Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #1

City: Sioux Falls
Vessel Name: Positive Latitude
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Tracking Boat Maintenance Projects

Doesn't it seem like boat projects are endless? Just as important as getting them right is documenting what you did. Having used different apps in the past, we've been burned when the apps are no longer supported or updated. As a result, we've been using a spreadsheet to track our maintenance projects and added several features to make the tracking more useful. The template is available to anyone for free to use/modify and you can get*more info about the template on our website (https://ourpositivelatitude.com/capt...excel-template), including a short video.

If you previously downloaded our free Captain's Log, you will already see a download link for the Maintenance Log in your email.

Mark Rinkel

m/v Positive Latitude

ourpositivelatitude.com
mrinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Well thought out spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

City: Tall Timbers Maryland
Vessel Name: Devil Dog
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I like it!
Old 02-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I like your log because it in many ways resembles my own Excel workbook which I started in 1986 as a DBase III file before transitioning it to Excel. Yours is more sophisticated and quite nicely done, but where do you go to find out what scheduled maintenance is due? I generated my Excel list of "to-do" stuff by combing every equipment manual for routine items and placing all that on a sheet which auto-highlights to action due after updating the day's date and engine/generator hours at the top of the page. I have other misc items such as safety battery replacement in SOS light and end-for-ending anchor chain, etc, etc there so nothing slips through the cracks.

I have a separate sheet listing all the mods/improvements I have made, and I always update my boat equipment list kept on a Word document anytime a mod/improvement impacts what a prospective buyer or new owner should expect to see. I make sure my potential heirs have access to this stuff to facilitate things for them. How many boats are transferred to new owners from estates with zero documentation???
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #5

City: Sioux Falls
Vessel Name: Positive Latitude
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Good question! I use a separate "to do" app on my phone for tracking maintenance due. I use this approach because I look at my various to do lists more often and can set notifications, etc. Yikes, I just counted and I've got 6 active to do lists, a few of which I share with my wife who uses the same app on her phone. I generally update my maintenace spreadsheet after the fact, but rely on my to do lists on a regular basis to figure out what needs to be done and when it needs to be done. I've seen several spreadsheets that do include scheduled maintenance and they look very helpful. However, for me I'd rather track it on my app that I look at several times a day.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I like your log because it in many ways resembles my own Excel workbook which I started in 1986 as a DBase III file before transitioning it to Excel. Yours is more sophisticated and quite nicely done, but where do you go to find out what scheduled maintenance is due? I generated my Excel list of "to-do" stuff by combing every equipment manual for routine items and placing all that on a sheet which auto-highlights to action due after updating the day's date and engine/generator hours at the top of the page. I have other misc items such as safety battery replacement in SOS light and end-for-ending anchor chain, etc, etc there so nothing slips through the cracks.

I have a separate sheet listing all the mods/improvements I have made, and I always update my boat equipment list kept on a Word document anytime a mod/improvement impacts what a prospective buyer or new owner should expect to see. I make sure my potential heirs have access to this stuff to facilitate things for them. How many boats are transferred to new owners from estates with zero documentation???
mrinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
One thing I did to augment my log (I just wrote everything in the maintenance section of my ship's log) was to use a label maker to note the engine hours and/or date that an item was serviced and stick the label on said item. Served as an instant reminder. For things that are "X hours or Y time, whichever comes first", put the out date in your electronic calendar as an appointment.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1984 Ponderosa 48 CPMY
Thank you for putting this together! The extent of my excel knowledge is "sum(B2*B3)" I cannot imagine the time spent on this and really appreciate your willingness to share.
Flyguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
One thing I did to augment my log (I just wrote everything in the maintenance section of my ship's log) was to use a label maker to note the engine hours and/or date that an item was serviced and stick the label on said item. Served as an instant reminder. For things that are "X hours or Y time, whichever comes first", put the out date in your electronic calendar as an appointment.
I know this labeling of items like oil filters on engines with the date/hours last changed seems like a good idea (I have NO issue with it), but a spreadsheet with all the appropriate data and a counting function to signal in big red letters the word "DUE" will ensure you do not miss something. Looking at the date/hours of stuff in your ER as you pass through is satisfying on a certain level, but it needs to be backed up with a more infallable systematic approach.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote