Top Five Needed Boat Features

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of our requirements for our current vessel:

~Sundeck, for more space (her's)
I would actually prefer a sedan... but this was important to her. :blush:
~A mechanically solid boat (mine)
~Bow thruster. (both)
~No built in's in the main salon (mine)
~Walk around main berth (both)
~Galley down (both)

In my mind, that's more of an accessory which can be changed. I listed features inherent within the design which were the top considerations for us when buying a boat.

Agreed!

Anchor choice/design/actions is an entity group that stands alone. Once boat is purchased you can easily change anchor/rode/etc... Can't so easily change other attributes of the boat; many can't be changed at all!

Toot, Tooot :speed boat:

Seriously, so long as a boat has well designed systems, you can get by with any of the debated choices.

When buying a new boat why would you want to just get by???

I'll say it again. If you decide on the features you require any boat that meets those features is comparable to any other regardless of brand name or makers designation of type. That puts you in a powerful buying position.

Top 5...

1) A flybridge
2) a warm summer day
3) fuel in the tank
4) some beer in the cooler
5) Wife along for the adventure

Top 5...

1) A flybridge
2) a warm summer day
3) fuel in the tank
4) some beer in the cooler
5) Wife along for the adventure

Now - That's Kicked Back Liven!

Twin diesels
Sound, correctly wired electrical including generator and inverter
Furnace
Good lower helm visibility
Flybridge

Some of our requirements for our current vessel:

~No built in's in the main salon (mine)

Do you include the dinette in your "main salon"? I can understand wanting a real sofa/loveseat/easy chair instead of 4" foam on plywood, but the dinette may be tough.

A beautiful free-standing dining table (assuming it fits well) may look nice, but that's a lot of lost storage under the seats. Chairs don't fit as well as built-in bench seating. Seems to work well on my friend's 100ft, but on a 40-50ft boat might not be possible.

Attachments

• Dining1.jpg
    Dining1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 135
Do you include the dinette in your "main salon"? I can understand wanting a real sofa/loveseat/easy chair instead of 4" foam on plywood, but the dinette may be tough.

A beautiful free-standing dining table (assuming it fits well) may look nice, but that's a lot of lost storage under the seats. Chairs don't fit as well as built-in bench seating. Seems to work well on my friend's 100ft, but on a 40-50ft boat might not be possible.

that depends on your lifestyle. If you are often eating a sandwich or burger up at the helm, wasting space on a full dining room is exactly that, wasted space.

On the other hand, if your chef prepares 2-3 meals a day and you have more than just you and the Admiral to feed, a dining room might be appropriate.

Wifey B: :eek: Sorry. I couldn't get beyond those ugly chairs. Might not be ugly to their moms but are to me. :hide:

I think it so depends on size of boat. On a boat 60' or less not really wanting to give the amount of space shown in the photo to dining. Actually like some dual purpose seating as well. Tables that have fold out ends, can be raised and lowered or folded away, built in seating and table in pilothouse.

How many members actually feel the table in the pilothouse is important?

To me, the pilothouse "command center" is only second in importance to my engine room. However, to my wife it is not a social center and only needs to be a "business center." I lost the argument with my wife on my current design, so my PH is quite small and functional. Helm chair plus watch stander chair, and no full size chart table :cry:

To me, the pilothouse "command center" is only second in importance to my engine room. However, to my wife it is not a social center and only needs to be a "business center." I lost the argument with my wife on my current design, so my PH is quite small and functional. Helm chair plus watch stander chair, and no full size chart table :cry:

We love pilothouse seating and a table. Great place for joining the helmsman and looking out as one travels.

"To me, the pilothouse "command center" is only second in importance to my engine room. However, to my wife it is not a social center and only needs to be a "business center."

We often have use for the table in the Pilothouse - traveling the family can have a meal and converse about the trip with a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage. When not mobile the table up there is often put into use for a computer, TV or board game when not being used for meals or drinks.

As a prospective buyer, a small table in the pilothouse is very attractive. Currently, we eat a lot while moving. Having a small table to put your drink or sandwich seems very appealing as we tend to spend our time together while on the boat (kind of the whole point for us). While not a "needed" feature, it is one of those things that we see and say "I really like that".

For liveaboards, flat hard work areas can be at a real shortage....having them and especially if they are multi purpose is pretty important to me.

They can vary when underway/staying for awhile...but are still valued in my book.

Folding tables hinged, or removable tables drop-slot fastened to wall: Either type with regressive kick stand for upright stability work well in many locations aboard boat. Table top itself, in its middle, can have hinge that runs parallel to wall for longer extension when it's raised from wall and 1/2 its full extension when lowered to be flat against the wall.

This recessive table technique can also work well on decks surrounded by railing.

Where ever put the floor sq. ft. remains unchanged with the table in down position or removed and stored; while there exists immediate availability for extra table space.

Folding tables hinged, or removable tables drop-slot fastened to wall: Either type with regressive kick stand for upright stability work well in many locations aboard boat. Table top itself, in its middle, can have hinge that runs parallel to wall for longer extension when it's raised from wall and 1/2 its full extension when lowered to be flat against the wall.

This recessive table technique can also work well on decks surrounded by railing.

Where ever put the floor sq. ft. remains unchanged with the table in down position or removed and stored; while there exists immediate availability for extra table space.

We could get a few hints from some of these tiny home people on television who build an entire home in 300 sq ft or less. The other people who are so resourceful in utilizing smaller spaces are New Yorkers. I think anything you can think of is available there in smaller sizes, due to the cost of housing.

Fly-bridge it 's there if you want it but if it not there its a bit late to add one (you could pretend and just sit on the roof ) :)

Single engine like all the real fishing TRAWLERS :)

Shaft drive

Walkaround fiberglass deck like the rest of the boat and timber free

360 Visibility inside cabin

"We could get a few hints from some of these tiny home people on television who build an entire home in 300 sq ft or less. The other people who are so resourceful in utilizing smaller spaces are New Yorkers."

Dont think so.

Boaters have been putting a quart in a pint pot for 5000 years. Motor homes and trailers for almost 100.

A back yard home made trailer or "tiny house" as seen in magazines and on TV has few design concepts that actually function ,never mind deserve to be copied.

Mostly it seems to be a way aq fool parting with from $50K to $90K .

The std of living in a used travel trailer would be far higher for $5k.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom