Touching up the salon and galley floors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Started yesterday by moving out the furniture. This morning I sanded. Then the missus used dry mops and a hot water Shark to get rid of all the dust. We waiting a few hours before another mop and vinegar wash to get rid of any dust that settled. Then this evening I put on the first coat. It looks a bit shiny now, but when it dries it will not be as I went with semi-gloss.

Another coat tomorrow morning, then we will Murphy Oil Soap the walls a couple of times.

Will probably do the Pilot House and stairs next week.

[also noticed that the starboard floor hatch holly is not lined up so wondering if it was put in the wrong way around, will play with that].

Attachments

• Floor1.jpg
    Floor1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 98
  • Floor2.jpg
    Floor2.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Floor3.jpg
    Floor3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Oh yeah!! That is a beautiful sole and well worth the effort!

Last edited:
Looks very nice. What did you coat it with? My hatches also fit both ways but the holly strips only line up one way.

We had Sonas over at Lamb's boat yard last September for some work. We asked to meet with their wood guy before we took her away. He came on board and we asked him to walk around the boat with us and give us advice on a wood maintenance plan.

He recommended Min-Wax for the floors. Up to us if we wanted to go satin, semi, or gloss. Before I bought the varnish I Googled the different finishes and look at the images. There were lots of sailboats using full gloss. But the sole of a sailboat is much smaller and narrower that a trawler, so works fine with lots of "pop." I just couldn't see my amount of floor with gloss - even though we do use rugs. I did want some pop, so decided on semi-gloss. I will see in the am how the dry varnish looks.

I will do a second coat, and may also add a third if the second coat dries in time tomorrow. We may have rain due on Thursday and I have a sofa and table under tarps in the cockpit so I want to get them inside.

We also asked the wood guy about the walls. Some had faded with sunlight. He advised against varnishing saying that we should first be liberal with the Murphys Oil Soap and see how that does.

Last edited:
Looks great. I need to do that to salty eventually. Looking forward to seeing some finished pics.

John

It looks darker than it really is. The first photo was taken around noon (here in FL) and the last around 6:00pm when the sun was about gone. It should (hopefully) look a bit lighter tomorrow! :)

If you use the Murphy's then decide it needs a recoat you will have to wash the walls with TSP to remove the Murphy's. If you don't there may be bonding issues.

The floors look fantastic..

Rob

Very nice .

If you use the Murphy's then decide it needs a recoat you will have to wash the walls with TSP to remove the Murphy's. If you don't there may be bonding issues.

The floors look fantastic..

Rob

Yes, the wood guy warned us about that. He said the Murphy's would coat the laminate and any varnish would not take. We would have to wash off the walls first.
Right now, because we have a very busy season planned, we will go ahead with the Murphys, and whether or not it looks good we will keep it on this year. Then look to reset in the fall with another approach.

Please post photos after it is all done. I am going to be refinishing my decks in the next year or so.

Back
Top Bottom