heading for FLorida.
This was their second trip aboard and they loved it.
Once there they spent the winter.

“Boater-homing”.

Local boy,
Yes sounds great!

I'm still coming down off contemplating 45 ft so the largest thing I can tow appeals more.. Right now. $ will be a factor.

Actually warming to the Great Harbor TT35, odd thing though it is..
But I'd need to work on that weird layout on the interior. Hits a few boxes though but again.. Not cheap.

TBW

Clive, we are considering the opposite of you. We have a C-Dory 25 and the 3/4 ton diesel to pull it. It is a great option for us now and with the head, heater, shower, etc is somewhat comfortable, like an RV. Problem is it’s not large enough to live on full time for months. I like the freedom it allows, but the small spaces and sparse accommodations makes more than a few weeks on it feel like camping. We have done three week trips, but at the end we are ready for a real bed, a real shower, real, comfortable seating...not living out of a duffle-bag.

Problem is trailering something bigger means wider, which means a special permit in WA. I’m sure other states have restrictions too, although I’ve never researched it, as we are still working stiffs. Plus, the stress and larger tow vehicle. The traffic in the urban PNW is unreal.

We may keep it post-retirement and drag it all over the US, as described above; boater-home it. Or find something “luxurious” to live on up here a few months a year. Lots to consider.

Might take a look around and watch to see if you can find an Outer Reef '26 Tug. One sold on here last year and there was a really old thread with a guy in Montana that had one.

Mark,
Yes it is a quandary. Currently I pull a Hunter 260 sailboat with a 9ft beam and the loading guides push it out to 10ft. Length of the boat on the trailer with the mast is 37 ft, so its a bit of a lump, but I actually enjoy pulling it and compared to driving a 60 ft semi through the streets of Europe (Used to drive) it's a breeze. So for me a 35 ft Great harbor with 10ft beam shouldn't feel much different than the Hunter except weight of course. Permits are a hassle for sure. I Never get one for the Hunter. Having a nice 45ft trawler moored somewhere really appeals also. (Problems of a rich man) But being able to spend 2 weeks in Seattle, 2 weeks in Coeur d'Alene, take a break, head over to flathead Montana, then maybe Jackson lake Wyoming, and then take her to warmer climates in the Winter sounds great also.
Space /storage is the issue. In part that's why boat with a fly bridge helps as it opens up so much more exterior space to...be.

29' Nimble Wanderer. Tows fine behind my Tundra, 8'6" beam means no permits. Might be on the small side for Looping but for trailerable boats, it's one of the best you can get. I considered a Rosborough, but the price tag was too high for me. And even smaller in terms of living space. Down side for Nimbles is, there aren't many around.

Trailer trawling

Nomad,
I hear you.
And in the end we may change our minds. But having been on some smaller boats, and the Cutwater/Ranger boats, I much appreciate the extra living and storage space a slightly large boat has. I imagine this boat (if we go this route) will spend 2 days on the road for every 30 in the drink. That's only an estimate of course, but I'd sooner have a lump to haul for a couple of days each trip and be more comfortable on the water rather than have an easy boat to pull and be cramped afloat. (And as a 40yr veteran CDL holder, I do like a challenge and a road trip) But, I do appreciate your point.

C-Dory looks great and appears a sound boat, and outboards can open up the season.. But the added living space of a flybridge and full queen berth is hard to beat. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I've never been much of a camper.. (To each their own)
Having said all that I'm not rich either so "needs must" may end up the order of the day.
Cheers TBW

Take a look at the Tom Cat. Built by C Dory. Much more room than the std 25 but still about the same size and trailerable. Also I'd consider a late model Mainship 30. Also an Albin 25 with the aft cabin is a pretty interesting boat. I've even seen some re powered with outboards which is a neat idea .

Last edited:
Bryant,
You’ve seen A25’s powered by an OB?
Got a pic?
I considered repowering my A25 w a 40-60hp OB.
The downside as I saw it was questionable resale value.
We had a club of about 50 members so I was familiar w a lot of A25s and never saw one OB powered.
HaHa wish I had one now.

Yes, I have seen several. Really neat idea, IMHO. Yes, a re power like that would be best on a boat you intend to keep for a long time if not forever and re sale might be an issue however I think more people than not would be intrigued. After all, maintenance and re power on an outboard is about a two day proposition. Lots of reasons to do it. Sadly, I don't have pics. However, there is a guy in Pensacola that took an aft cabin Gulf Star sailboat, removed the mast, engine and all rigging and put an outboard on it. It's really a cool boat and very similar in design to the Albin 25. I think I do have some pics of that boat anchored at the beach close to us in Pensacola. I'll look and see if I can get them to you.

I'd certainly back the suggestion above for a Rosborough

As for older boat designs? T'were me I'd just go with what I already have, the Albin-25 appearing at far left. Hey, if she can't carry all the stuff you want to bring along, leave what won't fit in the marina's dumpster.

Moby Dick,
The Albin is the only trailerable trawler IMO. Wish I could have my old one back.

Only real complaint is the viscious "snap" roll. My Willard is four times heavier and has a much more pleasant motion in the nasty.

Correction Wiully, Moby Nick, with an N :)

We have yet to experience the "snap roll". My two previous sailboats, a Dovekie and her "big sister", a Shearwater had absolutely flat bottoms (no deadrise) and they were very light displacement for their size so they would react to the least bit of wake or chop as soon as it passed the bilge, first the entry side, then the exit side. Really rough water would get violent inside the boat. Now THAT was a roll. The rounded bottom and bilges of the Albin is more comfortable for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom