Too close at anchorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of on the same. Anchored in a cove and a sail boat anchors behind you. Then complains about the smell of your generator.

I started my 3208s covering his boat with smoke and he pulled anchor........

Boy .. you really showed him!

Mark,
I know .. it’s just that you’ve got so many friends ya never know when one will show up and slam into your rail brandishing bottles of something.

Now, I'll admit to tossing fenders out on both sides if it's tight. It's not my fault if you interpret that as my getting ready to build a raft and give me a little extra room ;)

One of the problems is the mix of power boats and sail boats in a crowded anchorage. Both swing very differently as tides and wind changes. I like to have at least 3:1 scope all chain for overnight anchoring which can mean 200-250' of chain out in the PNW. There is always someone that thinks 1:1 scope is fine. Finally, never be downwind of boats rafted together at anchorage unless you enjoy complete pandemonium at 3am as the raft drags towards you. Been there. Tying the stern to shore helps in very deep water but has its own challenges.

I have also found that when power and sails anchor that there are different expectations while at anchor. A lot of sailboats I have seen in my travels tend to run short scopes (no windlass and don't want to pull up alot of rode), while power run out scope of at least 3:1 or more. Then there is always the one or two sailboats that drag or break their anchorage.

I will have to admit I have anchored too close in a crowded anchorage without much choice. Nanaimo B.C., comes to mind. One issue I had last year in choosing a spot to anchor was entering such the anchorage and then judging the right spot to set the anchor, then running out scope as to not swing into someone. I'm getting better, but still need practice.

If people complain that you’re too close I’m thinking you can ignore them or move. The last time that happened to me I moved think’in if we swung close or worse later on it would be me w egg on my face.
But if one is sure you’re far enough away considering the looks of his showing rode, the location of shallows or/and other hazzards l’d just stay put. All they can do is yell at you. I don’t have Sea-Ductions option as my engine dosn’t smoke.

The only real solution is to anchor/moore to mooring balls like in a park. A prime example of this is in Montague Harbour in BC. Many more boats will fit in the harbour and no worries about swinging. Excellent solution.

Sea Duction wrote;
“I have also found that when power and sails anchor that there are different expectations while at anchor. A lot of sailboats I have seen in my travels tend to run short scopes (no windlass and don't want to pull up alot of rode), while power run out scope of at least 3:1 or more.”

Think you mucked up there dude. Sailboats are probably more prone to run long scope but it’s the nylon line that dictates the scope. Even if they anchor shallow the swing is great because of the nylon line. Fishing boats in SE Alaska hate to see smallish sailboats comming cuse they tend to take up the whole bay swinging. So they anchor shallow but at long scope.
This of course varies w boats, rodes and skippers so I speak as a rule of thumb.
I think we need to give a bit of way or room to sailboats while anchoring as they are at a disadvantage w their light rodes and deep draft.

I tend to put out a lot of scope. I always have, on my sailboats and on “Kinship”. This makes me sleep more soundly at night as I’m not concerned about dragging with a 5:1 scope of all chain. However, this creates two other concerns. The first is that if other boaters use short scope, then we swing differently. The second is that other boaters are more likely to drop their anchor over the top of my road.

We hang fenders but they're not likely to benefit. Most damage is from bow and anchor pulpit of attacking boat or to the same area of attacked boat. Side to side collisions aren't where the greatest damage occurs.

We ask them not to anchor there, but if we feel the situation is perilous, then we move. Ultimately, we can only control out boat and we're not going to remain anchored where we're uncomfortable.

Dave I don’t know where there are anchorages that will swallow many boats at 5-1 scope.

Good one...

What’s good about it?

I’m refering to;
Sea Duction’s post #29
And then Comodave’s post;
Post #37 shown above.
Reminds me of the WH dinner.

Last edited:
Dave I don’t know where there are anchorages that will swallow many boats at 5-1 scope.

Yup. Maybe that is why most of the time I try not to anchor where there are a lot of boats. It is a dilemma though, among a bunch of boats I don't want to swing too much, but at the same among a bunch of boats I certainly don't want to drag.

What’s good about it?

I’m refering to;
Sea Duction’s post #29
And then Comodave’s post;
Post #37 shown above.
Reminds me of the WH dinner.

Yes, you have to be careful: snowflakes are everywhere. it is amazing what people will take offense at and from whom and what they accept and from whom.

I use my radar to figure out exactly how far away they are, and am usually comforted to know that they are not as close as they appear. I also keep track of the other vessels' relative positions, so I get plenty of warning if I or anyone close to me is dragging. Lastly, when I see another boat is actually anchoring on top of me, I let them know that they "look like they know what they are doing", but advise them where my anchor lies if it looks like they may drag across it. So far, no real problems.

Interesting. I just retired from 40 years of sail boating and bought a trawler. I have seen this identical thread with the roles reversed on sailing sites. Sail boaters complaining about the over privileged big bucks in their trawlers anchoring poorly and causing problems. I think more would be accomplished if BOTH sides would stop blaming the other for idiots and just accept that there are ALWAYS idiots in both groups.

Rag Baggers say "Its easy to buy a big boat and just drive it like a car. While sailing requires skill just to leave the slip."

Stink potters say "Its cheap to buy a sailboat and skimp on knowledge"

Both are wrong and both are right. BUT idiots are neither all wealthy or all poor. God has given us a good supply of idiots and those of us that are not have the responsibility to help those that are whether they are a Rich Yaughtie or a Poor Hippie.

Interesting. I just retired from 40 years of sail boating and bought a trawler. I have seen this identical thread with the roles reversed on sailing sites. Sail boaters complaining about the over privileged big bucks in their trawlers anchoring poorly and causing problems. I think more would be accomplished if BOTH sides would stop blaming the other for idiots and just accept that there are ALWAYS idiots in both groups.

That kind of clear, rational thinking has no place here. :)

(Up to the reader to decide where "here" is.)

Sometimes it's just simpler to pick up anchor and reposition away from the offender.

Meatloaf at full volume and all the guys dancing naked on the foredeck while the women hide down below. Works every time. Not sure if it is the choice of music or the dancing that does it.

Remember...we're talking about anchoring on the San Francisco Bay. The all male dancing trick might backfire here.

I will confess to blaring a repeating loop of Beer Barrel Polka at full volume while I left for a refreshing dinghy ride. :whistling: :hide: :D

When I returned and turned it off, they restarted the same song on their own boat! :facepalm: We all had a good laugh about it.

Sometimes it's just simpler to pick up anchor and reposition away from the offender.

After politely telling them they're too close, I'm going to surrender and move on. I'm not on the water for a fight and the same people who engage in road rage are out there in boats. I'm chicken and not going to risk getting shot over anchoring and, yes, I've heard first hand of incidents where guns were pulled over it. I don't know who the other people are or whether they're drunk or on drugs or just as..oles with horrible tempers. Too many senseless acts and I'm not going to incite one.

Yup. Maybe that is why most of the time I try not to anchor where there are a lot of boats. It is a dilemma though, among a bunch of boats I don't want to swing too much, but at the same among a bunch of boats I certainly don't want to drag.

Hey Dave when you get to “SE” you’ll not have that problem.
But you’ll need to sharpen your short scope skills and possibly pick a good short scope anchor .. like a ARA SS. Or perhaps a rode w very heavy chain for the first third (up from the anchor) and one size up nylon line after that.

Hate to say it because I don’t like the man but one thing he (Smith) said trying to explain the Rocna’s mediocre (not poor) performance at 3-1 scope is to “set about 5-1 then shorten up”. Good advice to be sure. Most all anchors do well at 5-1 so I’d rather have an anchor that excelled at 3-1 and was good to fair at 5-1. That’s the only way to have it all IMO. Weed is not a problem in SE so perhaps the Supreme is a runner up (at least) for king of the short scopers.

Last edited:
On the flip side, we pulled into a very well protected bay and anchored about 250 feet (by radar) from the closest vessel. Because we were in 20' I put out 60' of chain and relaxed.
Shortly after while I was out for a row the owner of the boat 200' feet away called me over and informed me I was too close and could I move further away? Um, okay, but how much did he have out? 120' he said, and while I tried to suggest he didn't really need that in a very protected bay in 20', he didn't budge. So we moved, which wasn't a big deal, but kind of annoying nonetheless.
The next morning when he pulled up his anchor, I understood. His 31' trawler had at best a 10 lb Danforth.

Anchoring in today's crowded harbors is getting to be a PITA. The other options are renting a mooring or biting the big dollar bullet for a slip if available. Just don't know what the other weekend warrior has for ground tackle.

I know I must have had others worrying about us when we were using Delta anchors with our all chain rode. Both the 55#and 88# things plowed under wind and current. Sure the plowing was slow but we still moved.

I avoid any issues by not anchoring in a bay when there is another boat there. With a motorsailer, I’d get blamed by both motor and sail boats.

Someone anchoring too close was a problem we frequently ran into in the Eastern Caribbean, especially with the charter boats. Found there wasn't much we could do about it. Our typical approach was to stand on the foredeck and take photos as well as telling them how much chain we had out.

A particular problem with the charter boats was that it was unlikely you could ever recover for any damage. The charter boat company would claim they weren't responsible and it was unlikely you could chase the charters themselves. You couldn't get their identity and frequently they were from another country.

If anyone gets too close for comfort and doesn't take the hint, just request their insurance information "in advance, just in case your boat hits us in the middle of the night."

This is a good idea on several levels! It gets the point across without being rude and if anything happens the new arrival can't evade responsibility. Making it about insurance removes a bit of the emotion involved in criticizing another's seamanship.

I don't know about anyone else, but if anyone said that to me - that is requesting insurance info when I've just dropped anchor, I would not be impressed at all. No-one does this deliberately, and it is perplexing how often one ends up further back than intended when anchoring. I'm paranoid about doing it to someone there before me, but understand how easy it is to do, so would take exception to that "what's your insurance co" approach. I prefer to politely advise re probable wind and current changes, and possible unplanned outcomes. That is usually all that is required. Here in Oz anyway. :flowers:

Since anchorages are too crowded and campgrounds are too crowded and cities are too crowded and roads are too crowded and airports are too crowded maybe there’s just too many people.
I can’t belive the number of folks lately that actually think there’s not too many people.

There is an option though. None or few will do it. Run at night and anchor during the day. Is this a joke? Yes.

But short of moving to Alaska there’s no solution. So this is a “coping” thread.

"It is a dilemma though, among a bunch of boats I don't want to swing too much, but at the same among a bunch of boats I certainly don't want to drag."

A Bahamas style anchoring will keep the boat mostly in one spot , with minor effort.

An anchor trip line gives the later arrivals the location of your anchor.

"Anchoring in today's crowded harbors is getting to be a PITA."

Been hearing song that since the late 50's.

“Been hearing that song since the late 50’s”
HaHaHaHa
It’s true.

If you want room for lots of boats anchoring at 5:1 come to the Sea of Cortez. We are often the only boat in a beautiful anchorage. :dance: And although we do have folks drop their anchor close to us occasionally, it is not common.

Cheers, Bill

Sea Duction wrote;
“I have also found that when power and sails anchor that there are different expectations while at anchor. A lot of sailboats I have seen in my travels tend to run short scopes (no windlass and don't want to pull up alot of rode), while power run out scope of at least 3:1 or more.”

Think you mucked up there dude. Sailboats are probably more prone to run long scope but it’s the nylon line that dictates the scope. Even if they anchor shallow the swing is great because of the nylon line. Fishing boats in SE Alaska hate to see smallish sailboats comming cuse they tend to take up the whole bay swinging. So they anchor shallow but at long scope.
This of course varies w boats, rodes and skippers so I speak as a rule of thumb.
I think we need to give a bit of way or room to sailboats while anchoring as they are at a disadvantage w their light rodes and deep draft.

Not in my experience in cruising the PNW, B.C. and SE Alaska. Many of the same places you have seen Eric. I saw a lot of sailboats putting out short rodes and quit a few of those dragging or breaking anchor. You can ALWAYS count on a sail boat breaking free at many popular anchorages like San Jauns, Nanaimo and gulf islands. See it many many times.

BTW I only smoke until the 3208s get a good warm up.

We ask them not to anchor there, but if we feel the situation is perilous, then we move. Ultimately, we can only control out boat and we're not going to remain anchored where we're uncomfortable.

Good point!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom