Tragic day for "Anabelle"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like the only rock for miles around....what a beautiful boat, what a tragic end...

Yes, makes one wonder if it wasn't an insurance job? I had an accident once and the insurance adjuster after the fact confided in me at first he thought it was another insurance job but he admitted after a detailed examination he could tell that in fact it was an accident.

I don't think it makes one think that at all!! I have been past that rock at full tide and wondered if the chart was wrong it was so invisible. I got a shock on my return leg at low tide to see it so prominent. I was closer than I intended at full tide as I could see from my saved track on the way back, when I stood off a good deal further.

I don't think it makes one think that at all!! I have been past that rock at full tide and wondered if the chart was wrong it was so invisible. I got a shock on my return leg at low tide to see it so prominent. I was closer than I intended at full tide as I could see from my saved track on the way back, when I stood off a good deal further.

Thinking about it thanks to your comment makes me remember a couple of times in my past when I was close to hidden rocks that rise abruptly from the bottom completely unaware. Back then we did not have gps and when we did it wasn't as accurate as it is now. There certainly would not be much indication of its presence in a calm sea if covered by water.

Yes, makes one wonder if it wasn't an insurance job? I had an accident once and the insurance adjuster after the fact confided in me at first he thought it was another insurance job but he admitted after a detailed examination he could tell that in fact it was an accident.

Maybe a spaceship picked him up and dropped him there ?

Yes, makes one wonder if it wasn't an insurance job? ....
Wonder who the owners are, and what they might think of your defamatory implication of insurance fraud?

Wonder who the owners are, and what they might think of your defamatory implication of insurance fraud?

No, I simply made the comment based upon a personal experience that this incident reminded me of. Only the current owners know the truth

Heck, 18 years ago the US Navy lost a ship, USS LA MOURE COUNTY LST 1194, off Chile.

If I remember correctly, the cause was not shifting the GPS to the local datum that resulted in GPS/chart errors missed by the navigation team while operating the dark and local fog.

lst1194acc_1_t.jpg

"LA MOURE COUNTY was preparing for an amphibious landing, part of the annual UNITAS exercise, and was operating with the Chilean LST VALDIVIA (the former USS SAN BERNARDINO (LST 1189), a sister ship transferred to Chile several years ago). In the darkness and fog, LA MOURE COUNTY drove ashore on small rocky island just off the coast. VALDIVIA pulled her off the rocks and she anchored in Cifuncho Bay to evaluate the damage. Unofficial damage reports indicated massive damage to the hull and destruction of her propulsion systems.

Following the grounding, LA MOURE COUNTY underwent emergency repairs in Cifuncho Bay, to make her seaworthy for the 700 mile tow to Talcahuano, Chile. After getting underway October 28, she arrived at Talcahuano on the 31st, under tow by the Chilean icebreaker OSCAR VIEL TORO. This was her final port, as repairs to her severely damaged hull and machinery were judged to be uneconomical. It was determined that it was more beneficial for the damaged ship to be used as a target for a live fire Sink Exercise (SINKEX) rather than making costly repairs."

From - https://www.navysite.de/lst/lst1194.htm

Stuff happens....

Well, there is a chance she may live again. Coming up for auction in Dec.

Attachments

• Annabelle.pdf
    413.2 KB · Views: 207
Hull is cold-molded, triple diagonal Queensland maple. Epoxy and fibreglass exterior, and epoxy coated interior. Built in 1992 by Norman R Wright & Sons, a top-quaility boat builder in Brisbane. Two Cummins NTA 855 M @ 350HP, dry stack exhausts.

Page 402 for further info and photos
Classic Moreton Bay Cruisers > Home

Last edited:
Id be afraid to offer $1
Especially as correspondence with Andrew Seiffert saw me hammered with Linked In requests for years.

Hi,

Really sad, Does anyone know why to go wrong, autopilots and not focus on navigation, possibly?

NBs

She did not sell at auction, despite 'must be sold' hype. The starting point was set at AUD$35,000, and there was not a single bid.

No sale, a second tragic day for Annabelle. But, sometimes the bargain hunters watch and wait until post auction to pounce. Wooden hull, is that easier to fix than f/glass, maybe more people can do it? Sale by insurer?

Congratulations! Is that pic taken at RMYC?
Looking forward to hearing the restoration story. If you have trouble attaching in your first few posts, you could ask someone from "The Site Team" for help.

Congratulations! Is that pic taken at RMYC?
Looking forward to hearing the restoration story. If you have trouble attaching in your first few posts, you could ask someone from "The Site Team" for help.

She is back in the water at Able Point Marina Airlie Beach. Heading to Mackay to receive new motors and engineering

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom