Towboat US liability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carry a couple of 250’ extra lines. One is planned as a spare anchor rode and the other is planned to be used as a towline. But I could use them together if a long towline is needed. They are both brand new so they are in a know good condition. If I were to use them much for either anchoring or towing then I would replace them and cut them into dock lines. I like to know that a towline is in really good condition since it may be subject to quite a bit of stress. I have seen people get away with crap line used as a towline but I would not be comfortable doing that. In the scheme of things line is pretty cheap compared to a towline parting under load and snapping back. Snap back isn’t something you want to see first hand.

My anchor line is chain.I have a half inch 300ft and then various 3/4 and 1 inch dock lines. Do i need to have a larger long line on board?

It depends on if you ever plan on towing anyone. But you can’t really plan on that so I would carry at least one long line of substantial size. You may never need it but if you come upon someone in need it is nice to be able to help. Half inch would be at the bottom of what I would consider using as a towline. If you are going to tow a boat your size 3/4” would be better. 1/2” may do if the weather is good and everything works ok.

For what ever reason I ended up towing a lot of boats when I gillnetted. I keep two 100ft lines and an old car tire onboard. Tie the tire in the middle and it took a ton of the jerk out of the tow. Used it twice from Gore Point to Kenai with no problems plus a bunch of times in Cook Inlet.

parts of the story have me scratching my head (like they were going to the Bering Sea but couldn't even make it 50 miles down the coast).

They're ultimate goal was the BALTIC Sea. No mention of the Bearing Sea. Heading to the Bearing Sea from Florida would put them through the Panama Canal and they would then need to go backwards against the current for a few thousand miles.

From the article they were grounded AFTER they accepted a tow. The tow company's boat sank, then the boat being towed sank.

The tow company would be liable for both boats in this case IMHO. The boat being towed was not structurally at risk a the time of the tow. They were put on the rocks and subsequent damage came as a result of the tow company.

If my engine stops running and I get a tow and the tow truck drives off of the road and totals both vehicles, that is not the fault of the vehicle being towed.

It's one thing for the two company to be absolved of tow related damage, like a pulled cleat. But IMHO this is something completely different.

Still usually depends on showing negligence....and unless I missed a link, not enough info in the first article.

Bering/Baltic....pretty sure they wouldn't have made either one.

So their only other option was to not call for a tow and end up on the beach anyway? It just sounds like a lose-lose situation in this case.

My original question was not trying to place blame, just wondering if I am liable for damage to the towboat if I were ever in a similar situation. Those who answered that Towboat US is jockeying for Admiralty Court makes sense here, thanks again.

We don’t know enough of the story to say much. We can certainly dream up scenarios of negligence on both sides. The odds of the tow boat having a case are small but not nil. I still think the tow company filed a law suit to position them selves in a more favorable court.

Interesting, if I was being towed on a lee shore, and the tow boat had problems . . . perhaps deploy your ANCHOR? Isn't that kind of what anchors are mad for? Like many others have said, easy enough to second guess, but not enough info to go on here . . .:eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom