Tips for having guests meet you in SE Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcoop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Time To Play
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
We are planning for our first trip to SE Alaska and we have friends and relatives that would like to fly in to meet us for a short time. I know where Alaska Air flies into but that is about it. Are there things you learned meeting guests on a schedule? Are there towns that are better than others? What questions should I be asking?

I would pick a port that is closest to where you want to cruise with your guests. For example, if you want to got Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay, then Juneau would be your best bet. If you want to explore the outer islands and bay around Sitka, then that's a good spot. But it's a hike from Sitka to Glacier Bay, for example. Petersburg or Wrangle are good central locations.

My experience in the San Juan and Gulf Islands may not be applicable, but our friends chartered float planes and landed/taxied to the seaplane docks that we had tied up to. Very convenient (especially as compared to the alternatives of taking a ferry, etc.) and not nearly as expensive as I would have guessed.

Meeting friends in Ketchikan and then cruising Misty Fiords is also an option.

We often pick up crew in either Sitka or Juneau, and drop them off again in the other. Petersburg is a fine location too, but flights may be less convenient.

Also often pick up or drop off or both in Craig, especially if salmon fishing is a major objective. You can take a float plane between Ketchikan and Craig, but it can be delayed if the mountains are socked in. Klawock, a few miles from Craig, has an airport for planes that can fly when the float planes cannot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Trawler Forum mobile app

I tell our crew to be ready to be delayed by weather conditions, and always plan an itinerary with some extra days for waiting for weather. One extra for every five seems to work.

Juneau to Sitka, for instance, I might plan three weeks with four days of slop for weather.

If you want to do Glacier Bay, an approach we've used with great success for many years is to call when we're nearby, when the office opens up at 7am, and ask if there is an opening for a permit (probably for a minimum of 3 days). Many folks schedule in advance, then find for one reason or another they can't make it on schedule.

I second Richard's comments (RCook) on Craig if your guests want to fish for salmon, especially in July and August. Anytime during the summer, our guests have been able to fly Ketchikan > Craig on land-based planes with few weather problems.

If you want to avoid the chaos of Auk Bay, consider Hoonah. It’s a short flight from Juneau with several flights daily.

Tom

Ketchikan has the advantage of having direct water access to the airport. Tracy Arm/Pack Creek/Baranof Warm Springs is a highlight-reel itinerary for first-timers out of Juneau. Glacier Bay via White Sulphur Hot Springs, Elfin Cove, and Point Adolphus out of Sitka will also wow them.

Don’t underestimate the distances involved within SE AK. It’s easy to get too ambitious with a short guest schedule and spend all your time getting from one place to the next.

The entire area is pretty magical. Don’t try to do all the big destinations in one trip, or even one summer.

I had some fun having guests fly into Hoonah and then scheduling a small plane, off the strip at Excursion Inlet when they went home. Added a little bit of "Alaska" flavor to the trip.

Unfortunately have found often you can reliably pick only one. Either time or place. Depending upon guests schedules look for them to fly in to a central location to the middle of where you’re expected to be with the understanding they may need a short bit of travel to get to where you end up if they pick time. If they pick place they need to understand you might be a day or three late or early.
So we generally pick a place near an airport which holds interest to us. Then try to get there early and just wait for them to show up. Unfortunately have found that has the best success in getting both time and place.
If their schedules allow and we all go off cruising find it’s best to not book the return flight until shortly before their departure. Then have less hassle and better luck with their being able to spend more time cruising. Otherwise find having less flexibility means as captain you need to curtail cruising to make sure they on their flight exactly when and where they scheduled.

The above is right on the money. We pick up guest in Wrangell and drop them off in Sitka 2 weeks later.

Alaska is the only big planes go. For Wrangel, Petersburg and Sitka, every day one flight north and one flight south. Alaska may add an additional flight if needed. K-Town and Juneau has extra flights.

Thanks everyone, as usual there is a wealth of information from this community. I wasn't aware of flying into Hoonah or last minute access to Glacier Bay.

I think "guy with a boat" saw my itinerary and is having a good laugh. I am sure I have too many places on my list to visit next summer. I know how many miles between stops but my guests are thinking about land travel.

I am thinking about using Juneau as a base camp for one group and another guest we could pickup at a Juneau and drop off at Sitka via Glacier Bay.

One caution if you choose to use small planes to connect, such as to Hoonah or Craig. It is not uncommon, even in the summer, for bad weather — low clouds and rain — to keep small planes from flying, sometimes for days at a time.

The alternative to Hoonah is Gustavus which has an instrument approach and daily summer service from Alaska Airlines. They don’t have much of a dock and no small boat harbor, but you can pick up pax there with your dinghy for sure. You might also be able to a transfer at Bartlett Cove.

Tom

The alternative to Hoonah is Gustavus which has an instrument approach and daily summer service from Alaska Airlines.

Tom

Just looked at the 2023 summer schedule. Remarkably cheap from Seattle. A lot of variants from other places, but all arrive on the same leg, arriving GST at 4:36 pm.

I have spent the past 30 years cruising SE Alaska and have a guest/crew change each week. By now I taken over 290 guests for one week cruises. Never missed a connection. The big towns (Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau and Sitka ) all have Alaska Air flights. The smaller villages (eg. Hoonah, Kake, Craig, Angoon, Hydaburg, etc) are all served by smaller planes from the Alaska Air cities.

I plan the summer's 10-12 week cruise route based on where I wish to go. Then I assign my guests on the legs that I think are most suitable for them. Typically someone arrives at the boat on Sunday afternoon and we leave the next morning. We travel 30-50 miles each day, typically at 6knots on my Willard 30. I leave one day of wiggle room for bad weather although I have almost never needed it. I arrive at the next destination on Friday afternoon and the guest leaves on Saturday morning. I then have about 30 hours to resupply and regain my sanity before the next guest arrives.

to give the Alaska experience to my friends, each week I try to catch one salmon, one halibut and one dinner of crab. The rest is pasta. If I end the week in one of the bigger towns my guest buys me dinner and breakfast because I do not cook in port. That is their only cost except for their airfare. The guest(s) do the dishes and I do the cooking, such as it is.

I haul the boat in Petersburg at the season's end. Yes this is an intensive schedule but i have never been bored.

Climate change seems to be making ever wetter summers in SE.

This was my last summer to cruise AK. I have to keep remembering: "Don't cry when its over, smile that it happened."

You guys are making this easy on me, I thought it would be much more difficult. I really appreciate all the great input. I am going to have the first discussion tonight to see how serious or guests are and what they think cruising is.

You guys are making this easy on me, I thought it would be much more difficult. I really appreciate all the great input. I am going to have the first discussion tonight to see how serious or guests are and what they think cruising is.

I send out an email to family and friends in January asking them to send me 2 dates if you want to go. Deadline Mid- March so I can put it all together.

Good Luck.

When inviting guests for SE Alaska I looked for enthusiasm for the adventure. If I invited someone who said, "let me get back to you on that", they were off my list.

Never try to encourage guests to come. They have to want the adventure themselves. The weather can be very wet and not what they expect.

Try to be clear that this adventure is not for everyone.

If your guests can afford it, urge them to buy flight tickets that are fully refundable. Then you won't be under extra stress if you have a breakdown.

There are large supermarkets in all the towns that AA flies into. And the small villages all have well stocked markets , although the vegis might be a little old.

A cruising boat is not stocked like a home kitchen. So ask your guests if they have any food restrictions so you can buy the correct vitals before they board.

Also be sure to ask what medical problems they might have.

Richard P

It’s interesting there are clearly boat people and not. Some will cruise with us never asking to return and some can’t wait for the next time. First few years everyone wanted to come then it tailed off. Of those who enjoyed themselves several bought boats.

The deadlines in this case are being driven by the guests. The guests are trying to get vacation times put in at work for the entire year so they get their requested times. I on the other hand am fine with short-term planning even when I was working. Planning a cruise for several months is the most long-term detailed planning I have done.

I have asked everyone that once they are ready to get tickets to get travel insurance or refundable tickets. I don't know what that does to costs but it makes me feel better in case something happens and the schedule is out the window or port hole.

I think everyone is excited to go but they are used to doing day trips and going back to a hotel at night. So I guess it is my job to draw a better picture so they will understand that it different.

We too have done 30 years of having hundreds of guests on board while cruising SE Alaska. My Momma always stressed that one should share their toys with ones friends. All the above tips are most excellent. I would just add to tell your guests that there maybe times(days) that you may be anchored in a remote place unable to move because of weather conditions. We tell them to be sure and bring a book(s) or some device that can keep them entertained during wet, foul weather. We keep cards and other games on board as well. We've never had a guest miss their flight although, the cruise schedule needs to remain flexible to make that happen.

Tator

During the pandemic, we moved our boat - which is normally moored in BC - to Alaska. After a couple months of cruising around SE Alaska last summer, we decided to get a permanent slip in Petersburg.

Petersburg has some great advantages as a SE Alaska base. It is centrally located to all of the SE Alaska highlights (except for the Sitka, west Baranof area). The weather conditions are usually extremely calm because of its unique geographical position. The harbor is incredibly well run - undoubtedly, the best managed harbor in SE Alaska. The town has everything you need within easy walking distance, including a surreally large and well-stocked grocery store. We love Petersburg, and have decided to maintain our permanent slip there so that we can alternate winters between BC and Alaska.

There are a couple of disadvantages to Petersburg. Mainly, it’s the flights. They can be expensive and inconvenient, sometimes requiring an overnight stay in Seattle depending on your origination point. Without a doubt, Juneau has the most convenient transportation options for air travel, followed after that by Ketchikan. The other disadvantage of Petersburg is the somewhat mysterious lack of an active business community of marine trades and a large marine lift. The essentials are there, but don’t expect to get your gelcoat worked on or your stabilizers repaired in Petersburg.

Don’t underestimate the distances involved within SE AK. It’s easy to get too ambitious with a short guest schedule and spend all your time getting from one place to the next.

The entire area is pretty magical. Don’t try to do all the big destinations in one trip, or even one summer.

+++ 100 on this comment. Distances in Alaska can be waaaaaay longer than a “normal” run in the San Juans or Gulf Islands. Not that it is absolutely necessary for safety reasons, but we often found ourselves running 10+ hours on many days in Alaska. This is one of the realities of hitting the “highlights” in Alaska on a summer cruise.

The other disadvantage of Petersburg is the somewhat mysterious lack of an active business community of marine trades and a large marine lift. The essentials are there, but don’t expect to get your gelcoat worked on or your stabilizers repaired in Petersburg.

Then Wrangell ship yard would be your best bet.:thumb:

It’s interesting there are clearly boat people and not. Some will cruise with us never asking to return and some can’t wait for the next time. First few years everyone wanted to come then it tailed off. Of those who enjoyed themselves several bought boats.

Agree! We didn't have any boat friends so took a cruise with The Boat Company, a small boat cruiser with 10 state rooms and is a licensed fishing vessel and cruised from Sitka to Juneau over a week staying in coves (no cities). LOVED IT. Just got our own Nordic Tug 32 and plan to explore more of SE AK on our own. Still working full-time and have some skill development to take on, but look forward to fulfilling this dream! It's fun to hear about others experience and recs, here, especially since so many are NT owners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom