towing outboards - in gear or neurtral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About1 in 20 sailboaters on the Atlantic ICW us their sails on a daily basis.

If I visited the ICW I doubt if I'd be raising the sails or lifting my dinghy. Not really required for flat water.

We used to tow an 11 foot whaler that used to pass us on occasion, when being towed! Exciting to watch it surf by a couple of feet from ramming the stern!....
Towing, outboard in gear,and running, is not recommended.:D

Mast

I have a dinghy lifting thing called a mast. They are expensive, but it came with the boat. There is a separate halyard for lifting the dinghy onto the saloon roof.

AusCan,
Yes I would have same if we weren’t under covered moorage .. low covered moorage.
I have in mind a fold down inverted “V” type mast made from aluminum tubing much like UL aircraft.
But since we will be anchoring more this summer we may give a go at towing again. My thoughts on this are reflected in my previous recent post.

"They like to use their sails and hate engines and they don’t go very far."

That's probably why sails have crossed oceans perhaps 1,000 times more often than marine motorists?

Towing a tillered OB with engine down will necessitate a way to keep the dink aimed ahead. Thinking ropes here on the tiller. My 15 hp 2s merc has loose steering in spite of how I tighten the swivel adj screw. Uncommanded full lock on the OB will make some excitement in any seas.
I kind of like the drag the line idea behind the dink and keep the motor up. But, I'd darn sure make it a floating line if crossing the banks.

Sea state is a factor. I've witnessed a small dink totally invert and submerge behind a 41 morgan, obviously going slow.

Back
Top Bottom