Towing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like AKDoug says towing in Cook Inlet, with its tides, and into the Kenai river can be challenging at times. I am sure other places have their own set of problems so as has been said each tow is different.
I commercial fished the Inlet for many years and made many tows during that time. I built a tow rig after the first few times. I had two 50 foot pieces of 3/4 nylon and an old tire tied in the middle. The weight and flex of the tire really helped to reduce the shock load on both boats cleats.
The only time I needed help getting home was because of a broken rudder yoke. On the radio I heard a boat calling for help as his engine would over heat after 5 minutes of running. Turns out we were close to each other so he limped over to me. We tied them up side by side. He steered, I powered, and us two cripples made it home with no other help:thumb:
David

When I used to race a Star, there was a story going around that to get a fleet of Vancouver Stars to a race in Victoria, a towboat was arranged for a number of them to go line astern. In Active pass, where there can be standing waves of 2 to 3 feet, the tow went through some of those standing waves, which the stars did not rise above, thus filling the open cockpits with water and sinking. $hit happens!

Back
Top Bottom