Toured a Nordhavn 55 yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael B,

If your looking for a better guest cabin bed look at the 57's, they have a great guest cabin berth with a big skylight directly overhead. They also are faster and quite fuel efficient and have a great overall layout. I have a lot of sea miles in a N57 and it will be on my short list in the future.

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood, we've been intrigued with the Nordhavn 57 for some time but have yet to be on board one. One question we have regarding the forward stateroom berth is how accessible it is to climb in or out of. At first glance it looks like an island berth but the forward shelving appears to sidle along the berth for a bit. For a person with a bad back it not be suitable. Thoughts?

Hollywood, we've been intrigued with the Nordhavn 57 for some time but have yet to be on board one. One question we have regarding the forward stateroom berth is how accessible it is to climb in or out of. At first glance it looks like an island berth but the forward shelving appears to sidle along the berth for a bit. For a person with a bad back it not be suitable. Thoughts?

I have spent almost 3 weeks at a time using the front cabin on a 57 and never had any issue with access, also the Admiral and I spent a couple weeks sharing the same berth and she really liked it. In a not too hot climate sleeping under the big overhead hatch was a real joy as the wind funneled in through the hatch and out of the side ports. The forward head was shared by the bunk cabin and the forward stateroom. Overall its a great boat.. the E.R. has good access to the Main, wing engine, gen sets and all systems. I really like the access from the aft deck also.. when both ends are open the ER vents really well ( when doing work down there). The only ER I have liked better was on a 80'+ trawler with a air conditioned ER.. that was living!.
Hope this helps,
HOLLYWOOD

Twisted: What are you buying next??

I hear there is a spectacular Nordhavn 60 for sale in Seattle called Tanglewood.....Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

Yes, Twisted, waddayah doin'? I went over a Nordy 55 at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show some years ago, and fell in love...except for the stunted cockpit. The Nordy 60 you have corrects that, and in my view is the perfect boat. Love the extended cockpit. Love the fact the main beds are athwartships, so you're not rolling round in bed in a rolly anchorage. Can't understand why more builders don't do this.

Where to next..? What boat could possibly top that one you have..? :eek::nonono: :facepalm:

Or, are you just selling it to move on to some other activity. If so that's ok too. I just did that. :D

Last edited:
Yes, Twisted, waddayah doin'? I went over a Nordy 55 at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show some years ago, and fell in love...except for the stunted cockpit. The Nordy 60 you have corrects that, and in my view is the perfect boat. Love the extended cockpit. Love the fact the main beds are athwartships, so you're not rolling round in bed in a rolly anchorage. Can't understand why more builders don't do this.

Where to next..? What boat could possibly top that one you have..? :eek::nonono: :facepalm:

Or, are you just selling it to move on to some other activity. If so that's ok too. I just did that. :D

Thanks for asking. We are building a Nordhavn 68. I'm a glutton for punishment :) Love the 60, and it actually pains me to watch the video walk through. But we really like the extra space on the 68 since it's home for at least half the year. And we have a bunch of land projects that have queued up, so taking 2 years off from big cruising to build the 68 fit our other plans as well. If you are interested, I wrote a brief blog article about it, and need to get going with more blog details.

I’d love to buy Twisted’s boat. I bet it’s perfect.

Now off to get a lotto ticket!

Thanks for asking. We are building a Nordhavn 68. I'm a glutton for punishment :) Love the 60, and it actually pains me to watch the video walk through. But we really like the extra space on the 68 since it's home for at least half the year. And we have a bunch of land projects that have queued up, so taking 2 years off from big cruising to build the 68 fit our other plans as well. If you are interested, I wrote a brief blog article about it, and need to get going with more blog details.

Twisted, would you have preferred that the 60 you're selling have more salon and less cockpit like the new 52 design, or would you prefer the larger cockpit? Just curious.

Good luck on the 68 build! I'm assuming all your experience with the 60 will give you a huge jump on how you want the 68 outfitted.

Is the blog post the one with all the boat specs, or are you referring to a different post?

Last edited:
Twisted, would you have preferred that the 60 you're selling have more salon and less cockpit like the new 52 design, or would you prefer the larger cockpit? Just curious.

Good luck on the 68 build! I'm assuming all your experience with the 60 will give you a huge jump on how you want the 68 outfitted.

Is the blog post the one with all the boat specs, or are you referring to a different post?

The blog post is just a thumbnail of the boat specs, so I think the one you are referring to.

I really like the bigger cockpit, and Nordhavn seems to have figured that out now with all the models now having larger cockpits. A couple of 60s have been built with stretched salons, taking 1-2 feet of cockpit space and giving it to the salon. I'd at least think about it of building another 60, but not at all sure I'd seriously consider it. The 60 has great outdoor space, which we like, yet with the extended boat deck and fly bridge hard top, the cockpit and flybridge are both shaded and protected from rain, and we really like that. The 63, which is the same hull as the 60 (there is only one mold for both boats) has more interior space, but very little exterior space (smaller cockpit, and no flybridge). So depending on how much you like outside space vs inside space, the 63 is an alternative. But the 60s outsell the 63 by probably 4:1, so most people seem to favor the exterior space.

Not to hijack the thread, but responding to the v-berth sleeping arrangement question, we do not do either. We purchased a queen size memory foam topper and using electric shears, cut it to essentially European full size dimensions. (56" x 70") The thick pad fits in the v-birth crosswise and easily accepts full size fitted sheets. Like a summer camp cot, we leave the bed made up and roll it up to the bulkhead when not in use. Please don't use our dimensions for your boat without measuring.

Wifey B: You fit two adults into 56" x 70" for sleeping? :eek:

I’d love to buy Twisted’s boat. I bet it’s perfect.

Now off to get a lotto ticket!

I hear you. That video walk through is just astounding. I could see myself telling my wife “I’m going to be the basement working on stuff” or “no problem, I’ll just put that in the basement”.

I also agree that the large aft cockpit is wonderful. Perfect for the PNW.

I've been aboard Tanglewood and it's an outstanding boat. I can't imagine finding a better or more thoughtfully outfitted, equipped, and maintained N60. I wish I had the money!

We just had a N55 show up at our marina last week. The couple that own it were nice enough to give a tour to anyone here at the marina who wanted to take a look. Impressive to say the least. Not only could you eat off the engine room floor, you could eat off the engine as well.

I think it means your life is relatively short as compared to the time you will be dead.:eek:

I think one of our Aussie members, maybe BruceK, had a tag line, "you're a long time looking at the lid".

Last edited:
What's the deal with the vessels name?? "Long time dead"?

Its probably a west coast thing...you massachusettesians would never understand! You needed to eat, drink and smoke the grateful dead for a couple decades before you'd name your million dollar boat something like that. I've still got a couple Bob Weir t shirts and a few old joints laying around. Probably as close to that boat as I'll ever get.

Its probably a west coast thing...you massachusettesians would never understand! You needed to eat, drink and smoke the grateful dead for a couple decades before you'd name your million dollar boat something like that. I've still got a couple Bob Weir t shirts and a few old joints laying around. Probably as close to that boat as I'll ever get.

Wifey B: I heard of them. They were a band old people talked about when I was a kid, I think. :rofl:

Thanks for asking. We are building a Nordhavn 68. I'm a glutton for punishment :)
Having built a couple of boats myself and helped build plenty more I don't envy you at all.
So much lofting, endless mixing of resin, lamininating, sanding, grinding, toxic chemicals a plenty, fun fun fun. ;)

I think it means your life is relatively short as compared to the time you will be dead.:eek:

I think one of our Aussie members, maybe BruceK, had a tag line, "you're a long time looking at the lid".

That's correct. It has nothing to do with the Grateful Dead.

Long Time Dead

I ended up purchasing Long Time Dead (now Sea Trial) 55-40. Definitely a big boat! We are enjoying her though.

We purchased Long Time Dead. Definitely an odd name. She is now Sea Trial.

We purchased Long Time Dead. Definitely an odd name. She is now Sea Trial.

Pretty boat. If the year was 2026 or so I might have snatched it before you did!

In any case, congrats! It's really a beautiful boat. Did you work with Paul? Super nice guy.

Congrats on your new boat.

Where do you plan on keeping her? Curious, because DP has a long wait list.

We toured a couple before we bought Sonas. They are fine boats, but with one pretty major drawback. The guest cabin is marketed as a double but is really only suitable for a single, unless you have two really small people who don't mind their feet being together at the bottom of the bed!
We really needed a full queen guest bunk, the small second bunk was a show stopper for us.
If I get to play footsies on a Nordhavn I’d say I’m doing pretty damn good .

If I get to play footsies on a Nordhavn I’d say I’m doing pretty damn good .

On my N46 fwd stateroom..... I raised it about 8 inches. 2 results, under berth storage and less footsies play.

What's up with the no walking around the deck on them? I'm sure they are able boats, but so ugly.

Back
Top Bottom