Too many small berths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't had any problem looking for and finding boats with an aft cabin with walkaround queen bed and then one berth in the bow for guests. And thats it.

If a boat says 3 berths I don't even look at it. Solves the issue.

Last edited:
Love my 34’ Mariner Orient Europa - its a single stateroom w/ an island queen. Lots of room in the salon and most of the boat is on a single level (other than the stateroom, head and flybridge).

love my 34’ mariner orient europa - its a single stateroom w/ an island queen. Lots of room in the salon and most of the boat is on a single level (other than the stateroom, head and flybridge).

nice!

My boat originally had two cabins but a former owner changed the forward v berth to a queen walk around and took out the second cabins walls to make it one large master. There were two doors..one to the master which still has a”Captain” plaque above the door..and the second door now opens to a full top to bottom pantry and has a “Crew” plaque. So this boat can still accommodate guests on pull out couches but really has been reconfigured for a couple.

The predecessor to our current Mainship 34T was a 1986 Monk 42, equipped with a spacious walk-around queen berth and private head in the aft cabin, She also sported twin singles in the Vberth. We enjoyed the spaciousness, but since we rarely had sleepover guests, and for other obvious economic reasons, we felt a a slightly smaller and better equipped vessel would suit us.

Thus, we bought the 20-year newer Mainship. It's LOA is about 39 feet, but her beam of 14 feet allows plenty of space, including a comfortable (nearly) walk-around large double berth forward. Though there's oodles of room above and below decks for day guests, the MS34T is more of a "couples" boat.

We have been trying to sell our 35 foot trawler for a couple of months now. People who see it love it but back off because they want two cabins for their un planed guests. It has single queen, walkaround bed. Very comfortable for two people due to the galley-down design. You can see it here. https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/429656/oceania-35-sundeck-gananoque-ontario

There are two quarter births if needed.

Barrie

Sleeping arrangements are different based on boat design, that's what you are missing. IF you like the looks of a pilothouse, you will be pressed to find a walk around berth (although some Kady's have them, located in the bow, which does raise other issues).

Most often a Pilothouse design have all staterooms (SR) in the bow, that is due to the large saloon being in the aft part of the boat, no space below for a SR.

Classic & Sundeck designs allow for a SR in the aft part of the boat with the saloon in between a V berth in the bow.

As was said, our V berth is our pantry, but is easily converted to a berthing area, if necessary, by moving the items there, back to our tub in the master SR. We own a sundeck model and have a queen walk-around berth in our after SR. Wouldn't have it any other way.

So, if you want a walk around stay away from most smaller boats, say under 40' or most pilothouse's.

The sundeck is like another room and we spend a great deal of time there when the boat isn't moving. We bow in at marinas, when possible, so that our sundeck stays private.

Good luck on your search.

Queen size berths in small boats

Most of the berths mentioned are actually a peninsula style berth not a "walk around" . There are many peninsula style berths that are custom shaped and don't support off the shelf mattresses but instead are expensive custom sized mattresses. Most aft staterooms do support off the shelf full normal sized mattresses. Only a few trawlers have normal sized off the shelf queen sized mattress in a bow stateroom. I know that the Great Harbour 37s have stock sized queen mattresses as they have a 15'11" beam. Sort a short and stubby but incredible storage and interior space within the 37' LOA foot print. So keep looking.

Can you explain peninsula vs walk around?
I need length but okay if corners rounded off.

Sounds like a lot of folks use better quality 'memory' foam if mattress needs replacing?

Queen berth

We have a 38 Marine Trader Sundeck. It is a 1986 model and has a walk around queen in the aft cabin along with lots of drawers and lockers plus a 3/4 ensuite bath.

GB 36 MY another full queen in aft cabin

Another possible in the range is a GB 36 MY. Our 1995 had V fwd and walk around queen aft. While the name is 36 its 40ish depending on what you measure.

dhr:rolleyes:

Maybe for storage. Kids/grandchildren enjoy on shorter trips.

interested here too! Never heard that term before! :blush: So, I guess what I have is a "peninsula birth" huh?:popcorn:

Attachments

• OA 42 Master Stateroom.jpg
    OA 42 Master Stateroom.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
We love our 1988 CHB Present Sundeck - center queen in aft master, and nice bunks in forward cabin, with full head and separate shower. Yes, we bought this boat with the intention of having friends and family join us, and in the 6 months we've been cruising, three family members and two sets of friends have joined us - for one, three and four night cruises on the TennTom and TN River. And two of these are for sale on Yachtworld right now:thumb:

Queen size berths in small boats

Yes the Helmsman is vaguely similar to the Great Harbour but not as big vice length.
Helmsman Single Stateroom, no walk around decks, must go thru salon to pilot house to access the fore deck no walk in engines room single not twin engines with skeg protected props, tanks not a big etc. a different design yet is a good boat.exterior starboard side.jpg

exterior stern.jpg

50 forward from door.jpg

40 to strbd stern.jpg

20190709_164322~3.jpg

Due to my bladder, I sleep on the outside of a double-sized berth in the master cabin.

Due to my bladder, I sleep on the outside of a double-sized berth in the master cabin.

Yea, I know of your experience. A prostate as big as TX and a bladder the size RI.
LOL

I need length but okay if corners rounded off.

Sounds like a lot of folks use better quality 'memory' foam if mattress needs replacing?

I haven't heard the term before, but it seems to aptly describe ours; we can walk around the bottom two thirds of our master berth... and it is slightly less wide at the foot than at the shoulders.

FWIW, I don't think I'd care for memory foam; sleep too hot, for me. OTOH, many do like it...

-Chris

We bought a single stateroom Kadey-Krogen Manatee for just that reason. It has a state room forward with a full walk-around queen-sized bed. Several manatees have been used to travel the loop, including one that has done it 29 times. Also skipper Bob did the loop in a manatee.

The advantage of the forward state room is that it gets incoming airflow when you are at anchor.

Check out the American Tug 34 or 36
Single stateroom
AT 41 2 staterooms

Beds

I have been looking for a boat just to do the Great Loop with my wife and have noticed the layouts seem to put a premium on more berths over one standard size queen or even double bed that you can access on both sides.

Why should I carry around all the extra berths just to get one comfortable bed?

What am I missing?

Grand Banks made a version of the 36 Classic with an Island double bed in the aft stateroom. If you can’t find that model for sale, buy the standard layout and have a competent boat carpenter re do the aft stateroom to suit you. It isn’t that expensive.

Don’t rule out an oversized v-berth. It has the equivalent of a queen sized mattress on one side and a full sized mattress on the other with lots of shared space at the top and a handy little step/bench where the two sections split off. While hubby and I were at first disappointed that our main cabin was an oversized v-berth, we quickly discovered some unexpected advantages...

I have been looking for a boat just to do the Great Loop with my wife and have noticed the layouts seem to put a premium on more berths over one standard size queen or even double bed that you can access on both sides.

What am I missing?

People like me who frustratingly browse endless numbers of fairly large boats with only two sleeping cabins both with double beds, when I’m looking for a double, two singles for the kids and then a guest cabin with another couple singles for the maximum flexibility for visitors who may or may not be sleeping together, or even a crewmwmber or captain hired on for long passages. Wish I had your problem.

Last edited:
My 1981 Island Gypsy 36 has just one stateroom fwd, with what I call a semi island(queenish sized) bed, accessible on 3 sides. The cabin was large enough for a PO to create a separate shower compartment from it and still be spacious. The then head/shower became head/wash basin only.
The boat also came in a 2 cabin version (Brisboy`s boat) and a 3 cabin version(AndyG`s boat). I call ours "the selfish couple`s" version.

FWIW, I don't think I'd care for memory foam; sleep too hot, for me. OTOH, many do like it...
Had the same feeling. Debated a long time before finally trying a memory foam mattress, in hopes it would help my wife's back problems.

Now, having actually slept on a memory foam bed, I am completely befuddled at how this rumor ever got started. Or, maybe it's not a rumor so much as just a personal thing -- some sleep hotter, some don't. For me, there is absolutely no difference at all in how warm I feel in the bed, between a memory foam mattress and any other sort of mattress. None. I just sleep much better on the memory foam.

What am I missing?
A Mainship 390 has what you are looking for

Debated a long time before finally trying a memory foam mattress, in hopes it would help my wife's back problems... I just sleep much better on the memory foam.

Never tried one but sounds interesting. However my wife needs firm - so would the MF not work in that situation?

Me however, I sleep well on the floor, at my desk, in the car or on a rolling deck [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom