Totally Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to the original topic about that classic totally trawler and talking about anchoring?*

It would seem with the pilot house mid ship it would help prevent the boat from swinging as much as a pilot house further forward.* As the house would sort of acts like a vane?* Also the full deep keel would help prevent it from swinging as much.* It would seem the less the boat swings at anchor the straighter the pull and less side twisting action on the anchor.* *Also the PNW water is deep where anchoring is usually 50+ ft so having all chain rode and a heavy anchor is important.* Most long range Trawler carry more than one type of anchor and two rodes.* We have three anchors, 70# Danforth, 95# Forjord and a 70# QCR, and two rodes, chain and rope. I would prefer a 145# anchor but our windless can not handle the weight with 200 ft of chain.* *What might work on the East side thin water, probable will not work in the West side thick water?* The West side tide swings, 15 ft, which is more than the total East depth?* So some boats may rely totally on the anchor and some boats rely not so much on the anchor but other/total aspects of anchoring?* Some day I would love to anchor in 10 to 15 ft of water!*

nomadwilly wrote:

What's "packing an anchor"?
Sorry Phil, I need to answer this question because it is so ridiculous and I see it happening all the time.* Then I shall never speak of anchoring again...

"Packing" is usually done by runabouts but I have seen it done by someone in 30+ foot Sea Ray.* When anchoring in shallow water, the "packer" gets out of the boat and pushes (or packs)*the anchor into the sea floor in an attempt to set it.* You can dive down and pack or use your foot if you're really good at it.* Usually the packer uses insufficient scope, doesn't get set, and packs again, all the while wondering why the anchor broke loose after being buried so well.* Many times though the packer carries such an oversized anchor that it does hold, reinforcing the notion that packing an anchor does indeed help.* Some packers also do not carry tide tables, and end up "high and dry."* If anyone needs it, I can explain how one becomes high and dry.
wink.gif

I don't really have anything against the Sea Ray Sundancer (well except for the bubble decks and shoe-like appearance).* But as Tim said, there seem to be an awful lot of them around here, so I'm sure they represent a fine*value.*

-- Edited by Egregious on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 12:32:23 PM

Egregious wrote:

*"high and dry."* If anyone needs it, I can explain how one becomes high and dry.
wink.gif

*OK.
*This I gotta hear.
How does one become high and dry?
biggrin.gif

SD

skipperdude wrote:

Egregious wrote:

"high and dry."* If anyone needs it, I can explain how one becomes high and dry.
wink.gif

OK.
This I gotta hear.
How does one become high and dry?
biggrin.gif

SD

If it's what I think, the discussion needs to move to OTDE.*
biggrin.gif

Stoned (high) and out of weed (dry).

Not that I'd know anything about that.

I was thinking something about a martini and a ladder.

SD

That fattie sounds interesting.

Now that I know a little about packing an anchor I feel burdened with the knowledge.

Thanks,
kinda sorta

Well, when I found myself aground on Middle Ground in Suisun Bay with a rising tide and wind pushing toward higher ground, my crew*willingly walked out the anchor from my two-foot draft, pocket cutter,*and just dropped it some hundred feet upwind.* *And within 15 minutes or less, we floated off and proceeded like nothing happened.

Ahh walkin' it out and packing are two different things!* OTOH, High and Dry...
I like some of the creative things y'all think up.* I especially like "stoned and out of weed" because some of these guys must have been.

Attachments

• highanddry.jpg
    highanddry.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 66
  • highanddry2.jpg
    highanddry2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 61
  • highanddry3.jpg
    highanddry3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 53
  • highanddry4.jpg
    highanddry4.jpg