Tragic day for "Anabelle"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is back in the water at Able Point Marina Airlie Beach. Heading to Mackay to receive new motors and engineering

So couldn't or didnt try to save the 855's?
What's happening with them?

So couldn't or didnt try to save the 855's?
What's happening with them?

The engines were assessed at Cummins in Brisbane and my decision was to replace them with new Yanmar 6AH2M 350hp and ZF boxes running same shafts and propeller size.
Old engines are at Cummins for their use.

Sure is a lot of nonsense and claptrap on this thread. Not useful at all.

Good luck with the restoration!

Bummer.
Could have put you onto an 855 expert in Brisbane who would have rebuilt or probably bought them for himself for resale.
The raw water pumps I could have sold in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I have fitted over two hundred Yanmars to boats and never had a problem, so continued on. the commercial users of these engines have been changing them at 40,000 hours so very confident in the product. Chinese Cummins reports are very mixed

I have fitted over two hundred Yanmars to boats and never had a problem, so continued on.
I never suggested you would have a problem, but you yourself said you'll have to get extra engineering done to use them so there is that.

the commercial users of these engines have been changing them at 40,000 hours so very confident in the product.
Fair enough.
Commercial operators of the 855 get similar but apparently dont usually need to change them but instead give them a bit of a rebuild in situ instead. :)

Chinese Cummins reports are very mixed
That they are.
I am yet to find an actual end user who had issues, not that I actively look, but they are out there so I am told. ;)

Regardless, it will be good to see her operational again.

I have fitted over two hundred Yanmars to boats and never had a problem, so continued on. the commercial users of these engines have been changing them at 40,000 hours so very confident in the product. Chinese Cummins reports are very mixed

Are the yanmars made in China?

A late post I know but so happy to see that you were able to save this vessel.
I used to admire it when it was birthed in Raby Bay at the home of its original owners.

A late post I know but so happy to see that you were able to save this vessel.
I used to admire it when it was birthed in Raby Bay at the home of its original owners.
Yes, a most beautiful vessel. Sure would have liked to know what actually happened

Yes, a most beautiful vessel. Sure would have liked to know what actually happened

I’m sure that there is a very interesting Loss Adjusters file worth reading somewhere.
A ballsy punt by the new owner that’s paid off.
It was last on the market in 2015 for A$1.8m.
It passed in at the salvage auction on the auctioneers opening bid of A$35k.

I’m sure that there is a very interesting Loss Adjusters file worth reading somewhere.
A ballsy punt by the new owner that’s paid off.
It was last on the market in 2015 for A$1.8m.
It passed in at the salvage auction on the auctioneers opening bid of A$35k.
Wow....wonder how much the repairs were

Wow....wonder how much the repairs were
Depends on what level they went to.

If bringing her back to her original splendour replacing everything with a highly paid yard doing all the work it'd cost a truckload

If accepting that she was bought cheap, replacing what needs replacing to get her working , accepting that not everything was actually needed and being happy with big hardware paint over water damaged veneer she could be done relatively cheap in comparison.

I'd suggest that someone who bought that boat, got it back in the water, and has fitted over 200 Yanmar engines in their career or lifetime, probably was a person with significant ability in this area, a solid plan, and the means to implement it. We could wonder about a lot of things, but I suspect the boat was lucky enough to find the right owner, versus the owner getting lucky by chance after buying it.

I'd suggest that someone who bought that boat, got it back in the water, and has fitted over 200 Yanmar engines in their career or lifetime, probably was a person with significant ability in this area, a solid plan, and the means to implement it. We could wonder about a lot of things, but I suspect the boat was lucky enough to find the right owner, versus the owner getting lucky by chance after buying it.

If the new owner paid 1.8 million for vessel that was given a facelift refit he may be facing extensive future repairs.

If the new owner paid 1.8 million for vessel that was given a facelift refit he may be facing extensive future repairs.

Well, the present owner is or has repowered vs rebuilt or cleaned up. No telling how deep. But, doesn't seem facelift to me.

Well, the present owner is or has repowered vs rebuilt or cleaned up. No telling how deep. But, doesn't seem facelift to me.
chuckle...thats what a facelift is. I knew a vessel named, Welcome II, was a registered historical landmark that i watched rotting at the dock for over twenty years. This was a quality fantail private yatch of wood and was on the verge of sinking when it went up for sale. I looked her over it was at one time a beautiful vessel but at the tyime i did not have the resources to make the repairs so i passed it by. Soon i noticed someone was painting the vessel down to the water line dressing up a tiny bit and a friend decided to buy it. He asked my opinion and i said the bottom was in bad repair and would cost a fortune to repair he thanked me and went and bougt it. I lectured him but he insisted no p[roblem he would fix it. Well of course it needed to go to a yard capable of handling a vessel of this size and type the nearest was maybe 100 miles away via water. Since mechanically it seemed in good shape he asked for my assistance to take it to the yard in Alemeda Ca. and i consented. This was a challenge cause if you went over about two knots the pumps could not keep up with the water comming in even with two extras of mine working. I took my 20ft runabout along just in case as i half expected the rotten bottom to give way but we made it and i left him to deal with the yard. He put every dime he had into the boat which was only enough to begin repairs as the more they got into the bottom the more issues they found. After a year or so he began looking for help investers or out right sale to someone with the resources to save the old girl. I never heard anymore but she is no longer listed o9n the historical vessel registry or at least i have not been able to locate her. My feeling is she was eventually scraped. Sad. But those wooden vessel so grand when kept up are a nightmare if neglected.

Found these pics of her on the hard in August

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1630804203170.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630804203170.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1630804219040.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630804219040.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 23
Maybe a crossed wire there.
The owner who sunk it paid $1.8.
It was then auctioned as salvage.
The auctioneer tried to open bidding at $35k and didn’t get a bid.
We are left to guess what it actually sold for as salvage butt I’d be happy to have wager on it owing him less than $500k after the refit and repairs.
I’d be very happy with that.

Maybe a crossed wire there.
The owner who sunk it paid $1.8.
It was then auctioned as salvage.
The auctioneer tried to open bidding at $35k and didn’t get a bid.
We are left to guess what it actually sold for as salvage butt I’d be happy to have wager on it owing him less than $500k after the refit and repairs.
I’d be very happy with that.

opps....I was thinking it sold for 1.8 mill after salvage. She has beautiful lines makes me happy to know she was resurrected

Thanks for the clarification

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom